• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Got a "new" computer today.

tokelokenem

Hello, I just recieved a Premio computer model number PREMIOM TE6C made in 1999. It came with a monitor thats an IBM type 3476 made in 1989. The monitor has a 15 pin connector (2 layers) and the tower has a 27 pin connector and a 15 pin connector (3 layers). Will these work together? They both came with power cords, but no wires to connect them to each other. The monitor is really wierd, It has a key on it and a phone jack in the front...

I'm not sure about the monitor, but from what it sounds like, the monitor is not actually a monitor at all: It's a terminal to something.

As linuxlove pointed out that's not a monitor it's a terminal. http://www.twindata.com/ibm/ibm3476.htm and the 2-row 15-pin connector on the terminal is the external interface port that would connect to some other system (in this case sounds like it'd go to a twin-ax Y cable). Your computer (the tower) the 3-row 15-pin is standard (S)VGA out for about any monitor will be happy on there.

Ironically you might want to offer the terminal up on the marketplace if you don't have a use for it (the terminal) AND see if they or you have the keyboard for it. It may get you something small for an older monitor (actually, you should probably just search craigslist or freecycle in your area for monitors and will eventually find one for free to $15).

You might be able to hack the terminal to use its display on something like an MGA card (I've done it). But if you're hoping to drive this thing with your VGA card...sorry.

At any rate, isn't a 1999 computer considered to be non-vintage?

I didn't know about a 10-year rule, but I thought that Pentiums and later weren't considered vintage. Heck, next year Win2K will qualify under the 10 year "rule" and even P3s qualify now...

I didn't know about a 10-year rule, but I thought that Pentiums and later weren't considered vintage. Heck, next year Win2K will qualify under the 10 year "rule" and even P3s qualify now...
...so my Pentium II would be considered vintage? That makes me feel old... The thing is even running the latest version of Ubuntu!

lol, it's a personal opinion not a rule but yeah, I like to stick to classic rules on a car or a period in time to make a computer vintage. Lots of obsolete stuff out there that isn't vintage, then how many of us feel that something we watched that was new is ever "vintage". Anyway, it's a debate that's been beaten to death, no need to drag it back through the broken glass. We all have our own period of time that we consider collectible and that's what keeps us all collecting different things for others to see and eventually collect as well :)

- John

BTW i gave up on the computer concerning this thread for now. ( it was part of a network of computers and cant work properly without them now.) Ill see how much the terminal is going for on ebay.

BUT!, I did receve 2 compaqs and 2 vga monitors. (idk if they're considered vintage) for free and am now working on these. (im using one right now)

I have another question, I took the Hard Drive out of one, and want to put it in the other, is it as simple as just connecting it as a slave? or do i have to erase it first?

it SHOULD be as simple as setting the other hard drive as slave and connecting it to the same cable the master hard drive is plugged into. That is, if the drive is an IDE type drive.

Ok cool. It is a IDE HD so ill get to that. But now i have another problem. The Dvd-rom drive was working untill yesterday. Now it says E:\ is not accessable the device is not ready. it only reads a starcraft disk... but wont do anything with it. ive updated the driver for it , but it still wont work. any help?

You might be able to hack the terminal to use its display on something like an MGA card (I've done it).

could i use the terminal for personal reasons? like displaying info from my computer? and im wondering what runs the terminal...if i could even connect it to my computer.

Back