• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Specs for IBM 5150438 XT Power Supply

I'm looking for the Specs for an IBM 5150438 XT Power Supply, in particular the input voltage and frequency.
I'll assume that you know for fact that IBM part number 5150438 is an IBM XT (5160) power supply, because I have no information on 5150438.

There are 110 Vac and 220/240 Vac versions of the XT power supply.

There is a copy of the April 1983 edition of the IBM XT Technical Reference at http://enthusiasts.dyn-o-saur.com/retro/chipdox/IBM5160TechRef.pdf
It will take a while to download.
Specs for the 110 Vac version of the XT power supply are on page 1-22

The March 1986 edition of the XT (5160) Technical Reference includes specs for the 220/240 Vac version of the power supply:
1. The frequency range is identical to the 110 Vac version.
2. Nominal Vac = 220/240
3. Minimum Vac = 180
4. Maximum Vac = 259

I'll assume that you know for fact that IBM part number 5150438 is an IBM XT (5160) power supply, because I have no information on 5150438.

There are 110 Vac and 220/240 Vac versions of the XT power supply.

There is a copy of the April 1983 edition of the IBM XT Technical Reference at http://enthusiasts.dyn-o-saur.com/retro/chipdox/IBM5160TechRef.pdf
It will take a while to download.
Specs for the 110 Vac version of the XT power supply are on page 1-22

The March 1986 edition of the XT (5160) Technical Reference includes specs for the 220/240 Vac version of the power supply:
1. The frequency range is identical to the 110 Vac version.
2. Nominal Vac = 220/240
3. Minimum Vac = 180
4. Maximum Vac = 259

http://www.sothius.com/hypertxt/welcome.html?./additional/ibmpcaddition.html

I got the number from this site. It could be a replacement unit for a pc or xt.

I'm in Ireland so I need a 220/240 V unit. I'm refurbishing an ibm pc 5150 which has a power supply with only a 110 V input.

Also I've come across IBM PC-XT p/n 6323357 but no specs on the input.

There is an 5150439 which comes up on American sites.

Thanks for the link.

Well, it turns out that I do have information on IBM part number 5150438. I got around to opening up my IBM XT and 5150438 is the part number on the power supply. So 5150438 is a 220/240 Vac 130 Watt unit for the IBM XT (5160).

The power supplies supplied in the IBM PC (5150) are 65 Watt. That's not enough power if you want to add a hard drive to your IBM PC. The power supply in the early model 5150s is black, and from my one, I can tell you that the part number for the black 220/240 Vac version is 1130700. Later model 5150s were supplied with silver power supplies. I don't have a 220/240 version of the silver ones and so I can't provide a part number.

Well, it turns out that I do have information on IBM part number 5150438. I got around to opening up my IBM XT and 5150438 is the part number on the power supply. So 5150438 is a 220/240 Vac 130 Watt unit for the IBM XT (5160).

The power supplies supplied in the IBM PC (5150) are 65 Watt. That's not enough power if you want to add a hard drive to your IBM PC. The power supply in the early model 5150s is black, and from my one, I can tell you that the part number for the black 220/240 Vac version is 1130700. Later model 5150s were supplied with silver power supplies. I don't have a 220/240 version of the silver ones and so I can't provide a part number.

OK, thanks for that. Does your monitor power from the other socket in the PSU? Does the monitor take 220/240V? I take it that the second outlet on the PSU is 220/240?

The monitor, 5151, I have needs 120V so even if I get a 220/240V psu, I'm still stuck on the monitor.

OK, thanks for that. Does your monitor power from the other socket in the PSU? Does the monitor take 220/240V? I take it that the second outlet on the PSU is 220/240?

The monitor, 5151, I have needs 120V so even if I get a 220/240V psu, I'm still stuck on the monitor.

WaitAMoment.... Did you got that monitor with the computer with the PSU in subject?
If so, the PSU may very problably be 120v too.

Does anybody know if feeding a 220v/240v PSU with 120v will do any damage? Feeding a 120v PSU with 240v is at least asking for disaster.

WaitAMoment.... Did you got that monitor with the computer with the PSU in subject?
If so, the PSU may very problably be 120v too.

Does anybody know if feeding a 220v/240v PSU with 120v will do any damage? Feeding a 120v PSU with 240v is at least asking for disaster.

