• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Motherboard w/386 - free

kishy

Veteran Member
TAKEN - thank you for the interest. May have more similar stuff in the future.

Free because of my inability to make it work. I know for a fact it worked when I got it and it just sat for ages. Eventually I found the original, soldered-on CMOS battery had leaked everywhere. I removed the battery and verified it still worked.

It then sat for a very long time and I can't seem to get it to POST now. Stupidly, I haven't tried with a speaker attached, so I don't even know what error it is throwing.

Therefore, it is free. However, there is a catch.

It is currently mounted in a nice low profile case with functional matching power supply. The motherboard is completely standard...it uses an ISA riser card to work in the case but the board has a full set of slots and can be used in a normal case. I want the case to go with it though.

Shipping will be expensive because of the case. This is being junked on Nov 14 if not taken. Mobo will go on its own if NOBODY demonstrates interest in the case/psu. Riser card can go on its own if someone desires it, but I'm not separating these items until say, the week before its death.

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/9554/386incase.jpg

Case will accommodate two 3.5" drives. Will fit half-height drives inside; hole for drive to face outside will not (I think that is called 1/4 or 1/3 height).

PSU connectors: AT motherboard, one Molex (HDD), one Berg (floppy).

Case is about 3" tall. No rubber feet, just smooth metal.

Last edited:
Actually, I find the case more interesting than the board. Can't say I've ever seen one like that. It looks like it also has provisions for taking an LPX-type board (or whatever you call the 386-era equivalent of that form factor), I see knockouts for ports along the bottom edge of the back.

Unfortunately the cost of shipping would be rather prohibitive to me, otherwise I'd snag it in a heartbeat.

Actually, I find the case more interesting than the board. Can't say I've ever seen one like that. It looks like it also has provisions for taking an LPX-type board (or whatever you call the 386-era equivalent of that form factor), I see knockouts for ports along the bottom edge of the back.

Unfortunately the cost of shipping would be rather prohibitive to me, otherwise I'd snag it in a heartbeat.

It's a very nice case for sure. Yeah, those are punch outs for ports you see. Unfortunately it's rather high quality and therefore heavy, so I understand you passing on it.

It has these neat flip-down doors that cover the drive bays. Company it was made by was "MCA Computers" but as you can imagine tracking them down is impossible based on Microchannel being abbreviated as MCA.

Do you have the top for the case?
What 386 is in?

Yes, the case top is in the back of the photo.

The 386 seems to be non-upgradeable as it is soldered on. It is an AMD Am386 SX/SXL-25

There is a socket for what appears to be a PLCC 387 or possibly a replacement CPU; it isn't labeled so I'm not sure.

Boy, that looks like an early ATX era case that could be adapted for either AT or ATX cards. The PSU looks like a TFX form factor one.

Neat case.

I can't see any DIMMs installed, unless they're under that rail; that wouldn't be why it didn't post, would it? :p I'm assume you just removed them and everything else for the shot.

I can't see any DIMMs installed, unless they're under that rail; that wouldn't be why it didn't post, would it? :p I'm assume you just removed them and everything else for the shot.

Correct lol
I had been trying with various combinations of SIMMs I have, including matching sets in varying numbers.

Just a note, the whole unit has probably been taken, just waiting to see shipping cost.

Do you still have it? I am very interrested. What would the shipping be? Thanks.

Barney

Do you still have it? I am very interrested. What would the shipping be? Thanks.

Barney

It's currently in a box with some other items going to a member in California. All that's left is to get the shipping money and it's gone (at which point I modify this thread accordingly).

Just as an FYI though, the shipping from Ontario, Canada to California, USA is about 35 bucks Canadian, including up to $100 insurance and tracking.

This item (all of this item) is now gone.

About that RAM, I've got a reasonable amount, but you may as well post a for sale ad if you're specifically looking to get rid of it.

Back