• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Whatever happened to the Coleco Adam?

Chuck(G)

25k Member
I ran across a few samples of Adam diskettes the other day. That's one system that I don't see mentioned here--at one time, it was fairly popular. Anyone know the reason for the lack of interest?

Diskettes? I thought the Adam had the modified cassette tape drives.

It was a poorly built system. I suspect they are not mentioned much because most of them don't work. ;-0

Diskettes? I thought the Adam had the modified cassette tape drives.

It was a poorly built system. I suspect they are not mentioned much because most of them don't work.

I've got a letter inviting me to AdamCon along with a 1.44M 3.5" diskette that someone was peddling kit for. Apparently there were third-party add-ons.

I thought they were a neat idea but I'm not sure how practical they became. Essentially similar to turning your gaming system into a cheap computer just like that kit for Atari 2600 (never saw one but someone here mentioned it).

I'm honestly confused though, I've read conflicting comments on whether it requires a coleco and is just an expansion (what I think is true) vs a system by itself. I rarely see it bundled together and haven't done the proper research. lol even after reading the wikipedia page I'm still confused. Anyway, with the price they quoted of $525-$725 I would imagine that didn't help it's intro to the market.

In answer to the Adam system question: there were two versions released. The first version was an add on to the Colecovision that turned it into a full-blown Adam. A short while later, the Adam was released as a stand-alone system with everything integrated into a single case. I seem to remember that there were some serious stability issues with the kit to convert the Colecovision to an Adam (initial releases), and that the news of this problem dragged sales down for some time. There were always problems with the Wafertape drives, which further damped sales. I read somewhere else that only about 250K Adam machines in all flavors were produced/sold.

It's interesting that TDOS (a "clone" of CP/M) seemed to be preferred to real CP/M when disk drives were installed. Are there any other systems that used TDOS?

250K were sold? If so they should be easier to get then a Timex 2068 which sold a fraction of that.

Maybe I should look for an ADAM (figured they didnt sell so many units), but the floppy drives should be rare.

It would be neat to load all the Colecovision ROM games from a disk drive (saves space too).

I have an extensive Adam collection, including a disk drive. They seem to pop up on eBay all the time, and for good prices. Most of the homebrew interest is in the ColecoVision these days, but there are still pockets of Adam fans out there. It was actually a very competitive 8-bit computer, just built rather poorly and hampered by several curious design decisions. If you want to imagine what the Adam's potential could have been, you only need to look to how the MSX specification evolved over the years, as the specs/foundation are very similar.

Back