• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

New stuff

Erik

Site Administrator
Staff member
I found a little free time this weekend to photograph a couple of the newer items in my collection.

First is an Olivetti M18P - basically a portable 8088 PC clone.

I don't know much about it yet, but it boots with an error and I can't figure out how to crack the case! :)

OlivettiM18POpen2.jpg

OlivettiM18Pbootfailure.jpg

More fun, though, is the boxed Apple ][+ I got last month:

Apple2Plusboxopen.jpg

Apple2Plusdrives.jpg

Apple2PlusSystem.jpg

With the exception of a few stuck keys the system is pretty much flawless.

One lesson, though - never store disks in those plastic 3-ring binder folders. Ever.

This system came with a binder full of disks that are now covered with a sticky residue that oozed off the plastic sleeves. Yuck!

It comes off with goo-gone (even from the disk surface) but it's a pain and I won't bother with most of the disks.

Oliveti Portable (M18)

Oliveti Portable (M18)

This one looks pretty much like the Corona/Cordata/Philips PPC. Two versions of this line - 640 x 325 and 640 x 400 pixels graphics.

I believe you should have a copy of the first Byte "Inside the IBM PC" - Nov. 1983? If my memory is still pristine, there is a review of this portable.

I'm puzzled by the INT 18H Boot Error - In the old assembly guides, INT 18H is used to start the ROM-BASIC in IBM PCs......In this case, it could be the hard-drive which refuses to communicate/wake-up?

Error 1701 is a keyboard error.....it happened to me once with my Philips P3101 and I had to change the keyboard to a new one and connect it via a custom made DIN-F to a RJ-45 plug (and using an old 35 mm film container as case).

Error 1701 is a keyboard error.....it happened to me once with my Philips P3101 and I had to change the keyboard to a new one and connect it via a custom made DIN-F to a RJ-45 plug (and using an old 35 mm film container as case).

I thought as much. That could be interesting to beat on when the time comes. . .

Speaking of new stuff, however, this came yesterday:

Vector4.jpg

Vector4Manuals.jpg

Not a disk in the lot, but pretty much everything else I'll need. . .

Another project. . . :)

One lesson, though - never store disks in those plastic 3-ring binder folders. Ever.

Those were plasticized PVC, the plasticizer migrates over the years.
Nowadays, those binders should be rigid PVC or PE, without plasticizers- so it should only be a risk for old folders.

Those were plasticized PVC, the plasticizer migrates over the years.
As the floppy hulls are also PVC, its being attacked easily.

Nowadays, those binders should be rigid PVC or PE, without plasticizers- so it should only be a risk for old folders.

Back