• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Kaypro II Bootdisk plz help

prinz3nroll3

Hello,
i ve an Kaypro II, both floppy drives are TM100-1A single sided 40 track.
The problem is i ve no bootdisk.

How can i create a bootdisk from my "normal" pc.
which floppy drive is necessary?
will an 1,2MB 5 1/4" Drive work?
i own floppy disks, 720Kbyte.
thanks for your reply

greetings

You'll need ImageDisk and the appropriate boot disk image from "System/Install disks" further down that page.

You should really use a 360KB drive, but the 1.2MB might work long enough for you to boot the machine and use the B: drive to generate a proper boot disk on the Kaypro.

hello,
it is not possible to write on an 360kByte floppy with an 1,2MB drive?
i ve no option to degasus the floppy.

it is possible to write a 360KB disk with a 1.2MB drive HOWEVER DO NOT DO THIS! It makes the 360KB disk unwriteable in a 360KB drive.

Here's the problem.

A 360K drive packs 48 tracks to the inch; a 1.2M drive packs 96 to the inch. A 1.2M writes a 360K by stepping 2 tracks for every 360K track--this means that the tracks are only half the width of the 360K.

If there is nothing on the disk (e.g., it's been degaussed), this doesn't present a problem. But if the disk has been written or formatted previously, the noise kicked up by the leftover data on the odd tracks can well make the disk unreadable in a 360K drive.

Why not just remove one of the drives from your Kaypro and install it temporarily in your PC to do the writing? (Use the B: drive--it's most probably jumpered the way you need it to be in a PC--and it leaves the A: drive for booting).

Here's the problem.

A 360K drive packs 48 tracks to the inch; a 1.2M drive packs 96 to the inch. A 1.2M writes a 360K by stepping 2 tracks for every 360K track--this means that the tracks are only half the width of the 360K.

If there is nothing on the disk (e.g., it's been degaussed), this doesn't present a problem. But if the disk has been written or formatted previously, the noise kicked up by the leftover data on the odd tracks can well make the disk unreadable in a 360K drive.

Why not just remove one of the drives from your Kaypro and install it temporarily in your PC to do the writing? (Use the B: drive--it's most probably jumpered the way you need it to be in a PC--and it leaves the A: drive for booting).

hello,
ive connect the drive @ an socket a board, but there is only the option 720KByte in the bios.
i insert an floppy and want to format the floppy, but the stepper motor wont move, although i get the error the drive is busy @ the socket a board.
if the drive connected @ the kaypro the stepper motor moves.

plz help me :)

What make and model floppies are in your Kaypro?

Don't worry about the BIOS setting--you'll have to use special software anyway (e.g. ImageDisk) to create your floppies and it won't care about what your BIOS says.

Let's get the jumpers on the floppy straightened out first.

hi thx for the answer.
see my first post:
i ve an Kaypro II, both floppy drives are TM100-1A single sided 40 track

I missed that, sorry.

Okay, you want to set your drive select jumper on the drive for DS1 (i.e. the second drive select). You'll see where this is by the 16-pin IC socket with a shunt plug inserted near the drive cable edge connector (location 1E). Only DS1 (pins 3 and 14) should be connected. You can use a short U-shaped piece of bare wire to do this. Also, the terminator socket a bit closer to the cable connection at 2F should have a terminator package installed.

Using a normal PC floppy cable, this should do the trick.

For more information on the drive, see the user manual.

Hello,
today i ve time again for the drive.
now i connect the tm100 drive again to my athlon xp mobo.
i jumpered the drive as ds1 and insert the terminator
i enable in the bios 360kb disk and boot ms-dos (win98se)
i copy the image disk 117 on the harddisk and use testfdc
testfdc A: 360 /D
-> the head moves up and down, but the motor wont spin.

where is the problem? where is my mistake?

thanks again for reply

This is strange--the TM100-1 was the first drive supplied with the IBM 5150, so it should work.

Check your jumper setting here

The motor is controlled through pin 16 on the interface; with power applied, but the signal cable disconnected ,grounding it should cause the motor to spin (it's not conditioned on drive select.)

Check your power supply connections at the drive--make sure that you're getting the +12V needed for the motor.

Hello,
thx a lot for your answer!

i check the power supply and the jumper settings (DS0 / DS1)
the power supply (5V / 12V) are okay
but the motor wont move only the head moves.

i insert it again in the kaypro, there moves the motor.

mhhh

and now?

Have you tried applying power from the PC to the drive, but not connecting the signal cable and momentarily connecting pin 16 to the DC return (black lead on the power connector)?

The motor should come on. If that is the case, try it on the PC without the terminator inserted. It could be that your modern PC controller lacks the drive current capacity to overcome a 150 ohm pullup resistor.

Hello,
i ve test with and without terminator -> motor wont move.
now i ve test the pin16 against ground -> motor move
-> the next step i connect pin16 to ground permanent!
the motor moves testfdc work for 250kbs
what are the settings for imagedisk?
i ve the kaypro2.imd this is cp/m 2.2
i write the image to the disk, but
the kaypro wont boot :(
and now
thx again for reply!

Hello,
i ve test with and without terminator -> motor wont move.
now i ve test the pin16 against ground -> motor move
-> the next step i connect pin16 to ground permanent!
the motor moves testfdc work for 250kbs
what are the settings for imagedisk?
i ve the kaypro2.imd this is cp/m 2.2
i write the image to the disk, but
the kaypro wont boot :(
and now
thx again for reply!

It's curious that your system won't pull pin 16 down to activate the motor. I wonder if you have a bad cable?

Basically you want to set IMD for 40 cylinders, single-step and 250Kbps.

If the Kaypro still doesn't boot, there are some things to check.

First of all, make sure that you're using the single-sided image of the Kaypro diskette. Another is to check the version of the ROM used in the Kaypro--there were some after-market vendors that used incompatible disk formats for their ROMs, such as the Advent TurboROM.

Hello,
where can i find the single sided cp/m image and the right version for my kaypro II?
81-149 and 81-146 are printed on two chips.

thx a lot for your help

Back