• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Palm V - of any use?

Might be a nice kitchen appliance to hang on the wall. Put recipes on it, use it for a clock, maybe there's a timer app you could get for it. Also, if you can get a wireless SD card for it (they do exist), you could possibly get web radio, the weather, or network to a drive with MP3s on it (if yours has built-in MP3 capability).

I still don't have it right here, but does the V have CD card capability?? That would let it use those wireless cards. The m505 I have here does, and that's a great idea, since now some of them are old and cheaper.

I wish I could get a wireless card for my Compaq C120, it has a full keyboard and that thing really is awesome for things. It even has a pcmcia card slot but only a handful of cards work with it. Mainly I keep a memory card in it, do the sneakernet thing.

What would really be great is if I could find something for the Visor Prism, that thing is great (even with no keyboard). I'd love to carry that thing around. I have a camera case it fits into perfectly, even has a belt clip.

This thread has me thinking that I should get the SDK for the older Palms and use mine as a serial 'status' device for my old machines. Possible uses:

• A realtime graphical load meter
  • A very bare-bones serial console
  • A status indicator for whatever you choose to send to it

Mike

This thread has me thinking that I should get the SDK for the older Palms and use mine as a serial 'status' device for my old machines. Possible uses:

• A realtime graphical load meter
  • A very bare-bones serial console
  • A status indicator for whatever you choose to send to it

Mike
That's what I'm talking about! Have port will travel. The things might end up being dedicated devices, but that's okay-- they're all obsolete (in the PDA world) and of zero use.

A neat project might be t omount it on a fridge door, have it get all kinds of readouts from it-- temperature, humidity, fan speed, compressor RPMs, line pressure, light on/off, all kinds of neat things.

There's still for sale a book, cable and program for reading cars' readouts from the port under that's dashboard.

Very usable devices with some creativity and necessity (car readers are about $160 at Auto Zone last I checked, this something like this would be a LOT cheaper).

I'm going to be loaning my Visor Prism with OS 3.5.2H1.2 to that friend of mine so he can see if he can do anything with it. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a springboard designed for it. I'd love to use SD cards with it, or maybe some kind of Atari emulator (I can dream).

But the Palm V uses a lot of the same programs, so they'll be portable from device to device, and they'll most likely be pretty basic (if it ends up being software).

Who knows, we may be able to use the USB port on it (non-standard) to use typical USB devices.

Just checked, it's on the Visor and it's called Kyle's Quest. I'll look around and see if I can find the freeware version, but I really don't mind paying, it's pretty fun.

The graphics are pretty nice to be what it is. iirc the V was b&w (not sure, not here in front of me) but it could also do grey shades, so I remember playing Bomb Canada (A South Park inspired game) and it had pretty decent graphics.

A friend of mine knows MUCH more about programming than I do, and is more familiar with how Palms can be programmed so I might get him to do something neat for it. What I would love to see is Sega blast processing programmed in (LOL).

Solskia's graphics were very reminiscent of Diablo for the PC, and had a color and a greyscale resource file to choose from. Only thing is, you had such nice visuals, but with pc speaker-like sound.

Last edited:
My friend that is helping me on this is very interested now, is making the Visor and m505 I have do very cool things.

Okay, there is USB coming from both of them, and I found USB-audio devices all over ePay; they're being marketed as USB audio cards, and I can see why they're so cheap as most computers with USB 2 already have audio. I'll be working on how to make the USB on the bottom of my two humble PDAs work with it if it's at all possible.

We've already gotten some cool things done, I think I'll start a wiki on it, or at least a small blog on myspace. They're turnign out to be great for old school gaming! Now, sound.

.......The things might end up being dedicated devices, but that's okay-- they're all obsolete (in the PDA world) and of zero use.

There's still for sale a book, cable and program for reading cars' readouts from the port under that's dashboard.
...... (car readers are about $160 at Auto Zone last I checked, this something like this would be a LOT cheaper).

Wow, my PalmOne Zire31 PDA is now sitting dormant since I migrated all my Palm data to a new Palm-Centro smartphone.

I would LOVE to adapt it to a car-computer readout unit, but I would need to know where to find the hack and parts or cables needed for this project. This is one great way to keep this kind of device alive and useful. My car repair bills might be lowered as a bonus!?;)
I'm handy but I'm not an EE. Can anyone help me with info on this?:confused:

Wow, my PalmOne Zire31 PDA is now sitting dormant since I migrated all my Palm data to a new Palm-Centro smartphone.

I would LOVE to adapt it to a car-computer readout unit, but I would need to know where to find the hack and parts or cables needed for this project. This is one great way to keep this kind of device alive and useful. My car repair bills might be lowered as a bonus!?;)
I'm handy but I'm not an EE. Can anyone help me with info on this?:confused:

Found this at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Auterra-300-Dyno-Scan-Palm-CAN/dp/B0011W6VFE

and there are lots of different ones, that' just an example.

The person that's been working with the V here has successfully been able to run Gameboy games on an overclocked Prism, but has been having health problems, so there hasn't been much further anything. He's lucky to make it to work in a day much less do some homebrew dev'ing. Ah well, maybe soon.

Hope that helps, johnorun.

Nathan

I would LOVE to adapt it to a car-computer readout unit, but I would need to know where to find the hack and parts or cables needed for this project.
Search for"OBD Palm".
You should probably also search for "right to repair".

Just got a Palm VIIx a few days ago, and finally out batteries in it. Pretty neat, it has a form of wifi on it that seems to be linked to some specific service that I am out of coverage for. Not that I intend to subscribe to a paid-for service so I can look at a fraction of the net in black and white, but I was thinking of simulating my own service to see if I can get a small local coverage for it. I'm wondering if it's a celphone type thing.

It came with a serial port (CE-9) cradle but haven't hooked it up yet. I'll have to hook it up to load the system information application to know what version of Palm OS it has, but it looks just like the other ones, maybe 3.x. A while back I bought a book on how to program for the Palm OS, I might be abel to do something with local wireless, maybe. I think this PDA is a bit newer than the book I have.

Still, pretty cool little handheld, and it was only five bucks so I couldn't resist.

Nathan

Back