• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

How I view my vintage collection.

framer

Veteran Member
I collect vintage computer so I can run my vintage software collection. I've limited the computers to 5170 or older. I'm looking for more quality than quantity.

1 - 5150 2-FH drives all IBM cards, 5151 monitor. 64-256 motherboard, 640K w/card.

1 - 5150 plus many card to configure for my needs, IDE with CF card, SB1350b.

1 - 5160 w/SCSI HD, CD-rom, CGI, 1.4M floppy, 360K HH floppy, DOS networking FTPing, 5153 monitor.

1 - 5170 A GEM, Case Mint, IBM vertical case, Latest MB with newest IBM BIOS, 3.5 & 5.25 floppies, XMS & EMS 8megs Run win 3.1 with networking. Lots of real IBM 16 bit cards. VGA monitor, Looking for a 5154.

1 - 5170, Case & PS new not IBM but motherboard and most card IBM. SCSI HD & CD-rom. This motherboard is the older type with 2nd gen BIOS. Looking for a real 5170 case to complete it.

1 - Zenith Z-110 Single floppy CP/M system.

Normally if I get the hots for something I collect the Docs and the software 1st. Then look for the hardware. I doubt my collection will grow much further. I will always be interested in anything that might make an existing unit more original. But what was original?

It's more amazing what you can find in old software or HD purchases.

framer

Some Photo of the 5170's

Some Photo of the 5170's

Late model 5170

1.jpg

Taken out of vertical case.
2.jpg

Very clean case, It had been protected by the vertical case.
3.jpg

Back of unit.
5.jpg

It still has the original plastic protector on the tag.
6.jpg

This photo shows the EMS card. If anyone which additional details about just ask. I bought it as NOS on ebay for $35 It uses 1meg 30 pin simms. It came with the original manual and 5 inch software driver disk. It currently has 6 megs installed.
8.jpg

The next photo shows a Intel 8/16 lan card and a ct 1790 Sound Blaster card.
10.jpg

This shows the 1.2 drive and the 1.44 drive. The HD is an 6G IDE drive that I did use a drive manager on and have 3-2Gig partitions.
11.jpg

This shows the late model motherboard, note the memory configuration.
13.jpg

This shows the last version of 5170 BIOS and the 80286-8 processor.
14.jpg

It also had the 80287-8 chip installed.
15.jpg

I am able to run Win31 in standard mode and use a DOS lan manager to access the local network for file transfers. I can also FTP off the internet. It's a great machine for old DOS gaming. I have access to VGA, currently in the machine, RGB, EGA and Mono cards.

I'll be documenting the rest of the AT stuff over he next couple of days.

framer

Great pics! The machine looks brand new. Really fine looking piece of machinery.

wow beautiful AT! i'd lurves to get me hands on one of those eventually. sadly, i have no true blue IBM machines. (vintage IBM, anyway. my Pentium III IBM doesn't count.)

Very nice, I would love a 5170 in that condition, but have yet to see one around here. The only real IBM made computers I have are old Thinkpads and PS/2 units.

Wow, that is an awesome machine! Vertical case? That's the first time I've seen one of those. Very, very nice! :)

Tom

What is the name of your EMS board with the 6 megs installed?

It was from DFI MegaLITH Plus, an EMS(LIM 4.0 and EEMS Memory Board)

The best part was a real manual and install - driver disk came with it. I didn't have to chase around for drivers and switch settings. I used old matching speed 1 meg simms from my stock and it works perfect.

framer

Thank you for the info. Are the regular 1meg simms (used in 386 motherboards for example) compatible with this EMS board?
I'm asking because my AST Rampage 286 plus cannot use regular 30pin 1meg simms, but certain 80ns specific ones.

Thank you for the info. Are the regular 1meg simms (used in 386 motherboards for example) compatible with this EMS board?
I'm asking because my AST Rampage 286 plus cannot use regular 30pin 1meg simms, but certain 80ns specific ones.

