• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What XT do you have?

per

Veteran Member
For quite some time, I have been trying to make a database of the different IBM XT motherboards. This may sound real simple, but it's actually not. My main problem is that I only got two XT's, and that isn't enough to make a database.

So, what XT do you got?

Here is information I am seeking:
  • Serial number (rear of chassis)
  • Manufacturing date (PCB datecode/Stamp inside chassis)
  • Location of manufacture (back of chassis)
  • Submodel number or configuration (Early/Late is good enough, but try to be as precise as possible. See the vintage-computer wiki for details about the different submodels)
  • A detailed picture or description of the motherboard (Preferable both sides of it)
  • Any other misc information on the manufacturing of that system
The pictures has to be detailed enough to include all readable letters on the board (not including the IC's). If you decide to make a description instead, you will have to write down any longer phrases of text or numbers (>3 characters) along with the locations. You must then also state if there are any thin wires soldered onto the motherboard. Include all text on the back-side.

Here is an example:
  • S/N_0010472
  • 8247/FEB24'83AM7
  • Armonk, New York
  • Submodel 087, early configuration, Upgraded to 256KB RAM, and there are no patches applied to the PCB. Shows signs of having been upgraded/repaired in 1986. The PCB is for sure of rev 0.
  • Component side, slightly lower left (between the expansion bus slots), textblock appears upside down and in the silk-screen, the [150...] represent a number covered by a solid white square, and [H] is a "H" inside an outlined square:
    Code:
    1502655 [1501490]

0053      [H]
    Component side, lower middle. Appears in the silk-screen:
    Code:
    64-256KB SYSTEM BOARD
    Soldering side, slightly lower right. Appears as metal-shapes inside the PCB. The [ ] indicates squares with no soldering masks:
    Code:
        [            ] [            ]

Pc-A-0
    94V-0
           8247  80    [1501490     ]
  • Without doubt from one of the first shipments of XT's. This unit was originally bought by the Massachusetts general hospital.

Last edited:
U sure are askin alot as my 3 xts and my pc are all fully assembeled. I CAN tell you 2 of my XT's are 64-256kb mbs, both early 84 and my 256-640kb board is 1986. my pc is a 64-256kb board from around the 1985 era aswell. if i can glean more with out taking them apart, i'll post it

I knew that migth be a problem...

It's not too difficult to take out the system-board, the most difficult task is actually to find an open space where you can get the cover off. All you have to do is to remove the 5 screws on the cover, take the cover off, take out all expansion cards, remove the two screws holding the systemboard in place, take off the speaker/power connections and then it is just to slide the system-board out. Eventually, at this time you may also find it usefull to vacuum out all the dust that has accumulated in the bottom of the chassis. Putting it back together is just the same process, but just backwards (except for the vacuuming).

So when I do get around to pulling my XT apart so you can have the information, where do you want this information?

Posted here in the thread, or PM'd?

And are you making a database, or are you just giving us old geezers something to do? :)

I don't have an XT. Is that sad or what....?!

What is even sadder is that I now actually WANT one. All this talk about XT IDE. I feel like I'm missing out! :)

Only if it's IBM mind you....

Tez

So when I do get around to pulling my XT apart so you can have the information, where do you want this information?

Posted here in the thread, or PM'd?

And are you making a database, or are you just giving us old geezers something to do? :)

I am trying to make a daabase at least... I've sligthly updated the example, btw.

I originally thought you should post it here, but maybe PM's are better as it's questionable how much of "public interest" the information it is.

I am trying to make a daabase at least... I've sligthly updated the example, btw.

I originally thought you should post it here, but maybe PM's are better as it's questionable how much of "public interest" the information it is.

But of course, you'll post the summary here on the VCF, correct?

For quite some time, I have been trying to make a database of the different IBM XT motherboards. This may sound real simple, but it's actually not. My main problem is that I only got two XT's, and that isn't enough to make a database.

So, what XT do you got?

Here is information I am seeking:
  • Serial number (rear of chassis)
  • Manufacturing date (PCB datecode/Stamp inside chassis)
  • Location of manufacture (back of chassis)
  • Submodel number or configuration (Early/Late is good enough, but try to be as precise as possible. See the vintage-computer wiki for details about the different submodels)
  • A detailed picture or description of the motherboard (Preferable both sides of it)
  • Any other misc information on the manufacturing of that system
The pictures has to be detailed enough to include all readable letters on the board (not including the IC's). If you decide to make a description instead, you will have to write down any longer phrases of text or numbers (>3 characters) along with the locations. You must then also state if there are any thin wires soldered onto the motherboard. Include all text on the back-side.

Here is an example:
  • S/N_0010472
  • 8247/FEB24'83AM7
  • Armonk, New York
  • Submodel 087, early configuration, Upgraded to 256KB RAM, and there are no patches applied to the PCB. Shows signs of having been upgraded/repaired in 1986. The PCB is for sure of rev 0.
  • Component side, slightly lower left (between the expansion bus slots), textblock appears upside down and in the silk-screen, the [150...] represent a number covered by a solid white square, and [H] is a "H" inside an outlined square:
    Code:
    1502655 [1501490]

0053      [H]
    Component side, lower middle. Appears in the silk-screen:
    Code:
    64-256KB SYSTEM BOARD
    Soldering side, slightly lower right. Appears as metal-shapes inside the PCB. The [ ] indicates squares with no soldering masks:
    Code:
        [            ] [            ]

Pc-A-0
    94V-0
           8247  80    [1501490     ]
  • Without doubt from one of the first shipments of XT's. This unit was originally bought by the Massachusetts general hospital.

You started out very well to say ¨XT motherboard¨, but if I can add to say they won´t always be in an XT case. If someone has a Portable PC or 3270 PC it could provide some great data for which XT motherboards were commonly used there. Of course, in the back of my mind that I think most of what I have is not the parts that were originally together.

I'll of course post the results here.

If the system/mother-board is from an portable or some other variant of the XT, that goes under the "submodel & details" point.

I'll think of it next time I open it.

But.. but.. wasn't there... (wheels turning..): yes:
http://www.uncreativelabs.net/pcxtclub/oldxt.htm

and

http://www.uncreativelabs.net/pcxtclub/ViewEntries.php

Those doesn't state anything about the motherboard, just the amount of RAM. The reason I try to do this is to spot if there are any more than two revisions of the PC/XT motherboard, and in that case, how many?

It seems like when a new revision were made, old ones were patched into the new revision. I've seen at least two different kinds of patches on pictures of the XT-board, even one of them is just very minor.

Those doesn't state anything about the motherboard, just the amount of RAM. The reason I try to do this is to spot if there are any more than two revisions of the PC/XT motherboard, and in that case, how many?

Sure, I understand. But maybe you could contact them to see if its a way to get to more owners.

The members of the IBM PC/XT Club also seem to include XT 286 and all sorts of XT clones into the listing. In Per's case, it is quite obvious he is only interested in genuine IBM computers.

Back