• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Least valuable computer

You could probably give it away to me... :D

(If I thought I'd ever be able to find an Apple //e card for it that is...)

How about a Mattel Aquarius?
4KB ram, Z80 processor, rubber chicklet keyboard, very large non-removable external brick powersupply and NO GRAPHICS mode on a home/games machine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mattel_Aquarius

Acc. to wikipedia there, Mattel actually paid the original designers to take the rights to the machine back! That's gotta be pretty high on the list of least valuable...

I acquired mine at a Salvation Army thift shop probably about 15 years ago for $8...

__
Trevor

The Aquarius is quite uncommon and at least used to be rather collectable. You can find far cheaper home computers than it, even if I have a feeling value and interest has declined in the past 1-2 years.

Actually opposite of what you think, often the inferior computers only produced and sold in a few thousand units are the ones some collectors value the most. Part because they are hard to find, but also because they are so bad that you feel sorry for it and pay good money just to own an ugly duckling of your own.

Actually opposite of what you think, often the inferior computers only produced and sold in a few thousand units are the ones some collectors value the most. Part because they are hard to find, but also because they are so bad that you feel sorry for it and pay good money just to own an ugly duckling of your own.

Yes, that's why I've got one. It was such an inferior product for it's time and sold so badly, it has some historical interest.

Tez

I still get a slight shudder faced with pretty well any Amstrad.
I recently acquired a PCW nnnn for £1 because I felt sorry for it, but I'm probably going to have to take it apart at some point, and lugs are going to snap & screwholes are going to open up, and sometime in the process I'm going to remember why I can't stand Amstrads.
It'll take £3 worth of glue, solder & components, £25 of my time, and still be worth £1 net value to me £-26!

The Timex Sinclair / ZX81 is pretty low on my list. It was useless back then, and it is useless today. That thing made my Vic-20 look like a supercomputer.

The worst has to be those V-tech laptops for kids. I see them in the thrift store and open it up to see if it's something cool. Then I realize it's one of those crappy Leapfrog things.

Back