You can use 256 x 8 or 256 x 9 (70 - 12ns) or 1M x 8 or 1M x 9 (70 - 120ns) SIMM.

As you can see I use two different brands but all the same size and speed.

framer

This is my 2nd 5170

This is my 2nd 5170

This post is about my 2nd 5170. Now this one is not in an IBM case because I've not found one that I like yet but it more IBM then the above one in that it has some real IBM cards being used. This is the Motherboard that came in that nice looking case. I removed it because it was an older type MB with a 2nd generation BIOS and put together this 2nd system.

Here's the new genaric case note the three drive bays.
47.jpg

Overview of what in the box.
51.jpg

The top black HD is a 500MB 50-Pin SCSI drive. The CD-Rom drive is also a SCSI interface. The SCSI card is a Adaptec AHA-1520B This was used to boot the system until I added the IDE interface just last week.
52.jpg

The case was found on ebay as NOS with a PS for under $25.00 I had posted the deal here months ago as the seller had a few to get rid of. I really reget not getting a couple more for future AT size boards I want to set up.
53.jpg

This was the cleanest MB I've seen since starting this hobby. Check out the CO-Processor .
54.jpg

This was the card in slot 1, a real IBM serial / parallel card. This card can be seen on page 4-47 to 4-50 in the Guide to Operation AT Manual 6280066
55.jpg

I believe that this is a real IBM 128/640 expansion board. If anyone has docs please advise here. If it is not I'd like to know that also.
56.jpg

This is a real IBM Game control Adapter.
57.jpg

This card gives me 2 megs of EMS memory plus a serial and parallel, if anyone needs drivers or docs for this board I could post it here.
58.jpg

This shows the memory configuration of this MB. It was the stacked chips. This MB uses the 80286-6 processor.
61.jpg

When I got this board it used an older 2 gen BIOS and I could not use an IDE interface. Last week I got my hands on an after market award 286 BIOS and it works great. I can now use the HD floppies without driver.sys in the config.sys file and the IDE card allows both the SCSI and IDE to be use at the same time. I almost forgot but I can now use the 101 key keyboard vs the 83 key AT Keyboard which is hard to get. I am keeping the old BIOS just in case I want to put this back to original.
63.jpg

My hard to fine almost mint 83 Key AT Keyboard.
20.jpg

21.jpg

Back with label.
23.jpg

My standard early model M. But also very nice shape.
18.jpg

The back label on the M.
19.jpg

I'll do one more post later with the rest of my AT stuff.

framer

Think they got enough holes on the left side of that joystick card? lol..
Prototyping/signal conditioning area for general-purpose analogue input.

I've never seen machines so clean! Does this man have a wormhole to a 1980s IBM warehouse ?

Prototyping/signal conditioning area for general-purpose analogue input.

I've never seen machines so clean! Does this man have a wormhole to a 1980s IBM warehouse ?

Explains the vague "Analog Input Card" name - cool.

If he does have a wormhole, we should ask him to get some stuff for us all. xD

I must confess. The 1st AT in the thread was found on Ebay. It was listed for 3 minutes when I spotted it. It had a buy it now for $175+65 shipping which included the vertical case, mint 83 key AT keyboard, and a nice 5153 monitor. Shipping I believe was included. Most of the cards & MB of the 2nd listed AT were in it. I consider myself extremely lucky. What was strange is I hesitated about 3 seconds before I bought it. Sometimes you just have to step up to the pump if you want it bad. Then there the matter of the dear wife, a bunch of flowers from the super market and a dinner out helped. I had about given up on getting a complete AT. Well that's my wormhole.

framer

Very nice systems! Makes me want to get my ATs cleaned up and back in service. Unfortunately, the working 5151 monitors they came with got scrapped as a result of workshop clean-out a few years ago ("when will I ever use these when I can plug a VGA card in?").

Is there any chance you could do a ROM dump for the enhanced AT ROMs?

Back