• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM Clone ID. Is this PCII Wugo Turbo A Pre-Dell?

RandyL

Please see the attached five images of this Taiwan made IBM clone that was finished in June 1986.

Is this wugo turbo a PCs Limited (pre-Dell corporate name change) product?

What does wugo mean?

What makes a turbo a turbo?

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Randy

Attachments

• a PCII a.jpg
    a PCII a.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 5
  • a PCII b.jpg
    a PCII b.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 5
  • a PCII c.jpg
    a PCII c.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 4
  • a PCII d.jpg
    a PCII d.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 4
  • a PCII e.jpg
    a PCII e.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 5
Looks close to the Dell Wugo motherboard shown at http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/D/DELL-COMPUTER-CORPORATION-8088-Turbo-Wugo.html

My thoughts. The board runs at one of two speeds. One might refer to the slower of the two speeds as 'normal' and the faster speed as 'turbo'. On your board, there is a connector in the corner for a 'turbo' indication LED.

On your board, there is a connector in the corner for a 'turbo' indication LED.
Also, there are two oscillators there: 14.318 MHz, and 24 MHz.
So it's obviously a typical 4.77/8 MHz board.

Not a Dell/PC's Limited as far as I can tell.

Wugo was one of a bunch of Taiwanese firms making XT-style motherboards. The original PCL/Dell Wugo Turbo ran at 4.77MHz/6.3MHz and did not have a clock (although this one isn't an AT-compatible CMOS clock) nor an onboard parallel port (though I don't know what it's supposed to hook to, as it doesn't seem to be complete--perhaps it's a POST output). The EPROM sockets look to be for 27256s.

The chip dates that I can make out are 1988, which would make this very late for an 8088 board. There are some Wugo 286 models, but after that, nothing.

I found only one mention of the Wugo PCII on the web:

The University of Cape Town began to take an interest in CBE in the middle of the 1980's. By that time, two universities had acquired large mainframe systems capable of delivering the PLATO system, but a decision was made not to follow this route. The growing interest in PC-based microcomputing and the networking of such machines eventually led to the University making funds available for the establishment of a network of PC's in the Biochemistry department, which was to act as a testing ground for the viability of instructional computing in this type of environment.

The choice of hardware:

This was initially based on two considerations that were thought to be the most important: namely that it should be possible to store all courseware and records centrally (as opposed to having multiple floppy discs) and that the system should have graphics ability to display chemical formulae at an acceptable quality. Indeed, the project was delayed until the achievement of these goals became feasible within the permitted price range.

The hardware solution finally selected was a network of 8088 based MS-DOS compatible computers (Wugo PCII AD) connected to an 80286 based file server (IBM PC AT) using Gateway G-Net. Each station was equipped with a CGA graphics card an screen, which at the time represented a compromise between the more expensive EGA and the cheaper monochrome Hercules standards. In fact, most of our courseware was initially developped for the 320x200 pixel four colour display mode, this not only meets the criterion of acceptability but has the advantage that it is supported by almost all commercially available software and courseware.

Although computing power was not initially considered an important criterion, experience has shown that applications will inevitably be designed which will fully exploit all machine capabilities. For example, creating displays using vector drawing routines (as opposed to displaying images that have been stored as copies of display memory) is unacceptably slow unless an 8087 coprocessor is used.

The system software chosen for the network was Novell Advanced Netware (SFT level 1). This is an extremely good and widely used product which offers high performance, reliability and flexibility.

Last edited:
PCII Wugo: Is it a Dell?

PCII Wugo: Is it a Dell?

Thank you all for your comments.

Attached are images of the labeling from the PC II. As you can see, inspection for shipment took place on 17 June 1986. I searched the FCC ID # on the FCC's website but the # does not come up as it has been archived due to age.

The next few images show the PC II on top of a (Dell System 200 from 7 March 1989). Please notice the coincidental similarity of the side mounted power switches.

Also notice the image of the power supply which, bears the PC II name thus, the "PC II" name is on the motherboard, power supply and front face label.

In another comment, I will post a few additional images of some of the boards that came w/ the PC II.

Further comments are welcome and I will post new findings as they come to light.

Randy

Attachments

• a PCII label.jpg
    a PCII label.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 3
  • a PCII back.jpg
    a PCII back.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 3
  • a PC II side.jpg
    a PC II side.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 3
  • a PCII front.jpg
    a PCII front.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 3
  • A PCIIg.jpg
    A PCIIg.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 3
PC II Wugo Turbo: Is it a Dell?

PC II Wugo Turbo: Is it a Dell?

Here are images of a couple of the boards that are in the PC II.

Does anyone recognize the logo from the board detail?

I had removed these and some other guts in order to access the motherboard more easily.

Randy

Attachments

• a PCII Board a.jpg
    a PCII Board a.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 1
  • a PCII board A detail.jpg
    a PCII board A detail.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 1
  • a PC II board b.jpg
    a PC II board b.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 1
The Dell web site lists all motherboards they used, but I don't find the Wugo PCII as one of them. Just the Wugo Turbo 8088. Dell used a couple of other motherboards (Golden and ARC) as well for their 8088 boxes.

The PCL Wugo was a funny beast--it simply changed the main system clock frequency to go into turbo mode. So, if you ran Landmark Speed or Norton SI, it always said 4.77MHz, regardless of the setting of the turbo switch. Later turbo boards got smarter and drove the timers from a 4.77MHz source, regardless of the CPU clock.

The MDA card looks familiar, but my guess is that it's one of the many generic cards of the time.

PC II Wugo Turbo: Is It A Dell?

PC II Wugo Turbo: Is It A Dell?

The PC II is a turbo.

Please see the attached five images of this Taiwan made IBM clone that was finished in June 1986.

What does wugo mean?

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Randy

I understand this is a really old post, but I just stumbled upon it and had to reply. I used to work for Wugo in 1986 in various capacities and must have helped assemble hundreds of these systems. The company, Wugo, was a Taiwanese owned company with no ties to Dell or any other US pc manufacturer. The initial 8088 clone ran at 1Mhz and the "turbo" ran at a screaming 1.77Mhz. There was a turbo button on the front of the pc to give the user the option of running in either normal or turbo. A lot of the games written back then were tied to the system clock and would play too fast in turbo mode. The company did produce clones to include some 286 systems. However, they also produced a version of DOS not sanctioned by Microsoft and eventually closed up shop.

Thanks for the pics. Hope this helps.

Back