• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

C.L. computer

offensive_Jerk

Veteran Member
This person put a computer on CL for a few days stating that they would take the best offer on Sunday for it.
The day it was posted I emailed with $5. Got an email today that I got it, so must not have been many offers.... :?

Apparently they know nothing about it, and haven't booted it.

Didn't pick it up yet, so I have no idea what it could be.

There are some cards in it, although hard to tell what they are. Maybe a serial/parallel card, looks like a token ring card too?

Here are some low quality CL pix.

Attachments

• cpu1.jpg
    cpu1.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 1
  • cpu2.jpg
    cpu2.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 1
Wow, those are some crap pictures. The computer could be just about anything. :confused:

But I'd give $5 for it anyway since it looks clean, but no way I'd pay for shipping on something so vague.

You think that's vague, here's the description:

This Computer is being sold as is. I dont know any info on this computer. I could not look at the compute boot up because I have a different monitor cord then the one that is on this one. I dont know what is in it or what kind it is. Make me an offer. I will email the person with the highest offer on Sunday

I would gladly pay $5 for to have another TURBO BUTTON!

I noticed that there must be no serial/parallel connectors on the case, suggesting that there are none on the board.

Was that common in and certain processor run, ie 268,386,486?

The curiosity is killing me.

Looks like, from the top down, a dual 9 and 25 pin serial port card, a mono-graphic printer card, the third one COULD be a modem and the bottom one is a 10Base2 network card

I noticed that there must be no serial/parallel connectors on the case, suggesting that there are none on the board.

Was that common in and certain processor run, ie 268,386,486?

On-board equipment generally didn't show up on generic boards (other than absolute basics like floppy / IDE) until the late Pentium era. Not saying it never happened, but most third party boards had nothing or a few things, but never sound, and rarely video. "Low Profile" mainstream machines however often did have at least video, maybe a serial/parallel port.

I've got a case just like that. Generic Taiwanese AT style. 486-P1 era. Mine has an Amptron P1 board in it.
Yeah, my Windows 3.1 machine has a case/mobo like that I love it. Clean lines, good construction...

Looks like it could have an AT-style keyboard adaptor.

Well, I picked up the computer.
I opened it up in my car in the parking lot before work.

Looks like all the good stuff was stripped out. No CPU, RAM, video card, or hard drive.

Can't tell which brand the mobo is, but it's a socket 3.
Looks like American Megatrends bios, and there are some UMC stickers on it.

Will try to get more info when I get back.

Interesting to note that there is one false floppy on the case. It looks like 2, but one is just a case cover piece.

The mobo on that site looks just like mine.......
Oh jeez, the cache isn't even real??? At least it was only $5....
I was hoping it was a quality board.

I did notice the UMC was stickered on the board. I also noticed it said write-thru cache on the "chips."
The board I recieved appears to be this exact one.
That's why I like this site. I would have never known this information without the assitance of you fine folk.

Last edited:
Ha, I think the fake cache chips on the board makes it even more of an interesting find! I think your goal should be to get it back up and running with parts you get for free (excluding shipping) as an amusing exercise.

List the parts you need in Wanted and see what people will send you :)

Yes, the imfamous bait-and-switch boards. I've run across a few of those, both the 486 version and a couple Pentium boards.

The strange thing is, they actually work decently well in my experience, other than the fact that they're mind-numbingly slow.

This is the other junker board I own.

In this picture, is the brown slot for cache? (or supposed to be?) I never knew what it was.
b-pc-m919.jpg

Those slots are supposed to be for cache, yes. I think it might be a fake slot on that board, though... I know it at least won't work with the standard COAST (cache-on-a-stick) modules that most other boards use.

That's an interesting site (Red Hill). Too bad that they apparently never used any Intel motherboards--it would be interesting to read what they thought of them.

I've still got a couple of the Amptron 8600 boards that they mention (a "C" and a "D") with IBM 6x86L CPUs on them. They're not speed demons, but they were very cheap to set up and not too awful. I used them for testing--those ISA slots could come in handy.

Back