• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Another insane bid on Ebay

It usually goes for around $100 (at least the last thime I checked), but that's for opened and not nessecarely complete listings. The one in this listing is unopened and in mint condition.

It's quite funny when it comes to the sticker on the silkwrap:
Special Offer! Free copies of Microsoft, Windows Write, a writing program, and Microsoft, Windows Paint, a painting progam

Maybe it's time I sell my spare copy of shrinkwrapped Windows 3.0 (yes I have two! :eek:)...

I should see what would happen if I sold my shrinkwrapped copy of Windows ME.
...No wait. that will never have any value.

Edit: I'm sure we all know about this as well. ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL4hyATkQ74
Is it just me or does every new upload of that video get worse and worse quality?

Wow, Windows WAS reasonably priced at one point.

IT HAS A CONTROL PANEL!!!! :O

And yeah, that's some pretty bad quality, lol..

I should see what would happen if I sold my shrinkwrapped copy of Windows ME.
...No wait. that will never have any value.

Yeah, it'd probably fetch even less than it's Vista equivalent.. I still sometimes wonder how many users of the time burned/discarded/whatever their copy of ME and reverted back to 98 (or 98SE)?

Valentin

Worth noting: the winning bidder was not a newb. they had 759 feedback!

I have a copy (not original disks) of 1.01 somewhere... came with my IBM convertible.

Windows ME isn't actually that bad, once patched. I used it at the time and reverted back to 98SE in a heartbeat, don't get me wrong, but in retrospect it's not any less stable, just as Vista isn't any worse than Windows 7, stability-wise, when put to SP2.

Makes me wonder what my original version of IBM Topview would be worth. I did keep the original manuals (in slipcase) and 5.25" floppys. Topview was IBM's first attempt at multi-tasking on their personal computer line. It required DOS 2.0 or later and X86 in real mode to run. Windows were constructed using text only, which is why it never became popular, and it was discontinued after Microsoft introduced Windows.

Worth noting: the winning bidder was not a newb. they had 759 feedback!

I have a copy (not original disks) of 1.01 somewhere... came with my IBM convertible.

Keep in mind the price is set by the #2 bidder. He was ready to spend $10 less.
So there are at least two people out there who wanted it badly.

Bill

I wonder if this is another of those auctions where a person puts an insanely high price, to make sure they don't have to follow the auction but expect to pay much less. Then another does the same thing and gets screwed. I recall that happened with a rather useless laptop a year ago, sold for over 1k.

I wonder if this is another of those auctions where a person puts an insanely high price, to make sure they don't have to follow the auction but expect to pay much less. Then another does the same thing and gets screwed. I recall that happened with a rather useless laptop a year ago, sold for over 1k.

Bid history shows somebody pecked away at the winner's standing max bid, and gave up at $700.
The winner would very likely have saved some dough there by sniping.
(although there was a sniper up near the winning bid, too)

There were a few other bidders sprinkled in here and there.

A handful of people really wanted that thing bad.

Bill

Man, I can't win crap anymore lol (unrelated to this but regarding the sniping) and yeah it's not like I'm really losing items by $10 since their max would have probably been some other extraordinarily high amount. Still, I'm certainly surprised to see that price, but good point by Bill also with two folks having bid that amount. It's interesting how these OS's including flops end up being so valuable and historically interesting despite not many folks thinking about it at the time.

Yeah on auctions I have the same problem, anything that anyone else is even VAGUELY interested in I'll get sniped on in the last 5 seconds of the auction, even if I'm watching it closely and fight back and forth.

I would almost expect to see that for an unopened still sealed for OS/2 1.00. It is a lot more collectable IMO

I have a copy of OS/2 v1.0 but its been opened. It's a copy I actually used way back when,
for some reason I just couldn't toss it in the trash. The OS is on (4) 3.5 diskettes.

On that bid, I'm with wmmullaney; I think whoever this was just really wanted to play Reversi, as that was probably the best feature of Windows 1.X.

I like the idea of putting the copy of TopView out to bid. I would think that'd be worth more than Windows 1.X, but whatever. And how about an original version of DESQ or GEM? If all you really wanted to do was run DOS apps (and let's face it, that's what we wanted to do in the 80s), DESQView ran circles around Windows and just about everything else.....except for those blessed with a 386 and OS/2, but that's another story.

Back