• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Newb has AMD 386dx-40 and mobo from curb computer. Worth anything?

RobL777

Someone threw out a Cirrus 386DX-40 (with Turbo Boost button!) recently. I opened it up and found it has an AMD 386-40 CPU in it, along with a bunch of memory, some adapter cards, and a Quantum ProELS 42 MB hard drive. Is any of this stuff worth any money?

I am new to this forum and not a vintage computer guy. I looked briefly in the Marketplace on this forum, but couldn't find similar parts there. I am trying to figure out if I should throw the stuff out, or sell a few of them on eBay, or what. I am moving soon, and want to move the minimum of stuff.

I appreciate any help I receive here.

I'm not a seller usually so my experience is limited in true market value but not much of it will be worth a lot. You can probably find some folks who may want a few of the parts for under $10. I mean some parts may be difficult to find so it's hard to tell but in general you could list the parts you have inside and you may get some hits but it will likely go for less than the cost to ship the parts.

Thanks, barythrin. I thought that might be the situation. Apparently, true vintage computers are from the late 70s and early 80s, correct?

As with anything else, there are people for whom this may be of some value. There are many who think the vintage case is probably the best part.

Don't discount the cards until you've identified them all. Some of the more uncommon ones can be quite valuable.

Chuck, what is the best way to ID the adapter cards? One card is a Zoom fax/modem. Another is a VGA adapter, and the other two look like they have male and/or female serial ports on them, along with ports I am unfamiliar with.

Someone threw out a Cirrus 386DX-40 (with Turbo Boost button!) recently. I opened it up and found it has an AMD 386-40 CPU in it, along with a bunch of memory, some adapter cards, and a Quantum ProELS 42 MB hard drive. Is any of this stuff worth any money?

I am new to this forum and not a vintage computer guy. I looked briefly in the Marketplace on this forum, but couldn't find similar parts there. I am trying to figure out if I should throw the stuff out, or sell a few of them on eBay, or what. I am moving soon, and want to move the minimum of stuff.

I appreciate any help I receive here.

I may want to buy the whole computer for you, I'm looking for a computer I can link to my PS/2 system.

linuxlove, thanks. There is no guarantee of what works and what doesn't. I have no way of testing any of it. And the case and frame are very heavy, being all steel. It is built like a tank. Shipping costs would be high.

Chuck, what is the best way to ID the adapter cards? One card is a Zoom fax/modem. Another is a VGA adapter, and the other two look like they have male and/or female serial ports on them, along with ports I am unfamiliar with.

For me, pictures are worth a lot. It's fun when a forum member picks up some strange card and posts photos for guesses about what it might do.

Back