• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

How to cheat on RAM requirements?

Echoes

Experienced Member
I'm having problems installing Illustrator CS4 on computer with only 384 mb RAM.
The installer will quit telling something like "go buy more ram, you fool"... which actually I did on ebay, but I need to install CS4 before the ram arrives, if that's possible.

Is there a way I can trick its requirements?
I guess that it could check the ram size in many ways, but I suspect there is some kind of a standard API function that will tell the installer "look at me, I'm a poor computer with so little RAM"... and I wonder if it's possible to change "so little" in "enough" :mrgreen:

And anyway, it actually works (better to say "it starts") with only 384 mb since I've tried using the "portable" version

You might be able to run the setup.exe or whatever installer executable with /? and find some hidden arguments to install anyway, etc. If it does an actual RAM check I don't see any way to stop that other than running it through a debugger and modifying the jmp or CMP or whatever it does when it finds the amount and decides what to do. Probably a lot more effort than it's worth. Besides that it'll obviously run like crap like a lot of bloatware so that's another consideration, is it worth waiting for the mouse and buttons to realize you're clicking them.

huh, the second consideration is not my problem, so I don't mind ;)

Anyway I didn't write that I've already tried with /? /help /h -? -h and -help ... not working :(

What about looking at the MSI file with Wininstall LE (or similar) to edit the actual value (RAM required)

I am not 100% sure about the spelling on the software, but just google it :)

Speaking of which since it does make a huge difference, is this a self-extracting installer/msi package or a setup and the rest of the files are already extracted?

If it's the extracting type of installer you can usually get an undocumented /e argument to extract the files no matter what and sometimes it'll bypass the pre-installation script.

Thanks for the help, both of those were nice suggestions but the adobe guys don't like to use standard installers or msi packages.

Anyway I'm waiting for more ram from ebay, so in a few days I'll install it without problems.

Thanks once again!

Back