• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

1980's Office IT War Stories...

cruisefx

I love reading old computer magazines that I can get my hands on, mostly through e-Bay. In them, I have read office IT war stories from the 1980's, such as the head of IT in charge of repairing corrupt Lotus 1-2-3 files, or the guy who resold commercial print drivers by reverse engineering and re-branding them.

The different varieties of IT-related tasks that needed attention back then that required "geek-level knowledge" impresses me. And the 1980's generally seemed to be a more cordial period in time.

I am filled with so much romance considering the IT environment of the 1980's.

Also, how much easier was it to land positions in IT back in the 1980's if you had a proclivity towards technology?

In addition, I saw this Mac versus PC commercial from about 1991 that featured a sophisticated, attractive woman in a business audience shouting out "Check your CONFIG.SYS!" Of course, being associated with such a tech-savvy woman back in the day would have made mine. Stuff like this makes my imagination go wild.

Can anyone elaborate on their experiences or knowledge of such things, especially if you have experienced it yourself?

I was a child of the 1980's, so I really didn't have a good working knowledge of life at this point in time.

--

Last edited:
If you haven't checked it out yet, head over to:

http://www.textfiles.com

There's quite a bit of history stored there. Jason Scott did a documentary on the evolution of the BBS and BBS culture. I met him at the Last HOPE. The textfile archives are really impressive.

Not sure if this story fits into your "1980's IT War stories" theme but here goes... In 1984 I was a newly appointed 2nd shift manager at IBM in San Jose, CA. We had 1 IBM PC that was shared between the managers for 1st, 2nd and 3rd shift. The 1st shift manager used the PC quite a bit, I had no use for it. Anyway, he wanted to use a new program he had acquired called Lotus 1-2-3. The problem was that our PC had only 128K of RAM and Lotus required 256K. He said he was going to order the memory then call the CE (Customer Engineer) to install it. As I mentioned, I was a new manager and prior to being promoted had been a technician at IBM. I went to the "Candy Store" which was the place where techs went within the company to get parts and got 9 16K RAM chips and brought them to the office then told the 1st shift manager that I would install them in the PC. He was very adamant that I not touch it since it was an expensive piece of equipment and insisted that he would call the CE to come install the memory. I reminded him that I had far more years of experience as a tech than as a manager but that didn't persuade him. I simply waited for him to leave for the day and then broke out a screwdriver and went to work. I had never touched a PC before that night but I was able to remove the case, install the 16 chips and figure out how to set the switches so that the RAM was recognized by the system. When the 1st shift manager came in the next morning he found the computer waiting for him with a whopping 256K of RAM. He was happy that he could now start using Lotus but wasn't too happy with me that I had been so reckless with the expensive piece of equipment!

Yeah, this is a good one. I think there was a larger proportion of people out there who had the "don't touch it, you'll break it" mentality about technology. I remember being an 8 year old and having taped a Filmation Ghostbusters episode. When I wanted to play it at a friends' birthday party who had a VCR, his mother didn't like me even pressing play or rewinding it, thinking that I would break it. I don't think a child these days would get the same treatment for bringing over a DVD and wanting to play it.

Two stories that were significant enough for me to remember them.

I'm in a Government department in the mid 80's. The head of the computer section (which by the way, was categorised as a sub section of electronics) directs me, as the senior person in the PC area, to urgently (priority 'yesterday') attend the Assistant Director's office. I meet with a senior employee who is visibly on edge. He informs me that he's been working on a very important WordPerfect document for the past weeks, that it's stored on a floppy and now he can't open the document any more. He's got a backup but it's on the same floppy and he can't open that either. He's tried the floppy in a different computer and gets the same symptoms. The Government department is important enough that it reports annually to Parliament, and the document turns out to be the annual report, due to be presented in a few days time. Talk about Murphy's Law.
It is impressed on me very strongly how important it is for the computer section to recover the document, pronto. The data is 'sensitive' enough that the recovery must be done in-house. I'm pretty sure that I would have then been visibly on edge. To help us, I'm given a very old printout of the document (which luckily hadn't made it to the industrial shredder).
I remember that I thought the floppy had been placed next to a large magnetic source, so I guess the floppy must have had a large number of just-readable and unreadable sectors. Anyhow, we ended up recovering most of the document.

It would have been a reminder to me that even though we in the computer section knew that floppies were relatively unreliable, that the general user has what appears to be an undying faith in technology.

