• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Buyers beware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amigaz

Experienced Member
Just had a bad buying experience with cudasales on this forum.

Agreed to buy a bunch of old DOS games, paid 67usd (incl shipping) but to my suprise I recieved a bunch of worthless Apple II games.
I opened a paypal dispute to ask what had happened to my games...just got a cold reply to send the games back for a refund.
After this "suspicious" reply I said I would only send them back when I had been refunded for what I had paid + the shipping costs for sending them back which isn't more that fair.
To my suprise I got a cold hearted reply again that he/she doesn't refund return shipments (wtf!!!).
So you can say I got ripped off since paypal safety doesn't cover these sort of problems.

So take extra caution when deaing with this person..

btw. it's the 2nd time I'm decieved when buying items from a person on this forum and probably the last time I make business with anyone here

Amigaz,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience, but I would not call that representative of my experiences with people on this forum, except for one person who turned out to be a problem for several of us. I've been on both the buying and selling side of the transactions.

Thank you for posting about your experience - it will serve as a warning to others. But don't give up. My experience is that the more 'commercial' a person tries to be, the harder it may be to resolve disputes. (Everybody I have worked with has been super relaxed.)

Mike

Amigaz,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience, but I would not call that representative of my experiences with people on this forum, except for one person who turned out to be a problem for several of us. I've been on both the buying and selling side of the transactions.

Thank you for posting about your experience - it will serve as a warning to others. But don't give up. My experience is that the more 'commercial' a person tries to be, the harder it may be to resolve disputes. (Everybody I have worked with has been super relaxed.)

Mike

Yeah...I know there's good people here ;)
Sadly now I don't know who to trust anymore :(

Hopefully I can sell thse crap games for some pennies....I see on Ebay that it's hard to get rid of them so our friend here sure knew what she/he did they were packed and sent to me.
The games I should have got were probably sold someplace else...just hope this didn't happen on other forums that the games were used as a "bait" to scam others

It's unfortunate that you had to air your dirty laundry. I've purchased items from cudasales in the past without a hitch.

]3ob

Jonas,

It's unfortunate that this happened. There are risks in dealing with members on any forum - I've seen this happen on sega-naomi.com, neo-geo.com, and many others.

Good luck in getting this resolved. It's sad, but sometimes you have to out people to get them to understand that bad deals can hurt their overall business. It will make others leery to do business with that individual.

Raymond

It's unfortunate that you had to air your dirty laundry. I've purchased items from cudasales in the past without a hitch.

]3ob

It's not dirty laundry. If a fellow member does something dishonorable after advertising here, then they should expect to be called out for it. You are now another data point for people to judge from.

If the other person wants to contest the story they are welcome to do so. It has happened here before and we get the benefits of both sides of the story.

I would be annoyed if there was a problem member that other people knew about but didn't have the courage to post a warning about. We don't have a feedback system here, so we are more exposed to bad or irresponsible behavior.

]3ob

Our friend cudasales tried to make excuses for that he/she has 100% positive feedback on Ebay...then he/she could have explained what had happened to my ganmes without evading the question and at least agreed to refund me + the shipping costs for sending the goods back..
Maybe this person had a descent past and turned into foul stuff now...

nuff ranting from me now...

Sorry to hear the deal went bad. Since I'm not involved I can say from both sides of the deal there's a risk with the return, if they return your money first then you have money+items and it's the same risk to them. I know the situation sucks either way but it sucks for both parties too.

I haven't had any problems with purchases from him in the past or recently, and I've had really good luck (guess it really is luck) with other deals with folks on the forums. Certainly after a few bad go arounds though I understand your caution.

I would like to think, that given proof (ie, screen caps of the conversation, screencaps of the paypal transaction) that if the seller does NOT come through, they should be barred from here.

If you make an agreement to buy DOS games, and receive APple II games, obviously the seller screwed up, and is responsible for shipping, since the seller made a mistake.

THis is not a case of a buyer changing their mind, or being picky, or whatever.
This is a case where the seller SCREWED UP, and needs to stand up and take care of the issue.

I'd like to think we're hosting an open, honest environment here, and anyone who isn;t on that bandwagon, needs to be GONE.

Oh, and this isn't dirty laundry - this is a warning to others, so they do not also get screwed.

T

The loss of trust is one-way right now.
Amigaz kept HIS part of the bargain, cudasales has not.

cudasales needs to step up.

Amazing cudasales has not chimed in - maybe that's a sign?
cudasales HAS been on today, and well AFTER this thread started, and after 5 responses were already here.

Stuff to think about....

T

The buyer showed good faith in paying up-front for what he THOUGHT he was getting, the seller should show the same good faith in refunding (including the shipping as the items were NOT what they were advertised to be and are useless to the buyer) the money in advance of return.

Unless this is resolved, the seller is, pretty much, toast as good transactions don't get as much press as bad ones do.

This forum, by necessity, is self-policed and a legitimate complaint is a valid warning. I'd hate to see other sellers, including myself, painted with the same brush and have newbies think we are all a bunch of swindlers and such.

I, too, have done business with cudasales in the past and couldn't have been happier. Not that that is indicative of their overall service, just my personal experiences...

Now, playing devils advocate here, please do not take any offense Amigaz - I am not saying that what I am fixing to say is actually the case or that you would do this. This is purely hypothetical...

