• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

8" Floppy Hard Sector

Marty

Veteran Member
hi all;
Does Anyone know where and how much or IF :eh: :eh: .... I can get a box of about 10 Hard Sector 8" floppies for the Altair disk drive ?????
THANK YOU Marty

Hmm, not long ago, there was someone on the marketplace side selling a box of Wang-branded diskettes. Seems to be gone now, but there's always Athana and eBay (item 300172223701).

Fortunately, 8 inch hard-sectored floppies come in only one type--32 sector and were used by a fair number of word processing equipment, such as Wang and Lanier, so there are some still out there.

Marty,

I have two sealed boxed of ten Memorex 3201-3015 single sided 32 sector hard sectored 8" disks that I would gladly trade straight up for soft sectored single sided 8" disks of equal quality.

I also have an open box of seven of the same disks which can also go. I need disks that I can format to use as DEC RX02s, they must be single sided. (Yes, it matters, the sector hole is in a different place for SS and DS 8" disks, and yes, the RX02 drive needs the sector hole.) (Yes, I can format RX02 disks from unformatted blanks.)

If interested, send me a PM.

Lou

8" floppy hard sector

8" floppy hard sector

Hi Lou;
I will look and see what I have Almost all of my 8" disks are used, and old, and have data on them, I will have to see what I have and get back to you later. Also I don't know the How and what of a PM .....
THANK YOU Marty

Marty,

PM as in "private message". Just click on my name and a drop down will come down where you can select "private message".

The disks aren't going anywhere, so maybe you'll come across some SS disks in your travels. There's some other things I could use also, but they would be for DEC machines.

Lou

Maybe we could work a 3-way swap? I've got some 3M SS/WP (with write protect) unused that I'm not using. Maybe Marty has something that I want....

8" floppy

8" floppy

Hi Lou and Chuck;
Give me an idea of what you are looking for, or what you need ..... :D :D
Maybe if someone has the capability of reading the Soft Sectored floppies and saving them to a PC for burning to a CD.. then that would help I have alot of 8" soft sectored floppies with CPM and that type of stuff on them.... I want to get to where I can read them and save them to a PC before they become unreadable....
THANK YOU Marty

Maybe we could work a 3-way swap? I've got some 3M SS/WP (with write protect) unused that I'm not using. Maybe Marty has something that I want....
--
What could you possibly want? You seem to have at least one of everything ;-)

What's the /WP? Did some disks come without the notch?

I've also got some SS and DD disks somewhere...

@Marty:

You could make a 5 1/4 to 8" cable adapter and depending on your PC's controller, the drives and the disks you might be able to read those 8" SS disks on a PC. Chuck's got a little experience in that area...

--
What could you possibly want? You seem to have at least one of everything ;-)

What's the /WP? Did some disks come without the notch?

I've also got some SS and DD disks somewhere...

Yeah, WP = write protect tabs. Not all 8" had the notch.

Heck, I don't know. Non-vintage stuff is more useful to me than the vintage stuff, strange as it seems. Mostly, I'm in the process of dispersing stuff that I've accumulated, but trying to do so without seeing it go to landfill or made into beer cans.

Yesterday, I noted a large box sitting on top of a cabinet and discovered it to be full of disk samples from between 1990-1994. It took me the entire day to sort, label and file them. Stuff you've never heard of, embroidery machines, CNC controllers, lab equipment, manufacturing test jigs--even disks from a chyron used by CBS Sports...

The nice part was that I discovered some photos of the dogs we had in 1991. I'd almost forgotten what they looked like when they were young. Don't know how they got in with the disk samples.

Marty,

Please don't go crazy erasing disks to find some to swap with me for these. I would be looking for unused disks in trade. If you need something to keep you going, I can send you that opened box I have, there's seven in there.

I'm certainly up for some other kind of trade also. I am always on the lookout for dec stuff. I would love to have an RLV21 or RL8A controller. I also like Teac FD55GFR floppy drives (DEC RX33) and MFM hard disks (like ST-251, DEC RD32).

Lou

Last edited:
floppy trade

floppy trade

Hi Lou;
I have the following that I can find right away, there might be possibly others.
a Quantum model Q540 (it has a sticker on top that says RD52-A)
a MICROPOLS 1325 no other info on it, I have NO Idea if they work, or how many Bad Tracks they have.... I know I tried to use them in my Universe 68 system , and I think they worked in it.... its been awhile ago...
Thank You Marty

Marty,

Well, I'll give them a shot. If you'll send both drives, I'll send all the disks (two unopened boxes of ten plus opened box of seven.) I hope they work, the MFM drives, that is. I have one broken Q540 already. The Micropolis drive is an RD53. I won't be headed to the post office until Monday, so let me know if you come across any drives with less doubtful histories.

Please send me a PM so we can exchange addresses.

Lou

Back