• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

So, I found one of these "clicky-key" keyboards. Are they really so valuable?

AB Positive

So, I found one of these "clicky-key" keyboards. Are they really so valuable?

First caveat - this is a PS/2 one, not a DIN one - however I might be able to find a DIN one too.

Second, mine's an IBM model - two ps/2 ports for mouse and keyboard as it has a 'nubbin' and two mouse buttons built in.

Third - it's pure black. Not white like every other one I've seen.

Now I don't do much vintage PC, I prefer the Atari/Commodore/Sinclair side of things. But I was curious, since I have it and don't need it, if it had any value whatsoever. $10 would be more than I have now, lol.

Photos please. You're looking at a keyboard that in ideal condition will fetch 50 bucks on eBay, ESPECIALLY with a TrackPoint. I'm quite...no, RIDICULOUSLY interested in it from you at your suggested price of $10...

The Quick Brown Fox Jumps Over the Lazy Dog.

I do believe it works. I'm writing this post using it for both the keyboard and mouse. I shall attach images as well so you can see it. I can at the same time see why someone would want this and why they wouldn't.

1) Very well built strong keyboard, trackpoint works great, this is a solid piece of kit.

2) THIS NOISE IS DRIVING MY CRAZY~! AUUUUUUUUUUUUGH!

I'm learning C++ and I don't believe I could code with this. I'd end up bashing myself over the head with it. I type verrrry fast. I'm using multiple letter words in a way to keep the clicking to a minimum.

Time to reboot and go back to my old new ways. :D

Attachments

• DSC03174.jpg
    DSC03174.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC03175.jpg
    DSC03175.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 2
The Quick Brown Fox Jumps Over the Lazy Dog.

I do believe it works. I'm writing this post using it for both the keyboard and mouse. I shall attach images as well so you can see it. I can at the same time see why someone would want this and why they wouldn't.

1) Very well built strong keyboard, trackpoint works great, this is a solid piece of kit.

2) THIS NOISE IS DRIVING MY CRAZY~! AUUUUUUUUUUUUGH!

I'm learning C++ and I don't believe I could code with this. I'd end up bashing myself over the head with it. I type verrrry fast. I'm using multiple letter words in a way to keep the clicking to a minimum.

Time to reboot and go back to my old new ways. :D

The noise is half of the appeal - I love noisy keyboards, they prevent people interrupting me while typing lol

I want this keyboard, as I've stated previously and as you know. Just solidifying the point for the assorted keyboard hoarders out there who are waiting for me to show a sign of weakness before they attack.

I am actively seeking an IBM keyboard in the Model M series (the clicky ones with the ordinary keyboard layout) with the trackpoint. I will top $10 for it, but not this week, if you wait. ;)

The early descriptions of keyboard hoarders sounds eerily similar to the Neo-Geo collector mentality. I thankfully hit a support group program for that and shook the disease, but not before I ended up paying $450 for a single video game. :D

I have ~3 shelves of keyboards... in fact, I think I'll take a picture.
p1010450s.jpg

As you can see, two shelves are, and the side of each shelf is lined with keyboards.
p1010451.jpg

This is my IBM PC AT keyboard, currently hooked up to a 386 w/ my FM radio card playing music for me on the floor.
p1010452.jpg

This is my IBM Model M Compact (1984) keyboard, at my main workstation. *needs to clean his desk* I love this one because it's small but retains that nice clicky feel. I got this with my PS/2 Model 25, but I'll never part with this, while I might sell the PS/2 at some point (I suck at working on PS/2s - they always end up sitting around)..

As you can see, I kinda like keyboards. :p

Last edited:
I have ~3 shelves of keyboards... in fact, I think I'll take a picture.

Please do. I have a keyboard obsession. (...the first step is admitting you have a problem ;))

Edit: Oh yeah, you have a problem. There's no doubt about that. :D

Nice 1984 AT keyboard. Can I have it? (actually, I'm typing this using one)

That Model M Compact can't be 1984. It looks more like post-1990. (diagonal IBM logo)

Last edited:
So that's why you love wedge Amigas - it's the whole computer built into the keyboard. :D

(yay, someone I know from UAE is on here, heh)

This is my IBM PC AT keyboard, currently hooked up to a 386 w/ my FM radio card playing music for me on the floor.

Now that's one of the super desirable ones. I've seen quite a few of those things top $100 on eBay.

