• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Possible Gold mine of old ibm computer stuff... maybe

crowz

This will probably be the wierdest post yet and will definitely be the wierdest one Ive ever made.

Basically I have ALOT of computers and would love as anyone would to convert them to $$. I collect old computers mainly trs80's, ti's, apple, etc thats from the mid 80's or so on back. I use for my daily stuff in programming and such top of the line stuff mainly dual processor or more machines. What lays between these zones to me is stuff that I cant bring myself to get rid of as garbage but is stuff Ill never use and doesnt really fit my collecting interest.

But Ive got a delima and would like some opinions on how to handle it.
I dont feel the stuffs worth much in the money department but also Im an incredibly lazy person by nature:)

Its not hurting anything in storage but it really should have a home. Part of me feels guilty asking for money for the stuff but I think selling it for something is the only likelyhood Ill ever get off my case and get rid of the stuff. Bigest problem is I have no idea what to charge and dont want to rip people off but also I dont want to waste my gas and time moving it around from storage to the house and mailing it and all if its not going to at least bring enough money to be worth fooling with.

Well I think the best thing is to list some of it and maybe I can get some ideas on the best way to sell it as bundles or what and how much to charge and see if its worth fooling with.

200 - IBM compatible 486 dx33 with 300meg hard drives and (32 or 64meg ram), vga graphics, floppy drive fully working machines with windows 95 on them I think. Some had dos only I believe. All had token ring network cards. All tested, all worked. Took 3 days to test those things. Then ended up just storing em.

IBM PS/2 model 90 or 95 server cant remember which, has the digital display on the front of the case thats programable. SCSI drives, tape backup drive 10base T nic.

NCR 486 UNIX server with all the trimmings. SCSI drives, 500meg ram, loaded.

NCR system 3430 tower server, popular with banks even today. I think its a dual processor machine.

50 xt mfm controllers

24 xt rll controllers

114 ibm pc floppy drive controllers

90+ 8 bit printer port cards

20+ 8 bit combo serial and printer port cards

400 floppy drives ranging from ibm pc orginal belt drive models to 2.88 ibm pc drives

50+ 20 meg hard drives mfm

20 or so 40 and 60 meg mfm and rll hard drives

4 boxes of memory chips, heck if i know what all what fits.

2 boxes of expansion memory boards most fully populated ranging from extended to expanded cards. Several are those fancy deskview compatible ones for multitasking.

20+ 8 bit vga cards (rare from what ive seen)

10 or more 16 bit vga cards

1 box full of 8 bit sound cards

14 tandy model 1000 machines ranging from ex's to hx's etc

tandy model 2000 computer

nec notebook computer with red plasma screen

9 compaq lunchbox style computers with red plasma screens

enough keyboards to pave a major highway:)

even noticed one ibm pc jr keyboard and some accessories for it but didnt see an ibm pc jr itself in there anywhere but who knows.

FOUR as400 MONSTER machines. Reason I used caps and said monster is it took a fork lift to unload each of them:)

ok my head hurts thats all i can think of off the top of my head but that isnt near the amount I actually have.

Oh forgot the printers. Pretty much ya name it for an old printer and Ive got a few of them. Laser printers, dot matrix printers, inkjet (OLD inkjet) printers.

Oh and a TON of ps2 model ya name it computers.
I probably have one or more of every ps2 that ibm made.

So Im open to ideas on how to handle this.
Id like to make some money off some of it if possible and whoever buys covers the shipping and none of that inflated shipping either. Each thing would be weighed and Id let the person interested know what the cost would be before they would be committed to it. I can take pictures of the stuff working too. I had buying stuff not knowing if it works.
But I also want to get enough to be worth going thru all that for too.

Thanks for reading this long post and maybe this stuff can find a good home.

I need more stuff like a hole in the head, but here it goes ..

What region are you in?

The things I'd consider worth saving are the older parts. Especially the MFM hard drives. Controller cards generally don't go bad, but hard drives have moving parts.

I'd personally want to rescue some floppy and hard drive controllers for the ancient machines (XT Xebec?) because I know they can run on my PCjr. And of course, anything PCjr related I'd like to know about too.

As for the vast collection of 486 class machines ... that's a tough one. I don't think many 486 class machines are ever going to be collectible - they just have no soul compared to the old timers.

And the AS/400s? Horrible beasts. :) (I used to work on those for a living.)

And the 8 bit VGA cards are worth saving. I'd like to find one or two for my PCs - it gives me an alternative monitor for when the 5151 or 5153s die off. ...

Im in alabama. Rural too:) Closest large town/city is anniston.

