• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Thinking of buying an Atari...

Chuck(G) said:
Heck, I've got two laser printers with 68Ks in them.

I always wondered what powered those.

If it's the criterion that Atari isn't around any more (at least the entity making personal computers), well then, neither is Packard Bell.
I never said they counted because Atari didn't make them anymore, I said they could be considered on topic and vintage because we count the 68k Macs as so. And interestingly enough Packard Bell lives on to this very day as an subsidiary of Acer that doesn't operate in North America.

http://packardbell.com/

I never said they counted because Atari didn't make them anymore, I said they could be considered on topic and vintage because we count the 68k Macs as so. And interestingly enough Packard Bell lives on to this very day as an subsidiary of Acer that doesn't operate in North America.

You know, I looked at the web site under "company profile" and the description makes it seem as if the PB of the 80's is the same as that of the 20's-60's. Nothing could be farther from the truth. A couple of Taiwanese guys bought the rights to the name of the out-of-business company in the 80's.

For a real Packard-Bell computer, consider the PB 250. Whack it with your fist and it dropped bits.

But thanks for indulging a curious mind...

The "couple of Taiwanese guys" are called Acer if IIRC, and Acer is what used to be Multitech so some classic connection is there anyway :)

The "couple of Taiwanese guys" are called Acer if IIRC, and Acer is what used to be Multitech so some classic connection is there anyway :)

Actually, it was an Israeli tank driver, Beny Alagem and a bunch of his Israeli friends who bought the name in 1986. Alagem currently owns the Beverly Hilton Hotel (purchased from Merv Griffin).

What they sold was cheap Taiwanese stuff. To quote WikiP:

In 2005 PC World Magazine ranked the Packard Bell computers of 1986–1996 as the worst PCs manufactured of all time. In addition, one out of six Packard Bell PCs sold at retail was returned, a rate double the industry average.

Actually, it was an Israeli tank driver, Beny Alagem and a bunch of his Israeli friends who bought the name in 1986. Alagem currently owns the Beverly Hilton Hotel (purchased from Merv Griffin).

What they sold was cheap Taiwanese stuff. To quote WikiP:

One out of six? Sounds like a current game console that is out now. Hmm...

Had to chime in, back to your regularly scheduled discussions :)

Back