• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What do you guys think about Goodwill and Dell recycling electronics?

I have nothing to add to the question, but like this quote: "You are responsible for backing up any valuable information" before you dump your old computer to recycling. I thought it goes without saying that once you sent it to recycling, there is no practical way to change your mind and get it back. Perhaps though they are obliged to have that disclaimer.

I don't mind it--the local Goodwill dropoff spot is much closer to where I live. Useful for stuff I can't give away on the VCForum.

Isn't there some government money funding this?

Yes, these drops are government-funded to some degree. Our YMCA operates a similar thing...they salvage what they think they can sell from donations (pull all of the boards, save good cases, et c.) and the rest gets loaded into a semi trailer for recycling. They take any electronic junk though, not just computers. If I can't give something away, it usually ends up there, unless it has value as metal scrap.

The YMCA here also helps with a local program to provide computers to the poor and mentally handicapped. They're especially big on working CRT monitors, which is great, because those are some of the hardest things to recycle (at least, that's what I've been told by people in the scrap business). I'm sure a few neat old systems get recycled, but in general I think places like these are a good idea.

It's not a bad thing. One of the local recyclers says it loses about $8 per TV set, even with government support.

Now I have somewhere to take old VGA monitors, 10Base2 network stuff and lots of RG58 coax. Many of these Goodwill drops are unattended, so there also may be some picking opportunities. :wink:

It's not a bad thing. One of the local recyclers says it loses about $8 per TV set, even with government support.
<snip>
Well, if OK Go takes that Rube Goldberg show you posted on tour, that should take care of a few old TVs (not to mention pianos) ;-)

Back