• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Help wanted with an IBM 8" FDD

richo132

I bought one of the "dbit FDADAP" boards a few months ago and have been looking out for an 8” FDD.

Recently I was given an IBM unit (p/n 4240513) that I believe was a spare for IBM M/F equip – possibly a 3274 comms controller.

Probably not relevant, but the drive is marked “Assembled in the Netherlands”.

I cannot see any date markings but the drive is in good shape and spins up quietly with 230V AC applied to the motor.

Problem for me is that the data/control cable header has 36pins whereas I was expecting to see 50....

One pin is missing from this header - unmarked but must be either 3/4 or 15/16.

Can anyone offer advice on how to get this to work with a PC ? Cheers.

That would be the 51TD floppy drive, used on a lot of older IBM equipment, including S/36 and (I believe) S/370. I've never seen a technical reference document on it, though I imagine that they exist.

Custom floppy controllers like the Catweasel can be made to run 8" disks, I made a thread asking a similar question a few months back, try searching for it.

Custom floppy controllers like the Catweasel can be made to run 8" disks, I made a thread asking a similar question a few months back, try searching for it.

Not all 8" floppy drives are the same. For example, I defy you to hook a Memorex 651 up to a Catweasel.

So, nicho, you're saying that the header on the naked drive (not on the cable coming from it, is 36 pins? I thought that IBM used a lot of Shugart 850s and before that, 901s.

Not all 8" floppy drives are the same. For example, I defy you to hook a Memorex 651 up to a Catweasel.

So, nicho, you're saying that the header on the naked drive (not on the cable coming from it, is 36 pins? I thought that IBM used a lot of Shugart 850s and before that, 901s.
Thanks for the responses.
Yes, the data/control cable header has 36pins.
I don't know anything about Catweasels, but unless they explicitIy support my drive they'd need to support mapping the drive header pins to match the controller input. This would still need a pinout diagram for the drive header - which I don't have. Anyone know where I could source this ? Cheers.

PM me with your email--a CCLIST-er has kindly furnished some scans of the connector and test point pinouts for your drive. I'll pass them on to you.

Back