• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Battery Pack Construction

cgrape2

Experienced Member
After reading the old posts about rebuilding battery packs(and my first semi-successful try at one)I'd like to try to rebuild the battery in my Xybernaut Atigo T.It's got a battery pack that when opened up reveals 4 cells made by Samsung with the following code ICP503465B.I googled it,but....Nothing.I'm stuck.This is a very thin Battery Pack with a marked voltage of 7.2V.It's 5mm thick,70mm Tall and 145mm long.What can I do?
I am hoping the assembled minds around here will point me in the correct direction.I'm stuck.
cgrape2

I'd try the local Batteries Plus store. If they have similar cells they can also assemble them with their spot welder machine.

My local store doesn't charge for putting the batteries together.

Hey,good tip!That would be nice if one was close to me.I think the sticking point is the size of the cells.It's odd that I can't seem to find any.
cgrape2

Argg

Argg

I really need some help here.The only Cell I could find is done by a Company in China and they are somewhat English challenged(My Chinese is not good).That and they won't sell in less than Qtys of 100.
cgrape2

I googled it, but....Nothing.

Try searching it without the 'B' on the end, you'll get a lot more results, including a few US dealers.

Or... I dunno how much extra space you have to play with inside that battery pack, but if there's room to cram in cells that are about 4mm wider, then this may be an option.

I never did try without the B.Damn,I should hsve known to try that.Thanks for the link.I'm going to measure right now!
cgrape2

Nope,too thick.It's a tight fit with just about 1mm of lateral play and 0mm of upward play.It's a very tight fit.
If I can't find a replacement cell,what else can I do?
cgrape2

Well, there are a couple other cells with similar sizes, but lower capacity... like the 503048/053048. Those are usually around 600-700mah, versus the 1000mah, but it'd be better than nothing, and they seem to be a little bit easier to find.

There's also the possibility you might be able to shoehorn enough of the gumstick batteries in there... y'know, like the ones used in old Minidisc players and such. Of course you'd have to wire them differently since they're 1.2V cells rather than 3.6V, but it might be doable.

Nope,too thick.It's a tight fit with just about 1mm of lateral play and 0mm of upward play.It's a very tight fit. If I can't find a replacement cell,what else can I do?

Do you think if the outer case was removed from that camcorder battery that it might fit? You could just bundle the naked cells up with some tape.

Now that's a good idea.I don't care about how it looks,just that it Does work.I'll run one down and see.
Also,the lead on the smaller amp hour cells is a good idea too.Anything will be better than what I have now.
Time to do some more net searches!
Thanks for the leads!
cgrape2

Here's another possiblity. I figure that your battery was built from stock Samsung videocam/camcorder batteries.

If you search for "5mm Samsung battery size" you'll turn up some other possibilities, but how about this? You can get them in 2-packs cheaper yet.

This Looks Right!

This Looks Right!

OMG!!!That looks pretty close!I just ordered 2 to try.
Wow,what a struggle.Thanks for the lead!
I'll post when they arrive and I attempt to remake my battery pack.I'm sure to have some questions then.
cgrape2

I'm still waiting for the battery cells to arrive.I reviewed some of the older posts about battery pack rebuilding and I am unsure about the process.It seems straight forward.But I'm sure to have questions.The Cells I ordered have pads,not leads.I understand how to solder to a pad.I'm just being apprehensive.(It's a cognitive thing for me,sometimes it takes awhile for stuff to make sense)
cgrape2

I am impressed with your mastery of sources.It looks good,I can think of several ways to use this.
THANKS!
cgrape2

Still waiting for the Cells to arrive.Does anyone have any pointers on Battery Pack Rebuilding they would like to share?
Thanks!
cgrape2

Back