• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Looking: Tyan s1564d

Well it looks like the one I threw away, it was in the trashcan, two days ago and retrived last night is good. I put the original s1564S back in the case and it had the same problems. Previously it worked in the same case with the same stuff nothing different. After ripping everything out of the case both MB worked perfect on my test bench. I just love working with this old stuff, you never really know. Tonight I will insulate the MB from the case and hope that works.

Thanks for the reply Chuck,

framer

What I remember about the S1563D is that it had some of the finest (smallest) PCB traces that I'd ever seen at the time, which could be a source of problems. The biggest difference between the 63D and 64D is that the former could work only with two Intel Pentium CPUs, where the latter could work with Cyrix and others. I used mine for quite awhlie with two 166MHz P1 CPUs until it just got to be too outdated to be useful. Windows NT 4.0 ran beautifully on it.

I loaded w2k pro w/spk4 and it run better than I thought. Once it gets working in the case I was planning going to install nt4.

In the back of my brain I remember one board that I owned had to insulate from the case and this could be that board. Why it was working before and not now only the 1's know, the 0's have no clue.

framer

I finally got done with this system using NT4 sp6 workstation. Dual 233 MMX 256M ram it does not like memory in the 3rd and 4th bank. 256M is really plenty. Really runs sweet. Using an intel pro 100 speed pci network card and ie6 for internet access.

framer

.....It needed to be insulated from the case.

framer

This is realy strange. Just making sure, your computer is connected to a grounded outlet? I thought (please correct me if I'm wrong!) some motherboards actually required to have metal mounting screws in atleast some of the mounting holes so it is not insulated from the case.
Ofcourse when it must be insulated you could always go for plastic mounting pins (for lack of what their proper name is), I use those scavenged from old AT systems.

Back