Second story. I go to investigate a PC with a problem. It's a PC with two removable Syquest drives. Those things were more unreliable than floppies. I can't remember the reason why, but I decided to low-level format D: drive. I'm told there's nothing on D: that's important enough to worry about. Part way through the low-level format, it hits me that I've stuffed up because the light on C: is on, not on D: Embarrassment plus, because it turned out that C: had never been backed up to tape. My boss was not impressed. Someone else did the data recovery (of what could be recovered), which probably took days.

I love reading stories about phreaking. It was a completely different culture for computers back in the 1980s when there was no internet, just over-seas BBSes to drule over. What does a kid do when he has no money and no permission from his parents to run up the phone bill and get the latest cracked games? He's gotta do it illegally. One story was posted on WFMU's blog:

http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2005/07/my_commodore_64.html

Back in the early '80s, computers were fairly mysterious to the uninitiated. The movie Wargames compounded this quite a bit. The kids in my school knew I was in to computers. When one of them asked if I ever hacked in to NORAD, I said, "Sure. Everyone does."

Yeah, they believed it.

One of the stories my father told me is when he went to set up a new computer system in some company somewhere, he was giving the woman instructions on how to use it. As he was explaining how to turn the computer on (boot it) she burst out in gales of laughter. She apologized and explained that back in college, they called throwing up 'booting'.

9Fel

Not sure unless a lot of the folks who are the right age don't have many stories or weren't doing IT admin back then. For a lot of folks here we'd be kids in the 80's so no IT admin horror stories here. Now later stories sure, finding change in the floppy drive slot (?!), users running viruses or email worms (had a lady deny clicking on it but I pull up task manager and saw 9 of the processes running taking around 64MB or RAM (7MB each) which was getting more resources than her OS). I asked her if she clicked it, "no.. um. no.. I knew what it was". I paused and asked again just to see "well.. um.. well ok I may have clicked it once or twice... I thought my husband was being cute" .. I ask "Maybe like 8 or 9 times?". "well yeah nothing happened when I clicked it except a bunch of scrambled text on the screen".

I dunno.. we had all sorts of stories. We actually got in trouble during a holiday party where our boss jokingly gave us coloring books and crayons and we all chose a few scenarios to reenact. All of us thought they were funny but I think our crayons were taken away lmao. We tore out all the good ones we drew of people at the company, etc and compiled them in one book. It's probably still there somewhere. I wanted to usurp it before I left but I think it's probably being guarded by the rest of the folks who still work there for new employee orientation.

Although I've helped people with computers, I've never worked in IT. One thing comes to mind though.

In 1999 I was heading a committee at our University, upgrading our departmental computer "fleet" in response to the dreaded Y2K bug.

We had identified a lot of computers that were obsolete and these were heading for the trash after the hard drives were "processed" (i.e. hit wiith a hammer). I was down in our loading bay with a technician working through the pile when one of our academics came along to deposit his ancient 286 laptop. He looked at me with a gleam of mischief in his eye. "Do you mind?" he said?

He then lifted the computer up and let it fall about 7 feet to the concrete floor.

There was a sickening thud and several pieces flew in every direction.

"You know, I ALWAYS WANTED to do that!" he said with great satisfaction. He then proceeded to pick up the pieces, put them on the pile and walked off.

Tez

Let's see if I can just pick out a couple here.

In the early 80's I worked at a place manufacturing avionics systems that had one computer in the plant, an HP3000. The head of the test department had seen me and one of the engineers playing around with our brand new Commodore 64s at the plant on Saturdays when we'd come in to monitor some testing and bring our computers to make the hours between data sets pass faster. He was very interested in what we were doing with using them as programmable controllers, we had some homebrew optocoupler interfaces we'd built that we'd use to do all sorts of silly things. He wanted to built a new automated test rig for our equipment. We had one rig already, run by lawn sprinkler controllers. It wasn't unusual for someone to miss one of the little keys used on the timer dials for these and mess up an entire test run, however. The lawn sprinkler controller unit had replaced an older system controlled with wire-wrapped relay logic boards that had become extremely unreliable.

The chief of test was very interested in using a microcomputer to control the test equipment, since there was no way he'd be able to use the HP3000, which was dominated by MM/3000, an inventory control system, and a number of other management tasks when time could be spared from MM/3000. He was also interested in automated data recording--using the computer to take measurements on the systems under test rather than having a tech with a pencil and clip board read meters and write down the results, then enter them into the HP3000 at a terminal, after which they'd be entered into a report by an RPG program that would print test reports for each unit tested to show that it met its specifications.

