• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What Japanese computer should I get?

Tupin

Experienced Member
I have a Sony MSX2, but I'm interested in some of the other Japanese computers. I've been looking at a PC-9800, specifically this one:

https://www.risingstuff.com/store/products.php/PC-9801N-Laptop-no-power-cord-junk-unit/

Could this laptop PC-9800 run all the software a desktop one could? How would I go about taking the numerous .hdi and .fdi files and use them on it? That model I posted, I know it takes AC power, it takes any AC power supply with the right sized tip and a wattage rating of 9-17?

Also taking suggestions for any other good Japanese computers/where to buy them.

It's been decades since I was in Japan, but one of the coolest computer related items I saw was a Sharp calculator - with built in abacus! Very cool.

The PC9801N is pretty basic--it uses a 10MHz V30 (basically a CMOS version of an 8086). 640K, runs DOS/V. Since this was a real-mode-only system, you're limited to DOS programs, but that may not be too bad. If you're interested more in games, then a 286 or 386 desktop model may be more to your liking.

One thing bothers me about the 9801N shown--they say "Assume it to be non-working".

They say that because it comes with no power supply, but I can't imagine it not working. The only problem is that shipping is $40 and that takes 1 to 3 months. I got my MSX from them and had them EMS it over, either you pay $100 to ship it or $40 and wait up to three months.

Like I said, I was looking for another place to buy it. Also, how would I take the files I download and put them on a PC-9800? I heard it has a weird way of formatting disks.

If you need a driver fto write PC98 diskettes to run on a DOS-equipped PC, I've got one. They use 8x1024 byte sectors per track, with a 2-track reserved area at the beginning of the disk. The good news is that it doesn't matter if the media is 8", 5.25" or 3.5"--though it takes a 3.5" HD drive capable of running at 360 RPM (again, not impossible). One very notable thing that NEC did right.

Alternatively, you might see if you can find a NEC APC on this side of the pond. There were a few sold here and it's very close (runs the same DOS 2.11 that the PC9801 runs) to the PC9801. But you'll probably have to deal with 8" diskettes.

Like I said, I was looking for another place to buy it.

The postage rates out of Japan are absolutely absurd, so you're going to see similar prices no matter who you buy from, unless you happen to find someone in the US selling one. (And in the case of the latter, the selling price usually grows to offset the lower shipping.)

Basically, if you really want that sort of hardware, you have to decide whether to bite the bullet or go without. There's not much option in between, unfortunately.

Everything is relative. In the early 90s, there was an outfit related to NEC America down in San Diego or La Jolla whose aim was to familiarize people with the PC98 architecture. They distributed software, parts and gave seminars. One of our customers was in need of a NEC floppy drive for one of these (very different from the usual 3.5" floppies we see here). They quoted me $397 for the bare drive, plus shipping. I still have the FAX somewhere.

(We eventually found a CNC equipment supplier who had the same drives for half that) This was from a time when 1.44MB floppy drives could be had for less than $50.

Back