I can understand a seller not refunding money without the buyer first returning the items. What's to stop a buyer from getting the item he purchased, and then complaining to the seller that the item was not what was ordered or that the item didn't work, or what have you. So the seller, on good faith, refunds the money and tells the buyer to return the merchandise. So now the buyer has the money AND the item. Now, the buyer can do one of three things: He can do the right thing and return the items. That would be great. But he can just as easily do nothing, keeping the money and the items. Or, if he were really devious, he could ship out an empty box. That gives proof that he shipped a package to the seller. Now there is no way that the seller can prove that he didn't get the items back. It would be his word against the buyers and there's nothing he can do about it.

Again, I am not saying that you, or anyone else would actually do something as unethical, illegal and immoral as this, but it goes to make a point. I mean, come on... how many people do you know of, personal or professional, that ae going to refund money for a purchase before the item is returned to them?

Personally, if I were the seller, I might would ask for a photo of the disks you received in error. Then I'd probably chalk that up to a lesson learned, let you keep those disks and ship you out the correct disks free of charge. Of course, that's just me and this whole conversation (on my part, at least) is a moot point anyway.

Good luck... and like others have said, don't be too quick to dismiss everyone here because of a single (or couple) of bad experiences. Most everyone here (from what I have been able to tell) are responsible and ethical.

If the seller didn't act so suspicious as he/she does by constantly avoiding my questions on what happened to the games I paid for.
And the very cold answers I've got makes me not want to return the items without getting a refund first...and when I was told if I return the items I wouldn't get a refund for my expenses for sending the box back..this really made my "cup pour over"
I'm the one who sent the payment in advance so it's not more than fair I get refunded in advance this time since I'm the victim but the seller seems to have no understanding whatsoever

I can show the whole paypal dispute conversations if needed...I have nothing to hide

What bothers me is that paypal can't refund you if you recieve something different than you paid for..so I'm screwed getting my money back thru paypal

Agreed to buy a bunch of old DOS games, paid 67usd (incl shipping) but to my suprise I recieved a bunch of worthless Apple II games.
Out of curiosity, are those originals or pirate copies? Although the Apple II never was big on the Swedish market, I get a feeling on e.g. Tradera, original Apple games would fetch more money than DOS games would. However you wrote you've found out that Apple II games are almost unsellable, perhaps based on eBay US market where there is a flood of them.

I think there is a bit of blame the victim going on here. I realize that some of you have had good experiences with the seller before, so I'm waiting to hear that side of the story. But it is strangely quiet.

This isn't a small mistake. It is batch of items totalling $67. Amigaz paid in advance, taking all of the risk. Expecting the seller to make things right, including refunding the shipping charges, is perfectly fair and reasonable. If it had been me I would have bent over backwards to make it right. Doesn't everybody expect the same?

What bothers me is that paypal can't refund you if you recieve something different than you paid for..so I'm screwed getting my money back thru paypal

I have been involved in ebay/paypal disputes several times. If you got items not as described, you can open a paypal dispute.

You have to send the item back (you pay shipping) and provide proof it was sent. When the item is delivered the return invoice that tracks shipping is all the buyer needs. The buyer lets paypal know the item has been returned (with proof of delivery) and then paypal refunds the money.

Have you tried filing an item not as described dispute yet?

If the items sent were clearly not what was sold, well...maybe the seller should also refund the shipping costs for the return.

I've had nothing BUT good experiences with the people I've traded/bought items from on this forum.

Sad to see that Cudasales has not made ANY comment on this thread, which has just earned him my do-not-deal-with-this-person-under-any-circumstances label. If it had been an honest mistake, he would have replied by now or done something to make the transaction correct long before it reached the open forum.

I've had wrong items sent to me before by honest sellers--most immediately sent the right item (if they still had it) or refunded my money without any additional drama. In all but one case, they told me to keep the wrong item (the one exception was an easy-to-ship item that the seller needed to send to the correct buyer, so I sent it directly to the correct buyer for them), as the mistakes were theirs, not mine, and they didn't want to put me out (I offered to return the items and was told not to by the sellers). That is how serious sellers work--they do NOT drag their customers over a barrel for a mistake THEY made. I'm really glad that most of the people on this forum treat their compatriots/customers like they themselves would like to be treated: with respect. Cudasales seems to have failed that test. . .

Cudasales?

Out of curiosity, are those originals or pirate copies? Although the Apple II never was big on the Swedish market, I get a feeling on e.g. Tradera, original Apple games would fetch more money than DOS games would. However you wrote you've found out that Apple II games are almost unsellable, perhaps based on eBay US market where there is a flood of them.

They are originals but some cheap re-releases which doesn't have the original covers so I'm lucky if I can get 10:- each for the games here in Sweden.

Maybe there's market for them here but I doubt it judging how hard it is to sell anything non Commodore, Atari, Sega etc here in Sweden when it comes to vintage games/hardware

I have been involved in ebay/paypal disputes several times. If you got items not as described, you can open a paypal dispute.

You have to send the item back (you pay shipping) and provide proof it was sent. When the item is delivered the return invoice that tracks shipping is all the buyer needs. The buyer lets paypal know the item has been returned (with proof of delivery) and then paypal refunds the money.

Have you tried filing an item not as described dispute yet?

If the items sent were clearly not what was sold, well...maybe the seller should also refund the shipping costs for the return.

Already done that....but as the seller refuses to refund the payment which is almost 50% of what I paid (I'm located in Sweden) + I had to pay 20 bucks customs fee when I picked up the box :eek:
I'm screwed unless I'm refunded + what it costs to ship back the box

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back