• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Need: 386 or 486 desktop computer

linuxlove

Veteran Member
My 486 computer died so I need to get a new one so I can copy files to my 8086. All I need:

Working system
RAM (threw out all my SIMMs :( )
Case, preference will would be desktop, not tower
Video card
If it has no headers for parallel and serial it also needs to come with a multi I/O card.

If it's a 486, you can keep the CPU; I have one that should still work.
If you want to cut down on shipping, take the PSU out too, I have some that I know work.
Want to cut down further? Keep all the drives for yourself, I have drives that should work.

Yeah, but then I got to buy the case, then the RAM, then the video card and maybe a multi I/O card. But I'll look at what he has.

ADDIT: All gone!
ADDIT again: Can't find any good deals on ePay for boards...

I have:
AST Bravo LC 4/33s, Model 501378-005
486sx, 33Mhz
170 Mb Hdd, 16 Mb ram
1.44 FDD, CD-Rom, Sound card
Running DOS 6.2 / Win3.1

I also have a HP Vectra 486/25N desktop unit, system # D2613A
Can ship from zip 08005, or pick-up.( U.S.A only).
Make offer + shipping

Thanks,
BillT356

Attachments

• HPIM2403.jpg
    HPIM2403.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 1
  • HPIM2404.jpg
    HPIM2404.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 1
  • HPIM2406.jpg
    HPIM2406.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 1
  • HPIM2407.jpg
    HPIM2407.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 1
  • HPIM2408.jpg
    HPIM2408.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 1
Being incredibly lazy, I didn't bother looking back to see where /dev/null is located. If you can get yourself to Wantage, NJ you're welcome to pick through the dozen or motherboards/systems I have and take your pick.

I have no interest in packing, shipping or even dealing with packers or shippers. I want nothing packed or shipped...

Oh, wait, this is a different movie.

lol /dev/null is a joke. I guess I should put Alabama down for real but I kinda like /dev/null... meh. You don't want to ship or is this also a joke?

As long as you have either a 386 or 486 in working condition that meets the specs above, I'll be happy to buy something.

Really not interested in shipping at all. Have no desire. Not scrapping anything, it is just very inconvenient to pack and ship for little or no reward.

lol /dev/null is a joke. I guess I should put Alabama down for real but I kinda like /dev/null... meh. You don't want to ship or is this also a joke?
Well, I'm a big fan of everybody putting their rough location up here, but I certainly agree that /dev/null _is_ funny and I kinda like it. :)

Re shipping. Yep it's a problem. I would love to send you something, but from way up here it's not worth it for either of us. How about calling up all your older relatives in nearby states and inviting them to visit this summer - oh, and "bring that old system you wanted a home for". lol

Have you checked your local craigslist ads for people selling lots of related type things? I'd ask around, people have a lot that isn't listed. I have found it to be a great way to find odd items.

The oldest thing I can find on our local CL is a Pentium III, maybe a Pentium I IF I'm lucky. But meh, that's what you get living in a college town. Nothing close to vintage.

Well...if you're just going to be USING the machine, that is applying a task to it and requiring reliability, you may be better off going with something a touch newer like a Pentium I anyway.

Kind of kills the appeal of the machine, I'm sure, but the number of headache reductions while trying to accomplish what you need to do may be worth it.

^ what he said :)

I have a Pi 133 or a PI 166 processor, mobo, and RAM that I could part with. AT form factor, lotsa ISA slots, and a cache slot (I think I have a cache card lying around, I might toss that in as well).

Back