• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

How to transfer cp/m double density disc to msword

Computer Curious

I have several old cp/m double density discs generated on my no longer in possession kaypro 10. I would like to be able to gain access to the information on these discs. Does anyone know a way I can have these discs transferred to ms word or any other modern word processing format?

Look for a copy of 22Disk. It should still be scattered around the web. You'll need to run DOS or at the very least, Win9x--no NT, 2K, XP or Vista. You'll need a PC equipped with a 5.25" drive. Alternatively, you could try to find an old copy of Media Master for the Kaypro.

I don't know what you used for a word processor, but if it was Wordstar (like many Kaypro users), some older versions of MSWord have a conversion "filter" available. Alternatively, there are some good converters over at http://www.wordstar.org.

Uniform software can do it

Uniform software can do it

Hi !

Many Kaypros came with a software package called Uniform that can go both ways - Kaypro to PC's and vice versa, of that early 1980's era.

I have used it to get my files onto my PC's after the Kaypro era.

Saw many referenence on the web for it, so just search.

Good luck !

Frank

Many Kaypros came with a software package called Uniform that can go both ways - Kaypro to PC's and vice versa, of that early 1980's era.

Media Master was also available for the Kaypro, but the problem is a little more involved. First, you're going to have to get Media Master or Uniform to your Kaypro.

The OP didn't mention if he had installed 5.25" support on his PC or alternatively, 3.5" support on his Kaypro. This used to be fairly trivial, but seemingly not so nowadays.

Since the OP hasn't checked back in since his post almost 2 weeks ago, I assume that he got the job done.

Media Master was also available for the Kaypro, but the problem is a little more involved. First, you're going to have to get Media Master or Uniform to your Kaypro.
---
Umm, I don't want to argue about conversion SW with you of all people, but Uniform runs on a PC, no? Unless there was also a Kaypro version?

What else was there BTW? I know of 22disk, Uniform, PCalien and Convert and hear about Xenocopy on CCtalk; who else was the competition?

Both Media Master and Uniform had Kaypro versions, Mike.

Yes, my point was that if you've got to get media compatibility between a PC and a Kaypro just to get the conversion package onto the Kaypro, why not do the conversion on the PC anyway?

'Twas not always so--one could download a package via modem onto a CP/M system. But modem BBSs hosting Kaypro software are definitely in short supply nowadays.

There were also a couple of format-limited packages for the PC, such as CPMRead.

For the disk-deprived, there's always Xmodem/YAM/DSZ/Kermit, etc. and a serial cable.

Both Media Master and Uniform had Kaypro versions, Mike.

Yes, my point was that if you've got to get media compatibility between a PC and a Kaypro just to get the conversion package onto the Kaypro, why not do the conversion on the PC anyway?

'Twas not always so--one could download a package via modem onto a CP/M system. But modem BBSs hosting Kaypro software are definitely in short supply nowadays.

There were also a couple of format-limited packages for the PC, such as CPMRead.

For the disk-deprived, there's always Xmodem/YAM/DSZ/Kermit, etc. and a serial cable.
-----
I just never learn; of course there was a Kaypro CP/M version (as well as versions for Bondwell, Epson, Morrow, Osborne, etc. etc.); although usually just called Uniform, the later PC version (which I used for years and installed at several client sites) was actually called Uniform-PC. And I'd also forgotten about their UniDOS CP/M emulation hard- and software; they really were competition, weren't they...

Since the OP hasn't checked back in since his post almost 2 weeks ago, I assume that he got the job done.

I agree, who knows?
(If you make a post, you should be checking on it, and updating the progress).

In any case, while the OP no longer has his Kaypro, I do have a copy of Uniform for the Kaypro 10, and I have a working Kaypro 10.
If the OP checks and updates the post, we'll see what he needs.
He can send a PM if he needs something, as I myself, won't be making it my job to keep checking this post.

Back