Finally he picked up a Compaq portable, practically the day they came out. After playing with it for a few weeks, he hooked it up to the HP3000 as a terminal, so that he could have a terminal in his office, and so that he could try inserting data automatically into the system using Turbo Pascal programs.

Around the same time, the HP3000 had been having a lot of problems. It was seriously overloaded running MM/3000 and an Image database system that they'd started using to maintain some local information drawn from an ISAM database running on IBM mainframes at our corporate headquarters. On top of that, a number of people around the plant were enjoying using it to keep lists of various things for their jobs, it had a simple Listkeeper program that was a sort of proto speadsheet program that was very easy to learn and which several people around the plant were using as a sort of database app. Every day at 4pm the system would crash, leaving the MM/3000 database in a "dirty" state when it was brought back up. On top of that, we would often have crashes at other times of the day, 10am and 2pm being the favorites.

When folks from HP arrived to help us with their problems, they worked for several weeks but we were still having crashes on the 3000. Then they decided to walk around the plant. One of them saw the Compaq, found the leads running into the back of it from the 3000, and announced "Aha! You've got a piece of non-HP hardware hooked up to the 3000! Your service contract is toast!" and all the HP people packed their bags and left. HP told us they refused to support our computer until we removed all non-HP hardware from our system.

I went to our IS (Information Systems, before they started calling it IT) manager and offered to help. I determined that we were short of memory for the tasks we were running, and suggested that they not start backups every day at 4pm, but get someone else to run backups if the IS manager wasn't in a position to stay later for backups (she was a working mother and wanted to get out at a reasonable hour.) The 10am and 2pm crashes were caused by all the leads and line managers in the plant firing up Listkeeper during their workers' break time to update their databases. HP had recommended we buy a completely new system, and supplement it with an HP9000 as a departmental computer for Engineering. We had plenty of processor power for the tasks we were running, however, though we needed a memory upgrade pretty bad. And even though I would really have liked to get a 9000 for Engineering, I didn't see how that would help our problems with MM/3000, the database, and all the Listkeeper users. (In Engineering we were doing most of our computing on HP-41Cs and HP-67s, with a Vic-20, a couple of Commodore 64s, and an Atari 800 squirrelled away in the back corners of some of the offices. Only one engineer regularly did computing on the 3000, and he had a vi clone he'd written in Fortran/3000 that required so much computing power that he was banned from using it during business hours, so he'd come in at 10pm, after his wife had gone to bed, and use it and a Spice clone he'd written on the 3000 for a couple of hours.

Well, my analysis turned out to be worth everything that management had paid for it, from their perspective. They banned the evil Compaq from being connected to the HP3000's serial line. They made amends by purchasing two HP150 computers, one for Test and one for Engineering. They also claimed to have a line on a used HP9000/300 from another division of the corporation that would be provided to our engineers, as soon as the other division could find its software tapes and box it up. Mollified, HP came back on site. I dropped off a copy of my own testing and writeup in a not-too-inconspicuous spot near the 3000 in the hopes that the HP reps might find it useful. A couple of days later, once the HP reps figured out a new system was not in the cards, they announced that we could probably get by for another year if we expanded RAM and didn't do backups during the business day.

A month later, MM/3000 and the database were running smoothly, one of the HP150s had been moved to the production floor where it ran Listkeeper for the line leads, the other ran Listkeeper for Test and Engineering, the Compaq was hooked back up to the 3000 using a camoflaged cable. I was on the 3000, demoing real time graphical data monitoring to management using the HP3000 User Group's version of Forth. When I started the program and had it bouncing bar graphs around on the terminal screen, the production manager actually screamed and ran from the room. He returned a few minutes later to report that my program had not only failed to stop MM in its tracks, but had actually had less impact on the computer than a single Listkeeper session. Thus I introduced plant management to the idea that if you don't buy big fat apps from HP, you can actually do a whole heck of a lot with the computing power we had.

Another time, another tale...

I remember a group of 12 engineers doing fluid dynamics simulations for rocket designs on a shared Dell PC-XT clone while a new 486 sat unused on their manager's desk. The manager had to have the new system, as it was a status symbol. The keyboard was placed in a desk drawer, however, as he didn't want to look like he did clerical work.

I was in another area, where I had a 286 all to myself that had been cobbled together from parts literally pulled from trash cans around the plant. One of the engineers came over to use my 286 regularly, as I was only using it to maintain paperwork on calibration schedules and lists of instrumentation required for different tests. He wondered how I managed to hang on to a 286 for myself when everyone else was fighting for time across the plant on shared XTs and VAX IIs.

