• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Atari ST hardware items (not mine, Austin, TX)

Most of the prices are kind of high, that ST monitor master would be usefull. Do you know anything about this seller?

He's been a member of atariage for a while and has good marks for himself. Username on atariage is a8maestro if you'd like to check. If he'd come down on the prices I would be tempted to take the Cavalier on a little road trip. I hate to see anything like that go to the recyclers. Or I might pose as a recycler to get them (yeah, right).

That'd be a good idea for some of us-- give us the chance to sort through the really useless stuff and rescue the good.

I could certainly ping him on the keeping things around for information sake and not handing it off the goodwill and I could pick up what doesn't sell if he's interested, although it's usually not the sweet offer one is looking for when trying to get the last few bucks off the items.

Can't tell what everything is or the condition but I'd certainly take it and distribute it to collectors rather than recyclers.

Based on his prices, it seems like an empty threat that he would dump them to the recyclers. Almost all of the items are valuable to ST users, but not at his inflated prices.

I have some IBM PS2 8580s which cost originally around $6000 but because of shipping costs and their age would likely not return me $20. (At this tiime !!)

These people who use the threat of the recyclers while still claiming membership in the collector community make me sick with disgust.

Lawrence

You never know for sure with people and recycling. I pick up scrap metal and junk cars for fun and profit. On more than one occasion I have picked up one for the crusher that I'd seen on CL in the previous weeks for $500+. Weird mentality people have sometimes with the 'If I can't get top dollar then no one is going to get it' type of thinking.

And I totally agree with Micom 2000. I feel guilty sending the P2's and P3's I get to the recycler. I would never consider sending a vintage unit to the scrap heap. If I can't find a home for it locally (and if its too much of a pain to pack and ship) Its going to be living on the shelf out in the shop til something comes along :)

-Lance

Yeah, I haven't talked to him yet but that's exactly my attitude. If you're really gonna scrap it (and I think he won't, and agree with the high prices it doesn't make much sense other than a bluff) then yeah I would save them in the event that he really can't. But I imagine as Oct rolls around and may or maybe 0 sales his attitude will change.

I'd just rather not see them get ruined at Goodwill (and it doesn't make sense to give them away and have them sell them vs give them to a collector who appreciates the hardware).

I'll contact him later but mostly as an offer of please don't throw them away or recycle them if I can find them a home. I'll pitch the marketplace here or chasethechuckwagon also in case he's not aware of those avenues.

These people who use the threat of the recyclers while still claiming membership in the collector community make me sick with disgust.

I'm not willing to jump to that conclusion. Actually, I can't decide what his deal is.

If he were really concerned about saving the items, he'd do a "free for pickup" advertisement.

And if he was serious about selling at top-dollar, he'd bother to take a few pictures and/or list the items on eBay.

So he's not serious about either. Maybe he just likes attention?

Or they are just too trashed to sell on ebay but some collector will take the bait and buy them so they won't get recycled? Some people just want to deal with locals and don't want to properly ship something (and deal with ebay/paypal feedback if they don't).

If it does go to Goodwill, the one here in Austin has a museum and a small section in the store just for vintage computers.

If it does go to Goodwill, the one here in Austin has a museum and a small section in the store just for vintage computers.
I so need to visit Austin. El Paso is a pretty far way away, though.

All the people at the Goodwills here have told me that all of the computer stuff gets sent there for resale, almost none of it stays here. So I *really* want to visit Austin.

I so need to visit Austin. El Paso is a pretty far way away, though.

All the people at the Goodwills here have told me that all of the computer stuff gets sent there for resale, almost none of it stays here. So I *really* want to visit Austin.

I went last week, and they had a couple of TI 99/a and a couple of really old Macs. I think they wanted $10 or $20 for the TI. I forgot what they wanted for the Macs. When I went a month or two ago, I don't think they had anything in the vintage section. I don't know if it goes fast, or if they don't put much stuff out. Since it's only about a 10-15 min drive from work, I may start trying to head down there once a week or so.

Back