• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

8-bit Short ISA CGA card wanted

Great Hierophant

Veteran Member
I need an 8-bit ISA CGA card with working color composite video output as well as RGB output. Many CGA cards are long, full length boards, but I need a shorter board, no more than 10" in length (it must fit inside a Tandy 1000.) Solid CGA compatibility is a must, but I don't really want MDA/Hercules compatibility.

I can trade an IBM CGA card which I modified by putting pins on the jumper that selects the thin font if anyone likes.

I need an 8-bit ISA CGA card with working color composite video output as well as RGB output. Many CGA cards are long, full length boards, but I need a shorter board, no more than 10" in length (it must fit inside a Tandy 1000.) Solid CGA compatibility is a must, but I don't really want MDA/Hercules compatibility.

I can trade an IBM CGA card which I modified by putting pins on the jumper that selects the thin font if anyone likes.

ATI CGA Wonder would probably be the card for you.

I have considered that, but the ATI Small Wonder has Hercules/Monochrome compatibility which I am seeking to avoid.

Why are you seeking to avid that?

All you need is to jumper it to startup in CGA-mode for output to a CGA/Composite monitor, it'll work just like a CGA card then.

And what tandy 1000 are you aiming to put this in? A lot of the earlier models CGA can't be readily disabled.

Only the Tandy *X models had composite video output. The *L models do not.

But you have to disable the Tandy video to add the CGA card! Tandy video is the machine's greatest strength, and besides, there are some games that only display 16 colors on a Tandy and 4 colors everywhere else (ie. they don't support EGA). Also, some games force 16-color mode when they detect a Tandy and have no option to choose a different mode. Unless you have no RGB monitor, I think it is a really terrible idea to switch Tandy graphics for CGA.

Heck, if you're going to disable Tandy graphics, at least put a VGA card in there for the most options and flexibility. If you want composite output with VGA because you don't have a spare VGA monitor, you can get a $20 scan converter with composite and s-video output.

If you want a composite-output Tandy, PM me -- I can trade one of mine for something. I would rather trade a working composite-output Tandy away than see you run one forced to do CGA :)

Those models are informally known as "TX" models
I've been playing with the 1000/1000A series on and off since they came out. First computer I ever purchased was a brand new 1000A with one floppy and 128K ram.

Never heard them referred to as a TX. Learn something new every day.

I too have spare 1000s with composite out and would trade rather than see one crippled with an off the shelf CGA card.

Actually, I will have an EGA and a VGA card that will also fit inside the machine, so between all of them, I can support anything. I suspect that most of the time the VGA card will be in there.

I knew which Tandys had composite out vs. which did not, I should have said the pre-*L models support it, the post-*L models do not.

Back