My trick (other than the fact that nobody had any paperwork on my system) was that it looked like a pile of electronic garbage, not a computer. It was built up on a partial chassis from a different type of equipment (some old boat anchor, I've forgotten what it was originally) wires were everywhere, the video cable was hand-made from individual wires, the monitor had a case that looked like a truck had run over it then been duct-taped back into shape, the keyboard had been left out in the weather for the better part of a year and looked awful though it worked great.

We hatched a plan for improving things over in his work area. I contacted the manager and offered to put together a 286 for his engineers. He agreed to allow it, so long as he didn't have to pay for it and no other managers showed up wanting to know where it had come from. I gave him a story to tell other managers that it had originally been received as a controller component for another piece of instrumentation (which is why IT had no record of it, and why he'd been allowed to get it) and that the instrumentation it was married to was destroyed in a test, freeing it up for use as a general purpose system (explaining why it wasn't mounted in a rack in the control room.)

I didn't offer to put together a 386 for his engineers because I knew such an offer would cause problems. First, a system so close in power to his own mighty 20MHz 486 might threaten his own ego, especially if he suspected somebody might run it up to 25MHz. Second, he wouldn't be able to keep it. Somebody from elsewhere would find out that mere rocket engineers were using a 386 while some manager elsewhere still had a 286 on his desk, a pissing match would start, and the other manager would get the 386, leaving the 486 manager "beaten" because he couldn't hold on to the equipment. A 286 was enough of a jump for the engineers to make it worth the manager being willing to agree to a new system, but it wouldn't cause any political waves.

Then I pulled together all the parts necessary. I made a copy of the 286 motherboard's BIOS ROM, and edited it to give the same message as the manager's 486 BIOS at startup then burned a new chip and dropped it in the 286 board, along with a label over the top of the 286 which read "Intel 486 20MHz". Then, after hours, I and a couple of other engineers pulled the motherboard out of the 486, edited its ROM to report itself as a 286, and stuck the mobo in a dumpy old 286's case with the I/O and Hercules graphics cards I'd scared up, while putting the 286 board in the manager's machine. Fortunately the manager had very few files on his system other than the ones originally installed by IT in a standard software configuration, so we were able to make the hard disk swap without much trouble (the 486 used IDE, while our 286 host adapter was ST-506.) I moved over everything from 1-2-3 and Harvard Graphics, the only two apps the manager had ever run, on floppies.

The manager was never the wiser, and the engineers got their fluid dynamics done so much faster on the "286" that the manager treated me to lunch because he was so happy that they weren't whining at him about their slow computer any more.

I wonder if the older folk tend not to look in the General forums section...

I don't ever look in any "section" since that would be too much work and a waste of time. I suspect that others feel the same and only use the listing of new posts.

cruisefx said:
I think there was a larger proportion of people out there who had the "don't touch it, you'll break it" mentality about technology.

I remember when that mentality started getting promoted by manufactures. They stopped providing schematics and started putting on stickers that said "no user serviceable parts inside". Many people believed it.

I remember when ... manufactures ... stopped providing schematics and started putting on stickers that said "no user serviceable parts inside". Many people believed it.

Yes - the "service" manuals given to users/admins often gave just one answer to all fault conditions: "Replace board". But these days the default solution to all issues is "buy a new machine" for less money than three hours technical service.

Rick

About 10 or 12 years ago I bought some old computers from a sale after an office complex had closed. Most of the good ones had already been picked through but I still bought the older ones that had been left in a closet. Sorting through them to see what they were made of etc. I saw an "important memo" on one and clicked to open it, after which the screen went black and said "It Is Now Safe to Turn Off Your Computer", after which I thought what's wrong here and hit the off button, and the computer began shutting down, and then I realized my mistake. After a reboot and opening this "important memo" once more, to the tune of "it is now safe to turn off your computer" I hit the ESC key and it vanished. I couldn't help but chuckle when I thought of the times unsuspecting office workers had unwittingly turned off their computer, only to see it begin to shut everything down, probably hearing some snickering from a nearby cubicle

Fix the new posts tab!

Fix the new posts tab!

I don't ever look in any "section" since that would be too much work and a waste of time.

I do EXACTLY the same thing.
The problem is you can't bookmark the "New Posts" tab, since the URL always changes.

Back