• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Make your own website

Horris

Banned
How to create a website?
I check top 10 in Google search result and find pretty good website builders.
I like two of them this one and that one
Who had used any of them and which one is the best?
Thanks for your answers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't used many editors and I'm not sure I've used any free ones except notepad and vim heh.

One big thing that depends is what OS and architecture you're running. Googling around for similar info I found this review for "the best free linux html editors" http://www.tuxradar.com/content/group-test-web-editors

The choices will vary based on your experience at html and webpage authoring. One thing I've found in some editors that try to hide the html and just give you graphics are some odd bugs and restrictions just because of them trying to take over the editing. My girlfriend right now is using Yahoo's "Site Builder" and it's what I'm referring to. Has some nice and easy features like auto rollover code but then it broke half of it when she added some new buttons to the navigation bar (annoying, and you can see it just decided not to put the mouseover option for the first few entries). A lot of things would be easier with a book on html, googling for how-to's on the touches you want, and a text editor so you can practice.

I do actually like editors that let you easily preview your page or show you in real-time what your html is doing. That's pretty handy. Besides that it's the good old write your page, see it look great, then open it up in a different browser to check and try to figure out why it doesn't work or looks different ;-)

I'm with you there! I've looked at the raw HTML of the output of things such as Front Page and was appalled by the amount of extraneous garbage that was generated.

Much easier to learn HTML and use it. You'll stand a better chance of working with most browsers, including vintage ones.

The pattern is pretty standard:

- Register
- Make a handful of bogus posts to try to pass the credibility sniff test
- Post link spam.

I don't want anybody to be suspicious all of the time, but if you get a targetted question like this from a user with almost no history, and it's off topic and has specific product names or urls in it, it's always spam. Spend your energy elsewhere.

(Chastisizing a spammer has no impact or effect.)

Mr. Admin,

Over on another forum I moderate we take the IP addresses of new signups and run a quick google search. If it shows up on the lists at stopforumspam.com or other sites like that we just ban it immediately.

It's real simple with Firefox to highlight the IP then right click and choose "Search Google For..." from the menu.

RJ

I'm not much of an admin - I'm just here to strike fear into the hearts of particular users. It's a dirty job, but somebody has to do it.

We've debated pre-emptively banning people before based on criteria like that. But for whatever reason, we don't take the time to search IP addresses. First, it's time consuming. Second, we already make use of anti-spam features in vBulletin, which have cut a lot of the nonsense out. Third, IP addresses get recycled so we are probably penalizing innocent people who are unlucky enough to pick up a banned IP address years later.

The better solution is to resist the urge to be continuously helpful and not reply to potential spam. There is a 'report post' button on the header of each post that can be used to alert moderators to a potentially fishy post. It sends all of us an email. From there we can look at the user history and the post and determine whether a ban is in order or not.

Normally this entire thread would have been gone as soon as I spotted the garbage and people replying to it. But I'd like to give everybody a chance to learn to spot this garbage and to read how to report it correctly.

Mike

I'm not much of an admin - I'm just here to strike fear into the hearts of particular users. It's a dirty job, but somebody has to do it.

But I'd like to give everybody a chance to learn to spot this garbage and to read how to report it correctly.

Mike

And I think you do it very well Mike.

Good idea on the lesson - I didn't know how to spot the stuff before, but I do now.

Back