• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Amstrad PCW 8256

billdeg

Technician
alas....I try to cycle through my machines to power them up once every few years but it appears I have neglected my Amstrad PCW 8256 for too long...now it will not read disks. I get the three beeps "I give up waiting for a disk" error, but my notes from last use included a list of the disks that worked and the disks that did not. None of the disks that worked in perhaps 2002/2003 are engaged by the system. Looks like I need to open up the system and try to physically move the drive arm to wake up the mechanism.
Bill

Most likely, it's the drive belt on the 3" drive on your Joyce--probably one of most common causes of not being able to handle diskettes. It loses its stretch and the spindle doesn't rotate reliably.

You can either replace the belt, or, with a very small amount of rework, adapt the unit for 3.5" 720K diskettes. If you take a 9512 diskette image and tweak the first sector a bit, you can get the Joyce to boot to a full 720K of floppy space. My own 8256 is set up that way and I like it very much.

Chuck,
Thanks for the tip. I have noticed a few places on Ebay selling belts for the Amstrad CPC 6128, is this the same 3" drive belt? Not much specific to the PCW 8256.
Bill

Chuck,
Thanks for the tip. I have noticed a few places on Ebay selling belts for the Amstrad CPC 6128, is this the same 3" drive belt? Not much specific to the PCW 8256.
Bill

Almost certainly. Afaik the same drives were used in the PCW series, CPC664/6128, and the Spectrum +3.

Back