• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Unknown graphics card

TheLazy1

Experienced Member
I've looked all over google but couldn't get anything for this card I found lying around.
Unfortunately I can't take pictures at the moment but I'll list what I can.

The card is an 8bit ISA card, has a light pen header, 1 female DB9 and 1 female DB25.

ICs:
====
SiS 82c11
SiS 84C12 8804 W^92602
SiS 23c01 8945
2x HM50464P-12
KS74HCTLS245N

Okay, let's think about this.

It has 2 65Kx4bit DRAMs, giving it a 65K display memory. The connector for the DB25 is almost certainly a parallel port as these were most often paired with display hardware. The DE9 connector means that it's probably MGA (can't be MDA, as there's too much memory), some sort of CGA, or possibly EGA.

You didn't mention any ROM or EPROM, so that lets out EGA. I'm going to venture that given the amount of memory that this is most likely a Hercules Plus MGA clone. Hook up a monochrome monitor, set your motherboard switches (if needed for monochrome) and see what happens.

A shot of the circuitry around the DE9 would pretty much cinch the monochrome diagnosis.

One system info utility I tried said it was either MGA or MDA (forgot) so it looks like you're right on this, thanks :)
That makes 3 monochrome graphics cards I have lying around, possibly more since I keep finding cards in random places.

I think that may have gone up to 4...
Are all video cards with 64KB and a parallel port monochrome?

[Edit]
Aannnd.... now we're up to 5.

[Edit]
I have 6 monochrome video cards...
Why, why couldn't I see even 1 CGA or EGA card?

Actually, I've never seen an EGA card nor do I have monitors for EGA/CGA but still...

Last edited:
It's definately HercMono then, because 64k way more than you need for MDA mode, but not enough for EGA. You should also be able to run CGA on this card too, provided that it is truly HercMono compatible. It looks like there's a jumper block on the card's top (can't see well) and I'd be willing to bet that's what it does. I think the link to the Wiki article is actually fairly good for this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hercules_Graphics_Card

Yeah, come to think of it, I haven't exactly seen bunches of EGA cards myself either, but I do remember having an NEC monitor and EGA card I ripped out of an old NEC brand XT clone into a Dell 286 AT clone once. It was a fairly big card, as I recall.

EGA cards could be very small. I've got a couple of Everex Micro Enhancer EGA cards that aren't much longer than the ISA connector. They actually conserve space by putting a DIP under the BIOS EPROM. It's about as dense a card as you can get using through-hole technology.

Right, Genoa and Paradise both made short 8 bit cards, but this NEC card happened to be on the large side.

Hercules cards were very popular with business users. They were cheap and even Harvard Graphics wasn't enough to make color worthwhile (it did stippling and lines very well).

PGA was too expensive for what you got for most users. On one technical visualization project I worked on we only got approval to move forward when we re-specced it with EGA, when it became available.

Even after VGA came out, Hercules was still common even in new systems, and most people didn't see the cost of a new monitor worth the upgrade. Most folks who stared at a monitor all day for a living resisted the change as they weren't comfortable looking at the awful 60Hz images most "business priced" low end monitors put out. They were usually vehement that only an amber or green screen would let them work without headaches.

In my own home, my wife refused to shift off her Hercules card (one of the later enhanced models) until I paired up a high quality XGA-capable Orchid card with a high refresh rate Trinitron monitor for her. She couldn't complain about the price since they were developer loans the client didn't want to pay to ship back after the job. Still, it lived alongside the Herc card in her 386 (the latest processor, that she was up for--with math coprocessor, Weitek if possible) for eight months until she started to decide color wasn't so bad, and might even turn out to be useful.

Back