• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

5160 w/ NEC V20 Questions

The XT-286 is an AT class machine and therefore the keyboard (also AT class) won't work on a 5160, unless the keyboard is an auto-switching type.

Forgive me but I believe you're quite wrong about this. The XT-286 is indeed an XT class. The keyboard is autoswitching anywho and I've tested it on numerous XT machines in the past (and it does work on my 5160).

See this sentence from wikipedia:
"In 1986, the XT/286 (IBM 5162) with a 6 MHz Intel 80286 processor was introduced. This system actually turned out to be faster than the ATs of the time using 8 MHz 286 processors due to the fact that it had zero wait state RAM that could move data more quickly."

As you can see, they're contrasting XT-286 and AT, further supporting that the XT-286 is not an AT machine. It might be AT class in the sense that it runs the same software as an AT machine, due to the same CPU, but it's an XT as far as the BIOS and expansion bus is concerned.

The XT-286 is definitely an AT class machine crammed into an XT case. It uses CMOS for setup like an AT as opposed to switches for an XT. Has 16-bit slots as opposed to 8-bit slots for an XT. A "modern" keyboard can be plugged into an XT-286 but won't work with an XT unless auto or manually switching. The XT-286 has much more in common with an AT than it does with an XT.

I thought the XT-286 had 8-bit slots.. o_O
5 x 16-bit, plus 3 x 8-bit

From Scott Mueller's 'Upgrading and Repairing PCs' book,
"IBM introduced a new AT type of system disguised under the premise that it was IBM's fastest, most powerful PC XT. " "This model may look like an XT, but under the skin, it's all AT."

XT-286 Motherboard (note the SIMMS):

post.cgi

I'd rather state the XT-286 was the successor of the AT in a way (for all but the case..)

Wasn't the XT286 really intended by IBM to use up the stock of 1560 cases? One curious aspect is that it can't use full-height AT cards. Does it use the same 150W 5160 PSU?

Wasn't the XT286 really intended by IBM to use up the stock of 1560 cases?

That is often claimed, but I think (just guessing!) that it might have also been a way to offer 286 power to companies and agencies who were only contracted to buy and use "IBM XT" computers.

And sometimes the huge AT simply won't fit on a desk!

Back