• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

WTB 16-bit ISA IDE interface card (with BIOS!)

kishy

Veteran Member
Not too concerned about drive capacity limit, doesn't need to have drive power lead, but definitely needs a BIOS on-card.

Application: want to install an IDE(-AT) hard drive in my PS/2 30 286. Have an 8-bit IDE card but I've identified it as a (significant) performance bottleneck, it would seem (such that using RLL card and drive results in much faster everything...I think the bottleneck relates to the 16/8 bit translations that the card has to do).

I'd just use the RLL card and drive but...I need lots and lots of space for the giant games library I plan to shove onto this thing, and ideally then reliability afterwards.

Please let me know what you've got and how much you'd want. Heads up, my budget doesn't allow me to make any sort of extravagant offer on it.

Thanks!

If you have trouble finding an IDE controller with a BIOS for cheap, see about an Adaptec 15xx series SCSI controller. They come with and without a floppy controller, and the controller should be disabled with the Model 30. You get the added benefit of being able to add on external SCSI CD-ROMs or other removable media devices.

A couple (maybe 4) months ago, there was a fellow with a batch of NIB Promise ISA IDE controllers (including BIOS). Maybe he hasn't sold them all.

If you have trouble finding an IDE controller with a BIOS for cheap, see about an Adaptec 15xx series SCSI controller. They come with and without a floppy controller, and the controller should be disabled with the Model 30. You get the added benefit of being able to add on external SCSI CD-ROMs or other removable media devices.

D'OH! Why didn't I think of this before?

I've got an AHA-1540CF and a 1GB SCSI drive and cable ready to go.

Thank you, you've just saved me some $$.

A couple (maybe 4) months ago, there was a fellow with a batch of NIB Promise ISA IDE controllers (including BIOS). Maybe he hasn't sold them all.

True, but IIRC his asking price at the time for a single card was beyond what I was able to pay (and while certainly NIB increases the value, if I'm about to rip it out of the box and use it I have no interest in paying for the added value of NIB)

I'm going to play with the SCSI idea...only problem may be cabling logistics within the case but I think it should be workable.

Presently running a LLF on a Quantum Prodrive 1225S in my 8530-E01.

Looks like SCSI's gonna work. Adaptec's "SCSISelect" utility makes this ever-so-easy too.

Consider this request canceled.

The next "WTB" ad will be to help me populate that spacious, currently 3/4 empty ISA RAM expansion card...and figure out the jumpers on it. Not easy because the card seems entirely generic.

No problem about the SCSI suggestion! I didn't think of it for a long time...my Model 30/286 had its drive pulled and drilled, as it came from our local state surplus auction, so after months of on-and-off searching for a new planar drive, I realized that one of the ISA Adaptecs I had would probably work fine since they have boot ROMs.

I salvaged a Molex connecter from a burned out power supply, and soldered it to +12 and +5 power tracks on the ISA riser. That way, I could mount the SCSI drive inside the case, behind the original IBM hard drive blank. If your SCSI drive doesn't have an LED on the front, you can hot glue one to the LED slot on the IBM drive blank, and connect it to the activity LED header on the Adaptec card.

What sort of RAM does your expansion card require?

No problem about the SCSI suggestion! I didn't think of it for a long time...my Model 30/286 had its drive pulled and drilled, as it came from our local state surplus auction, so after months of on-and-off searching for a new planar drive, I realized that one of the ISA Adaptecs I had would probably work fine since they have boot ROMs.

I salvaged a Molex connecter from a burned out power supply, and soldered it to +12 and +5 power tracks on the ISA riser. That way, I could mount the SCSI drive inside the case, behind the original IBM hard drive blank. If your SCSI drive doesn't have an LED on the front, you can hot glue one to the LED slot on the IBM drive blank, and connect it to the activity LED header on the Adaptec card.

What sort of RAM does your expansion card require?

I did something different for power...I made a thread about it a while back. I connected wires on the end of a Molex lead to the +12V, +5V and Ground connections in the motherboard hard drive connector. Seemed to me that if any circuits would supply enough current to run a hard drive it would be those (since it's what they were designed for).

Unfortunately this machine (8530-E01) originally had no hard drive so the front panel cover is the type without vent holes or an LED "window". I'm actively looking for that version of the cover. The drive does have an LED and it lines up closely to where the window will be on the cover.

The RAM, I'm not sure. They're little DIP packages, but since the machine is closed up again now I can't tell you much more. I believe they're 16 pin...if not then perhaps 12.

Just a little progress report before bed...

The combination of a superior drive interface plus 16 bit transfers seems to be making a huge difference. Partitioning and formatting the drive + installing MS-DOS 6.22 went considerably smoother than it did with the Juko 8 bit card...can't wait to see Win3.1 going on top.

The DIPs are actually 18 pin...oops.

Chips say:
8842HCZ
TC511000AP-10

8530-e01_3..jpg

Card says "8 MEG AT RAM". Main chip is by Boca Research. Can't find any info for this card through my usual sources.

Back