• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Cygwin for MS-DOS

I have no idea what cygwin is but i think it comes a version with freedos, possibly MS-DOS 5.0 compatible.

JT

Cygwin is an Unix-like subsystem which most of all lets you compile programs to be run on Microsoft OS'es. I remember there was a version of gcc called djgpp. Perhaps it is a step in the right direction unless Cygwin or MinGW does it. Well, MinGW is by definition meant for 32-bit Windows environments so unless there is a MinGDOS variant it is not suitable.

Cygwin is strictly for win32. However, you can execute win32 programs under MS-DOS (yes, I really did just say that...) using HX DOS extender. I haven't used it much, but the website does list Cygwin as working:

http://www.japheth.de/HX.html

If you're trying to run GNU/Linux stuff under DOS on a 486-class machine, I think you're doing things backwards. You'd probably be better off installing GNU/Linux and running either DOSemu or DOSBox for executing DOS programs.

Good luck, though!

As someone else mentioned DJGPP is also a way to develop 32-bit code to run on MS-DOS systems. I prefer it to Cygwin--it's smaller and much more straightforward.

Let me know if Cygwin works under a DOS extender if you try it - useful information nonetheless.

As someone else mentioned DJGPP is also a way to develop 32-bit code to run on MS-DOS systems. I prefer it to Cygwin--it's smaller and much more straightforward.

This comparison is a bit skewed; you sort of compared one car's engine to another car in its entirety. DJGPP is a DOS port of the GCC compiler; Cygwin has a version of GCC, but it is a Unix subsystem implementation, not a compiler. But DJGPP's GCC definitely produces more straightforward things, as would any DOS binary producer. Windows is a whole other beast after all.

Let me know if Cygwin works under a DOS extender if you try it - useful information nonetheless.

Agreed...

Back