• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

eBay - IBM AT prototype

It has been for sale before, and we did some discussion about it then.

It turned out that IBM did ship some AT's to editors of different magazine editors. However, those AT's turns out to be just the same as any other early-model AT. The only thing that differs is when the units were first taken in use. I guess those pre-release AT's have a lower serial number than the regular AT's, but there is no way to tell since this is only the motherboard.

And in addition, the BIOS has been replaced on the unit you have linked to.

That doesn't look like a prototype to me but rather a board that someone had upgraded the BIOS on for some reason.

Also, the 128k DRAMs were simply stacked chips like that and were not too uncommon. Additionally, IBM was known for tacking wires on boards as production fixes rather than going through the expense of making new boards.

It smells like someone's upgraded board more than a prototype.

That doesn't look like a prototype to me but rather a board that someone had upgraded the BIOS on for some reason.

Also, the 128k DRAMs were simply stacked chips like that and were not too uncommon. Additionally, IBM was known for tacking wires on boards as production fixes rather than going through the expense of making new boards.

It is not a prototype, I'll agree on that. However, it IS (or WAS) a motherboard from a pre-released AT. However, it is not just any AT motherboard.

As you say, it has been upgraded, and there is almost no way to spot any differences between this and the first actual released ATs because the chassis with the serial number is gone. The only reason I know this is a motherboard from a pre-released AT is because last time we discussed this exact board, the seller was one of the magazine editors that were given one (see http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?t=13968 ).

Last edited:
I love how he points out the date on the chips as proof. Either someone who truly doesn't know what he has, or a genuine shyster :D

-Lance

Either someone who truly doesn't know what he has, or a genuine shyster

To me it looks like ignorance rather than malice. He doesn't seem to deal much in computer parts, so most likely he's just repeating what some other "expert" told him about it.

...Additionally, IBM was known for tacking wires on boards as production fixes rather than going through the expense of making new boards.

Exactly, known as an "EC" (Engineering Change). I see nothing that would suggest this is a prototype. Especially with silkscreen markings on the motherboard.

To me it looks like ignorance rather than malice. He doesn't seem to deal much in computer parts, so most likely he's just repeating what some other "expert" told him about it.

Indeed. The acution looks exactly the same as the previous auction we discussed in January.

Back