• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

twitt-jr: PCjr does Twitter

it's too bad mbbrutman didn't write this, but i think he's more conserned about IRCjr right now ;)

I will say that more people are figuring out more things to do with obsolete computers though.

It's cute, but the assist from the Linux box kind of ruins the novelty.

I'll give him style points for:
  • Programming in Cartridge BASIC
  • Using the modems

But using real Ethernet and real TCP/IP running natively on the machine would have been much more noteworthy.

Mike Chambers - where is the AOL IM Client you had running?

I agree with mbbrutman. Ahm posted this link on the IRC channel the other day, and it left me with more questions than I was impressed. I know practically nothing about Twitter, but suppose communication to their servers is done over TCP/IP, possibly even HTTP? I get the feeling you would browse a particular web page, but perhaps that is an optional way of reading the messages.

The page mentions Ruby on Rails and the backend being kind of heavyweight but I thought the computation hard part was the server end, that a relatively inferior client should be able to poll and pop home new messages as subscribed to. After all there exists HTML browsers for 1 MHz 6502 computers, and a mainly (entirely?) text based service like Twitter shouldn't really be more complex than a generic, low end web page.

I'm not a twitt ;-) so also not that familiar with the extent of information passed via that application but as far as I knew it's just a mass SMS client. So if I have friends with way too much time on their hands, and I have a minor ego complex and too much time on my hands, whenever I'm doing something or going to lunch or going back for another chewy corporate coffee I would sign in, post "Chewing more corporate coffee." and it would sms my friends cell phones.

So I'd image any serial connection to a cell phone and receiving the data/SMS would work. Alternatively you could probably do much cooler stuff like sending data out if it detects X pin on the parallel port active. Your home brew PCjr security system. Oooh.. better yet.. Herojr with a PCjr mounted on it connected to a cell phone to roam around the house and send you information if it detects something.

Anyone have a Herojr I can have? j/k

Back