• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Downloading floppies

Marty

Veteran Member
Hi All;
I need some information --
I have an Imsai with a Z-80 CPU, and a floppy controller for 8" disks (the controller seems only to work with this CPU Card) Once or if I can find a Boot Disk, and get CPM 2.2 Running, I can read the other disks that I have as Drive B: ....
What I need is a way to transfer the Binary files from this machine (Imsai) to the Pc, I would need something on the Imsai side and on the PC side, Via a serial cable... and how to run both....
THANK YOU Marty

You need to provide a lot more in the way of specifics, Marty!

Whose disk controller do you have? You said "card"--to the best of my recollection, the original Imsai controller was 2 cards and was pretty finicky.

And you'll need to tell us what serial card you have.

I suspect an xmodem variant can be located or conconcted for your setup.

Next question: Do you need to image the data (i.e., record the physical layout of the disks) or to simply transfer a few files?

floppies

floppies

Hi Chuck;
Sorry, I didn't realize, you needed more information....
The Imsai is an Imsai in front panel and case only...
The boards in it would be the following --
the CPU is a SBC 880 from Computime
the floppy disk controller is a Suntronics for the Computime ( it uses a 1793)
the I/o is a SSM serial card (2 serial 2 parrellel)
memory is 64K Tanner computer memory board
I forgot what else you asked ....
THANK YOU Marty

floppies

floppies

Hi Chuck;
I had to go back and look at your questions...
I would probably need both even though I am not sure... What I want to do is have available bot only the whole immage of the Disk , but also the individual files... these would be saved to a PC then to a CD where I can give coppies to the forum.... I have about 2000 8" floppies some DD and some SD. mostly SD.. to get copied to the PC. And some I would like to transfer to my Altair eventually. ( When I get the Compupro Disk 1 working ).
THANK YOU Marty

The best solution for this that I can think of is to hook the 8" drives to a PC. Since your drives are in their own box wtih their own power supply, it's not too awful a job. Pretty much, there's very little difference as far as the PC's concerned between a 5.25" 1.2MB drive and an 8" drive.

There are programs that can transfer individual files from an 8" CP/'M diskette as well as image the whole shebang.

The trick is finding a PC that can handle single-density (FM) recording. Fortunately, there's a simple little program that will check that out without having to take a PC to pieces.

For more details, see this thread.

floppies

floppies

Hi CHUCK ;
THANK YOU !!!
I am going to send for the D Bit Board, on Monday. And use the program to find a controller that will accept the old style formats.
THANK YOU Marty

And I'd like to know if you have 2000 floppies what is on them!

How about posting an index so that we can all get just a little bit excited.

I would comment (from personal experience) that you should post each diskette in at least 2 forms

a) some sort of IMAGE copy (Dunfield Image Disk would be my recommendation)

b) a single WINRAR .tar or .Zip file of the diskette contents.

(b) allows us to use the applications from the non OS boot disks on a compatible CP/M say system.

Post that index!

8" floppy collection

8" floppy collection

Hi Amouse and all; :cool: :cool:
Here is a partial list in first box--
sig/m 000 -192 (I haven't checked what is missing )
also some cpmug "
box 2
cpmug 000 - 162 "
box 3
Turbodos ver 1.16 and ver 1.3
various programs including wordstar, tarbell cpm, spellstar, Microsoft fortran, cobol, basic, pl (m or I)
box 4
Pascal (mostly ucsd)
(in other boxes I have other types of Pascal including JRT,and others I can't remember)
There are about 7 or 8 other boxes of Floppies

8" floppy

8" floppy

Hi All;
I just sent for the D bit adapter, so once I get it , hopefully I can start my downloading... I have a Future Domain Scsi -- Floppy controller that uses a PC8477 Chip, which I gather from some information I saw somewhere, should get me to where I want......
THANK YOU to ALL Marty

Back