I have a 5150 and a 5151 from the Good Ol' US of A, both work on 120V. I'm in Ireland on 220/240V so I'm stuck.

I'm thinking of a stepdown transformer. I've located an XT PSU with a voltage selector switch but I'm sure the second output will be at the input voltage, so I'm still stuck with the monitor.

I have a 5150 and a 5151 from the Good Ol' US of A, both work on 120V. I'm in Ireland on 220/240V so I'm stuck.

I'm thinking of a stepdown transformer. I've located an XT PSU with a voltage selector switch but I'm sure the second output will be at the input voltage, so I'm still stuck with the monitor.

A step-down transformer should work. You may want one of the older, heavy-duty ones, that simply contains a big induction-coil (as they got the best wave-forms). The frequency shouldn't matter unless the device uses it as timing (No PC, XT, AT, or any other recent computer does this. In fact, there is really few products today that does this at all, as recent TV's are designed to support more than just NTSC or PAL).

Last edited:
A step-down transformer should work. You may want one of the older, heavy-duty ones, that simply contains a big induction-coil (as they got the best wave-forms). The frequency shouldn't matter unless the device uses it as timing (No PC, XT, AT, or any other recent computer does this. In fact, there is really few products today that does this at all, as recent TV's are designed to support more than just NTSC or PAL).

The fan in some of the early psu was AC.

But ISTR that the fan was a pretty robust impedance-protected (i.e. capable of withstanding locked-rotor conditions for extended periods) device, so 50Hz shouldn't matter if the voltage is correct.

OK, i'll start looking for step down transformers.

I'm looking at this. Is this the type you mean?

http://www.welectronics.com/TRANSFORMERS/THG-500watts.shtml

Yes, that's a more recent version of the kind I am reffering to.

The transformer I got is 1000W, not 500W (explanation below). The wires in the coil has a diameter of almost a half centimeter, and it has a weigth of several kilos. In addition, it makes this kind of 50Hz Bzzzz sound when used, but that is to be expected because of the electromagnetism vs. loose metallic parts (like the metall handle on top of the metall chassis).

The XT can supply 130W of DC, and on the back it states it's maximum rating of the AC is 4.2 apmere (at 120v), making it ~400W. My system had a replaced PSU, that could supply 200W DC so I didn't know if it used more than 400W, and that's why I went for 1000W instead of only 500W. Try to find out how many Watts your PSU is before making a decission.

Yes, that's a more recent version of the kind I am reffering to.

The transformer I got is 1000W, not 500W (explanation below). The wires in the coil has a diameter of almost a half centimeter, and it has a weigth of several kilos. In addition, it makes this kind of 50Hz Bzzzz sound when used, but that is to be expected because of the electromagnetism vs. loose metallic parts (like the metall handle on top of the metall chassis).

The XT can supply 130W of DC, and on the back it states it's maximum rating of the AC is 4.2 apmere (at 120v), making it ~400W. My system had a replaced PSU, that could supply 200W DC so I didn't know if it used more than 400W, and that's why I went for 1000W instead of only 500W. Try to find out how many Watts your PSU is before making a decission.

Mines actually a PC 5150, 63.5 W at 110 VAC. There's the monitor as well at 230 W, thats about 400 in total.

I found these as well

http://www.voltage-stabilizer.com/sdp/66711/4/pd-47802/483326-23933.html

http://cgi.ebay.ie/VOLTAGE-CONVERTE...al_Components_Supplies_ET?hash=item563767acfd

Well, I bought it when I was there... :lol:

Alternatively, I have fixed dead power supplies by creatively transferring the components from an AT power supply into the PC/XT casing. It works rather well, and once the PSU is back together you can't notice the difference!

I also had a "clone" XT PSU that had the 110/240 slider switch on it to select the voltage. Inside the case, the switch wasn't actually connected to anything :rolleyes:

Well, I bought it when I was there... :lol:
I suppose the clue is in your name :)
Alternatively, I have fixed dead power supplies by creatively transferring the components from an AT power supply into the PC/XT casing. It works rather well, and once the PSU is back together you can't notice the difference!

I also had a "clone" XT PSU that had the 110/240 slider switch on it to select the voltage. Inside the case, the switch wasn't actually connected to anything :rolleyes:

I have an AT supply but I'm still left with powering the monitor which takes 120VAC.

Back