2.88 meg IBM PC floppy ED diskette drives

2.88 meg IBM PC floppy ED diskette drives

crowz

How many do you have, and what do you want for them? Are they specifically for the IBM-PC? I got burned buying eight 2.88 meg PS/2 floppy ED diskette drives, and have eight expensive white elephants sitting on a nearby table, wasting space.:(

I would like eight 2.88 meg IBM PC floppy ED diskette drives that will work in my Pentium III machines. Can you give me a quote, including shipping to Vancouver, Canada via UPS Ground? Do you accept PayPal, the convenient way to pay, that includes an audit trail for mutual protection? :)

If you are looking for inexpensive 2.88 meg floppy diskette media, http://www.windsorgrp.com

Please reply by E-mail to yehudi2@shaw.ca

Thank you

Last edited:
Id be interested in 16-bit expanded and or extended memory cards for my IBM 5170, got any?

I am interested in Full Height 360K DSDD floppy drives. It sounds like you might have some.

Please let me know what you have and we can make arrangements by email or PM.

Thanks!

Andrew Lynch

And I'm looking for a Kingston McMaster processor enhancement card to put into my PS/2 model P70 - I imagine a 486/33 or 486/40 card would do the trick. Same deal, you can email me thru here or PM, either way.

Anyway, the 20MB mfm drives, if working, do fairly well on ebay. I see one guy makes up kits - controller, cable, drive. Seems like a great way to do it. All of us XT/AT/Compaq Portable people have to have those 20MB drives.

You must have noticed the "Premium game machine" trend on ebay. Polish em up and put a "Great Game Machine" label on em. Otherwise, I would agree, not much demand for 486/33 plain ol' machine.

I can't imagine someone buying a AS/400. There are those that do. I want to buy the DG Nova that's on ebay right now but it would collapse the floors in my mobile home :rolleyes: My mother's power chair comes in at 275lbs and it was ruining the floor. It's outside on the porch now.

H A L L O O O O o o o o . . . .

Anyone home?

I am starting to think crowz has had second thoughts about his sale.

Bummer. Oh well.

Andrew Lynch

I am starting to think crowz has had second thoughts about his sale.

If you consider that his last post in this thread was over 2 YEARS AGO, you might be right.
In any case, he hasn't logged in here since November 2005.

HTH,
Andy

If you consider that his last post in this thread was over 2 YEARS AGO, you might be right.
In any case, he hasn't logged in here since November 2005.

HTH,
Andy

damnit, foiled again! its the one post newb's fault!

/smacks_forehead

I am beginning to wonder of the sanity of leaving these "for sale" jobs around for years. Seem to be tripping up lots of people of late, including me.

Obviously, other types of posts, where something gets fixed, etc. is a different animal.

I am beginning to wonder of the sanity of leaving these "for sale" jobs around for years. Seem to be tripping up lots of people of late, including me.

Well, in theory the buyer or seller should post that the item is no longer available. Once that happens one of the mods or I will lock the thread.

I like having the history, but I agree that resurrecting old threads isn't helpful.

How can we encourage people to close out these sales?

I apologise. Andy is right, I should have checked the dates more closely.

It looks like I fell into the same trap as several people though. I guess the thought of some decent Tandon TM-100-2A's was just too much excitement!

My suggestion is FOR SALE ads should have a mandatory expiration date field on them. Once the timer goes off, the thread locks automatically. Is that doable with the forum software? I think vintagecomputermarketplace.com has something similar.

It is just a suggestion and not a criticism. Thanks!

Andrew Lynch

Obviously, other types of posts, where something gets fixed, etc. is a different animal.

Makes sense in most cases I guess. But it took 2 years for someone to reply to my original post and it took me another 2 years to notice someone posted it. So after 4 years. Yep I still have all the stuff I listed in the orignal post :)

I apologise. Andy is right, I should have checked the dates more closely.

It looks like I fell into the same trap as several people though. I guess the thought of some decent Tandon TM-100-2A's was just too much excitement!

My suggestion is FOR SALE ads should have a mandatory expiration date field on them. Once the timer goes off, the thread locks automatically. Is that doable with the forum software? I think vintagecomputermarketplace.com has something similar.

It is just a suggestion and not a criticism. Thanks!

Andrew Lynch

Not sure if any of the drives are a tandom tm-100-2a but I guess its a good thing it didnt get locked since I do still have all the stuff.

My Wants as well

My Wants as well

I'd like one of the 2.88 IBM floppy drives,as well.
Do you have any IBM Eduquest stuff?
I'm also working on some Compaq Portables and SLTs.So I could use bits or parts there too.
Lastly one of your PS2 desktops in 386 or 486 would find a home with me too.
cgrape2

IBM 9000 S in there?

IBM 9000 S in there?

I am looking for a 9000 S, by IBM. A scientific PC produced with at the same time as the IBM XT with built-in printer. Unique footprint. Otherwise it's an XT.

Wow.. the irony. lol.. let's not flood all the other 2005 sale posts though ;-) Very cool that you kept it out of the dump at least, crowz :) Some stuff is interesting, though may be better for folks closer to you. ..or who own a forklift?!.. lol.

Another idea is to post some of the items (it doesn't cost anything to list or sell items on this site's marketplace, so no loss or monetary commitment) in the auction site here. Pretty simple and easy to sell some parts in one off fashion. Post a few keyboards, FDC's, etc and see if you get some bites. I bet you'd get some hits.

- John

Last edited:
Back