• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Do Not Read This! (Zompire Dracularius!)

mbbrutman

Associate Cat Herder
Staff member
Some of you are probably wondering what the heck is wrong with me. Here is the quick story ...

I have a friend at the U of Minnesota in a class and they are experimenting with search engine optimization. They were given a phrase that did not exist, and now they are trying to game Google into thinking that they deserve the best page rank.

I'm helping out. There might be beer in it for me. ;-0

If you want to help out temporarily, add a link to this Zompire Dracularius site. Any other site helps our competitors. :)

(http://zompiredracularius.edublogs.org/)

Mike

PS: Erik, forgive me. :)

Unless things have changes through the years google counts link hits in its ranking, so take a second and click the link.

Also, you might mention to your friend in the competition at one time google used alt texts from images in its ranking formula.

Been a few years since I was on that side of a search engine tho :D

-Lance

I can't pretend to know how it works, all I ever did was exploit it. I imagine they use the same method that Alexa.com uses to figure out total hits, clickstream (previously visited site) and sites linked in.

-Lance

Yes, if the client has the Alexa plug-in, it possibly can (and will!) track your browsing habits and submit statistics. Whether you find that a privacy threat or not, it is up to you. Those of us who try to stay away from such plug-ins, toolbars and other adware will probably not show up in any statistics nor affect page ranks by clicking a link.

Anyway for a phrase that doesn't exist, I think it is enough that one high ranked site mentions and links to it for that phrase to get top ranking. I find it more of a challenge to make a site with a bogus keyword and not link to it in public. Rather you post the link privately to friends, wait a few weeks and see if Google and the others have picked it up none the less. Sometimes it works that way, which would indicate that toolbars and such send anonymous usage reports to their parent sites.

I didn't dive into the code but new someone (well several someones) that wrote a quick script to fake the hits from multiple senders and almost instantly got their site to the top. Search engine games .. bleh. So what's the purpose here? He's trying to exploit it to do this or just trying to get everyone he knows to search for that phrase and click on it? (Asking to understand how to help).

- John

It's a class project. The goal is to get to the top of the Google ranking. By all means necessary ... ;-)

Back