• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

NOTICE: Vintage-Computer.com hosting change!

Erik

Site Administrator
Staff member
Attention users of the Vintage Computer Forum:

We are in the process of relocating these boards and the rest of www.vintage-computer.com (including the Marketplace and the Wiki) to a new web host.

This move is a testament to the popularity of these services. We've simply outgrown our existing provider account!

If all goes well the process should be painless and hardly noticeable. The website(s), scripts and data are already in the process of moving and once I'm confident that everything is running smoothly at the new host I will lock the existing site, migrate the latest databases and transfer the domains.

DNS propagation usually takes somewhere between a few hours and a day. Once that is done we'll be back to normal and everything will be as it was.

I'm hopeful that we can do this well before the weekend. . .

Feel free to reply with advice, suggestions and, once the move is complete, any issues you might see.

Thank you!

Thanks Erik. Perhaps an eye to the future is great, but I have to say that, so far, the forum access has been pretty good. A few times has there been some delay, but this site is generally pretty snappy.

foresight is good. I haven't had _any_ problems with the site. If this move will avoid future problems, that is just great administration :D

Thanks Erik.

FYI: Things are looking good on the new host so I'm going to pull the trigger tomorrow morning, PST. If the boards are locked try back in a bit - DNS propagation will be in progress.

Hopefully everything (site, forums, marketplace, wiki, etc.) are up when I'm done, but if not I'll hammer out bugs as they pop up.

Thanks in advance for your patience and understanding.

As posted above we're back on the new host.

The marketplace and wiki are still pending, but the main site and forums are good to go.

Please keep me posted if you encounter any issues.

Thanks!

<Pokes head out of hole. shakes off a little dust> Looks like it's back up again :) So far so good.

The Wiki is back.

As of right now I expect everything to be working. . . I hope.

If you have any difficulty with any part of the website please let me know.

Note: you may have to clear your browser cache to get some things to work right after the switch.

Cheers, and thanks for the patience and support!

I would like to report that right now (since a few hours ago), It takes on average 15 seconds to load any page within therse forums for me. It didn't use that much time before...

I'm on FIOS, and I too notice that lately(pretty much since this morning) the forums have definately been slow. Some pages take their time loading, but other times it's relatively quick. For instance, the last few threads I've read have taken their sweet time to load. But when I clicked to reply to this one, it was near instant.

--Ryan

Keep me posted.

I haven't noticed it myself but I will pass it along to the host to see if they know what's up.

Thank you. . .

Right now at 9:30 CDT It's been as snappy as it's ever been for me, faster than before. You might try clearing your DNS cache if your on Windows or if you've changed your host file be sure to update those.

It's all working fine into Ohio here at 10:30 pm.
Fast and smooth. No lag at all.

Back