The Model M boards, OTOH, aren't generally all that valuable, but they are nice boards to use if you don't mind the noise. The other common one in that category is the Dell AT101, which uses ALPS switches rather than buckling springs. It's considerably quieter, but it's still clicky and has a typing feel on par with the Model M (IMO, at least).

I spent $40 on the AT keyboard from someone on here - good deal, as I priced them out beforehand and was happy to get one at all much less for <$100.

Let me get a picture of my old HP board, it's one of my favorites..

p1010453b.jpg

It's unique because it's keys have dark red (reminds me of the Famicom) text color, and the keys are curved, with F and J moreso so you can find homerow instead of the little raised lines like most keyboards..

p1010454h.jpg

It has these nice lines toward the top like the C128/C64C gear, too..

p1010455o.jpg

If there's more interest I'll show you my IBM Model F XT keyboard, an off-brand XT keyboard, my Zenith boards, and a keyboard/trackball combo keyboard (serial+AT) which unfortunately had bad keys and then when I tried to fix them just ended up making it useless.. makes me sad whenever I think about it.. :(

This keyboard ( the HP ) is a military keyboard, lol.. it has a packet of papers authorizing it to be released attached to the bottom, lol..

Last edited:
Now that's one of the super desirable ones. I've seen quite a few of those things top $100 on eBay.

The Model M boards, OTOH, aren't generally all that valuable, but they are nice boards to use if you don't mind the noise. The other common one in that category is the Dell AT101, which uses ALPS switches rather than buckling springs. It's considerably quieter, but it's still clicky and has a typing feel on par with the Model M (IMO, at least).

You mean the "QuietKey" models? I don't like those one bit, and I am a keyboard nut - to each his own though, I guess. They certainly feel better than normal keyboards, but if it doesn't sound like popcorn popping as I type, I'm not happy. I even game on the Compact Model M I showed.

So that's why you love wedge Amigas - it's the whole computer built into the keyboard. :D

Yep, that's right. I've always loved the "computer in a keyboard" design. I also keep a few 800XLs and TI-99s around the house in various rooms, just so I can look at them and go "Ahhh.....".

Yes, one went for $100 a couple days ago. I was going to bid on it. Mine cost me $40. I think all my comments on various forums about how great it is is driving up prices. Damn. I should have kept my mouth shut. (...actually... my keyboard.. shut)

You mean the "QuietKey" models?

No, the QuietKey ones have standard cheapy rubber dome switches... and yes, they suck as much as any other cheapy keyboard. I'm talking about these things. They're from the same era as the QuietKey ('98-2000) , but are a completely different beast.

Ah, yeah I read that Dell rebranded some Model Ms, or did something based on the design - that must be it. They look alright - I'd be happy to add one of those to my shelf sometime..

Speaking of which maybe I'll box up the 10+ Mac keyboards that I can't do anything with up there. That'll free some space.

Yep, that's right. I've always loved the "computer in a keyboard" design. I also keep a few 800XLs and TI-99s around the house in various rooms, just so I can look at them and go "Ahhh.....".

Oh god, is that why I like those? It's 'cuz I love keyboards? :/

I have two Apple 2e's (different versions), a C64, C64C (everything up to this point on display), 800XL, Timex Sinclair (broken)....

I've been wanting to make a modern one for years, build a brand new PC into a case combined with a keyboard.

Personally I think the Apple 2e case is the best - it provides easy tool-less access to expansion slots and mobo, has a keyboard built-in, and a place to sit the monitor without needing additional deskspace - flawless.

Personally I think the Apple 2e case is the best - it provides easy tool-less access to expansion slots and mobo, has a keyboard built-in, and a place to sit the monitor without needing additional deskspace - flawless.

Well, if you have a monitor on it, it's not really easy access. You have to pick up the heavy monitor with dangling cables, find somewhere to put it, then open the case. ;)

But I know what you mean. It is nice not to have to remove 15 screws, plus the RF shield, like in most other computers. It's pretty bland looking though - boring beige and sick light-brown keys. You'd have to puke on it just to give it some colour.

Well, if you have a monitor on it, it's not really easy access. You have to pick up the heavy monitor with dangling cables, find somewhere to put it, then open the case. ;)

But I know what you mean. It is nice not to have to remove 15 screws, plus the RF shield, like in most other computers. It's pretty bland looking though - boring beige and sick light-brown keys. You'd have to puke on it just to give it some colour.

I'm a big fan of beige.. I actually have my shiny new Core 2 Duo w/ 4870 2GB in a "boring" beige case. :p

Back