• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Found a load of 520C's for cheap!

NathanAllan

Veteran Member
There are no accessories to them, or they're sold seperately, but they have about 10 520C laptops from a school and they're all $18 each! Also 190 models for $10 each. I think I'm going to get one maybe two, and see if I can match up a power supply for it. My 520C is broken, garbage on the screen, and I have the power supply from it that seems to work fine.

They have quite a few laser disk players, if anyone wants me to ask about them I will. This little place is really tucked away and hard to find, and they are PACKED with all kinds of stuff. Not only computer stuff, mostly not, but a fair amount of electronic and TV related items.

I'll take requests for when they're open next, see if there's anything anyone needs.

Are any of the laserdisc players of the kind where you can hook them up to a computer (say a IIgs) via a serial cable?
I might go for a 520c if there is at least one good battery or somethign else special in it like the PCMCIA module or PowerPC upgrade.

When I go back in the next couple of days I'll document what is there. Their hours are very odd, I have to call ahead. Works for me, though.

Next day open is tomorrow, but weather permitting might be going on Thursday.

Hey Nathan, As with Next I might be interested in a laserdisc player if you think they work and if it has the remote or a serial connection that'd be a huge plus (I have some software for the Amiga on laserdisc that can utilize that). I'm not sure how hard they are to use without a remote but it's rare that I find one with one ever :-(

Haven't been able to get back to that store just yet, but they set up at the swap today, and while they didn't bring everything they did bring this really neat AlphaSmart 2000 school computer. Much like a Tandy 100, in that it has auto save (doesn't lose anything you type on it) and there's a cable that I can make that turns it into a USB keyboard, basically. Lots of room in the thin case, so I'm thinking some kind of mod for it.

Though that's up in the air, since I see these things oddly enough going for much dinero. I can buy a used one for merely $85 with no accessories. Not sure why they go for so much, but they seem to. I paid five for it, and it even came with a charger and manual, so not too shabby!

The store is due to be open on Wednesday, so I'll have a chance to go there and take a few pictures and see what the LD's come with.

/edit Oh, and they're easy to use without the remote, barythrin, all the controls are on the front, seems liek they left nothing out.

Back