• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

A big haul of vintage stuff I got for free

QuantumII

Veteran Member
Hi all

Yesterday (Sunday) I went out to pick up a lot of different stuff from a HUGE load of vintage equipment, for free too... :) What I've picked up is only a fraction of the total.

So far I got this:

California Computer Systems 2200 S-100 machine (Exploding caps, but seems to work now)

Commodore 1541 Floppy (Powers on, but nothing happens when I send a Load "name" ,8 ,1. Maybe it's modded?)

Apple Lisa II (With some battery acid leakage inside, might fixable. No keyboard)

TeleVideo TS-806/20 (Poweres up and the HDD spins, although a bit noisy. I will need to connect it to a terminal to test it further)

Texas Instruments Business System 300 (Works, but I don't have the keyboard)

Apple Profile 5 MB HDD (VERY noisy HDD, probably not working)

IBM 5154 EGA display (Exploding cap, but otherwise fine I think)

An NEC D5126 HDD

A Tandberg Data TDV 2324 Z-80 machine (With 8" floppydrive and a HDD inside. Powers on, but HDD does not spin)

2x Compaq Portable (The first ones) One works fine, and the other one has a RAM error.

A set of 5,25" floppies with CPM anf Wordstar etc etc

A box of 50 new 5,25" floppies

Two Cromenco S-100 cards

Some 8" floppies with CPM and WordStar

Things I did not get:

An Amiga desktop something (sans keyboard)

2x IBM Monochrome monitors
1x IBM 5153 (case damage)

Digital VT100 terminals (No keyboards within reach)

5 tons of other stuff

My car was full, that's the reason.. And I have limited space..

I plan to go on a second trip by the way.

Pictures will come a little later. I just finished wiping the dust of everything and basic testing.

EDIT: I think I will have to update my sig now :)

A little update on the Compaq Portable that works:

I was playing MS Flightsim on the machine when it suddenly locked up.. I shut off the power and tried to power it on again.. Nothing.. No fan, nothing at all..

I let it sit for 15 minutes (With the power unplugged) and tried to power it on again. Guess what ? It booted right up..

I could reproduce this 2 times.. Any idea on what it can be ? A faulty cap acting up ?

A little update on the Compaq Portable that works:

I was playing MS Flightsim on the machine when it suddenly locked up.. I shut off the power and tried to power it on again.. Nothing.. No fan, nothing at all..

I let it sit for 15 minutes (With the power unplugged) and tried to power it on again. Guess what ? It booted right up..

I could reproduce this 2 times.. Any idea on what it can be ? A faulty cap acting up ?

Most likely. The strange thing is that the display didn't black-out. If it was a power failure, that should've happend.

Maybe one capacitor is making signal-noise.

Most likely. The strange thing is that the display didn't black-out. If it was a power failure, that should've happend.

Maybe one capacitor is making signal-noise.

Yes, there's no black-out, it just hangs and refuses to power on after I cycle the power.

Mine does that all the time. Not the lockup part but if I turn it off and back on quickly, HD doesn't spin up, doesn't boot. I have to leave it off say 3 minutes or so, turn it on, it boots up again, HD spins up, etc. Billdeg and I had a conversation about "what a piece of sh*t" the first luggable Compaqs are. Of course, mine was one of those infamous crappy shipping jobs. I had to piece it back together.

Mine does that all the time. Not the lockup part but if I turn it off and back on quickly, HD doesn't spin up, doesn't boot. I have to leave it off say 3 minutes or so, turn it on, it boots up again, HD spins up, etc. Billdeg and I had a conversation about "what a piece of sh*t" the first luggable Compaqs are. Of course, mine was one of those infamous crappy shipping jobs. I had to piece it back together.

HDD eh? Maybe I should add one as well. I can part out the Tandberg Z-80 system (I have no use for it, It's large and does not do anything except spinning the floppy drive when powered up) to get the FH MFM HDD inside. I already have some spare MFM controllers and cables.

But maybe you're right, that it's indeed a hardware bug that causes the "delay" in power up.

Now, the lock-up part.. Maybe it's MS Flightsim that causes it. I will try some other stuff on it too.

After 5 minutes of use ? I don't think so, but I will try to run it with the cover off and look for "hot spots"

Do you need Disk packs for DEC's btw ? there were a few in the pile I got stuff from.

Well, a few seconds is enough for my Core 2 without a fan :twisted:

Depends, which kind?

I don't remember. I can get a few when I go back there. It'll be in a week or two. I'm getting married soon so there is other things to take care of in addition to my computer hobby :p

Commodore 1541 Floppy (Powers on, but nothing happens when I send a Load "name" ,8 ,1. Maybe it's modded?)

Did you try ,9 through ,11? The drive address may have been changed.

I don't remember. I can get a few when I go back there. It'll be in a week or two. I'm getting married soon so there is other things to take care of in addition to my computer hobby :p

cool, just don't fill up your garage for me, the shipping overseas will probably be prohibitive.

And congratulations! :wedding:

Congratulations. Hopefully the Significant Other is compatible with piles of vintage gear :)

Tez

Hehe yeah, she's cool with it as long as I don't fill up the apartment.

Thanks all :)

Regarding the 1541, I will try the different addresses and see if it works. I took out the controller board and found two wires soldered underneath and two screws were missing so someone has been fooling around in there.

The journey Uppsala - Oslo isn't greater than you can take two vacation days for a round trip. :)

haha, you are right :) I just assumed he was outside of europe(as most forum members are), I'll look closer next time :D

And in that case, I wonder what is in the "5 tons of stuff"? Any other DEC gear?

haha, you are right :) I just assumed he was outside of europe(as most forum members are), I'll look closer next time :D

And in that case, I wonder what is in the "5 tons of stuff"? Any other DEC gear?

It's a lot of everything really: Terminals, mainframes, S-100 stuff, monitors, keyboard, computers , drives.. It's stacked roof-high and it's hard to get at the things that's not near the edges and the top. What I saw with DEC on it was VT100's and other DEC terminals. Oh, and the diskpacks. There's probably more, but I was looking for other things.

I plan to go on a second trip, so I will keep my eyes open. I want a VT100 and I regret not taking one with me..

Back