• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What's your favorite game intro or song?

Also on the pinball theme... Pinball Dreams sticks in my mind too for the music, or was is Pinball Fantasies? I probably had both of them... whichever it was, it was probably the first game I had on CD-ROM

Opening Music
1.) Time Lord - NES
2.) Mega Man III - NES
3.) The Secret of Monkey Island II: LeChuck's Revenge - PC/Mac
4.) Mario Paint - SNES
5.) Final Fantasy Series - NES/SNES

Favorite Intro Sequence
1.) Ultima VII Part II: Serpent's Isle - PC/DOS
2.) Postal 2: Share The Pain - PC/Linux/Windows
3.) Les Manley - PC/DOS
4.) Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist - PC/DOS/Win
5.) Ultima VIII: Pagan - PC/DOS

I picked five of each, for me, the best openings do not always have the greatest music, and vice versa.

lmao.. I remember in Ultima VII I guess I didn't have a legit copy or didn't have the manual or something so when Lord British was asking me questions I was having to guess and never could get them all right. So I couldn't really play the game so I wandered around (finding I couldn't get out of the city.. grr..) Found a TSR "helper" and moved a piece of the wall out of the way so I could leave the city. Added some characters to my party including a dog .. I gave him flight and he ran away :'-( .. anyway I should play that game again now that I do have it on the compilation cd.

I was trying to keep it older but the time line blurs so much for me so one of the first games that really impressed me and had good music was Terminal Velocity (486 era and adlib). That was around when the PC started getting better graphics and actual music in games vs pc speaker ditties.

Also a later game but you can almost just listen to Donkey Kong Country (SNES) and it had music I quite enjoyed while playing and pretty good for snes. This is just the game music put to some quick gameplay. A new used (older) game store recently opened up in Barton Creek Mall here in Austin and they were playing the game on a big screen tv as store music when I walked in. Works pretty nicely.

Red: Very cool song in that intro.. I'll have to find out who did it. Sounds very similar to a lot of Yoko Kanno or Origa (Origa is Russian but sings in Japanese for several of Yoko's songs). I'm breaking my own thread unless they made a game out of it but one of my favorite anime songs which yours reminds me of is from Record of Lodoss War (Kiseki No Umi) although lots of the songs from the soundtrack are good that one is probably my favorite which I believe was written by Yoko Kanno and sung by Maaya Sakamoto. I won't go into other popular Japanese female singers but I really enjoy a lot of Japanese music.

NES Zelda, the original...

non-vintage... probably Everquest (aka evercrack, evercamp) Took me years to shake the waste of time games, but the music STILL gets to me!

Nifty. HVSC pulled today. I'd heard it mentioned on the C-64 Takeaway, but I'd only visited RKO. It looks like Stone Oakvalley has the mp3 as well. Still learning my way around the non-Amiga chiptune sites...

Thanks!

Yes, Stone Oakvalley even have multiple recordings depending on SID chip revision. Mainly there would be a difference between 6581 and 8580 but in particular on the 6581 the filtered sound can differ quite a lot between two otherwise identical chips.

While you're onto it, you may look for Nintendo NSF's, ZX Spectrum AY's, Atari 8-bit .. uh, I can't recall the file format extention but a few years ago I pulled home a collection of those too. It can be refreshing to listen through multiple versions of the same music, as several games implemented the same songs in all ports. Some chips were more limited in frequency resolution and tone so a piece of music you loved on one system might have sound pretty bland or awful on another one. That could be one reason why people have strongly different memories of the same piece of music. Of course the same goes for graphics and gameplay, but on the other hand it was part of the charm to have several different systems with varying strengths and weaknesses. On the other hand it is still true today, the beefier graphics card you have (not so much for the sound department), the more detail you can enable without slowing down the game.

lmao.. I remember in Ultima VII I guess I didn't have a legit copy or didn't have the manual or something so when Lord British was asking me questions I was having to guess and never could get them all right. So I couldn't really play the game so I wandered around (finding I couldn't get out of the city.. grr..) Found a TSR "helper" and moved a piece of the wall out of the way so I could leave the city. Added some characters to my party including a dog .. I gave him flight and he ran away :'-( .. anyway I should play that game again now that I do have it on the compilation cd.

I was trying to keep it older but the time line blurs so much for me so one of the first games that really impressed me and had good music was Terminal Velocity (486 era and adlib). That was around when the PC started getting better graphics and actual music in games vs pc speaker ditties.

I'm fairly certain that Terminal Velocity used some form of tracker-based music, and thus not Adlib. Yes, I'm nitpicking again... :blush:

What, no votes for Day of the Tentacle? That has to be one of the best PC game intros of all time! Not to mention one of the best PC games of all time.

As far as I can remember, it was the first PC game I played that had actual audio speech in it. Even the floppy version had spoken audio at least in the intro. I second your nomination! :)

Also, I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned Another World ("Out of This World" for you North Americans). Vector graphics, tracker-like digital audio, and an unusually identical experience on the various different platforms that the game was ported to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNeayv-OTK0 (PC version)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACNPxKhxAjM (Amiga version)

The demo of the hi-res remake can be downloaded here:

http://www.anotherworld.fr/anotherworld_uk/

I saw a friend that got Another World running on an XT with a 16 bit paradise VGA using the PC speaker to output near soundblaster quality sound. What a cool game and good engineering. It was so hard I never finished it though.

I saw a friend that got Another World running on an XT with a 16 bit paradise VGA using the PC speaker to output near soundblaster quality sound. What a cool game and good engineering. It was so hard I never finished it though.

Are you sure that was on an XT? Because Trixter explained to me here that digitally mixed (tracker) music through the internal PC speaker was impossible to achieve on an XT class machine.

If it was indeed an XT, then I'm even more impressed with the programmer(s) of that game. :eek:

Tracker music has to mix tracks together on the fly. Stuff that plays on a PC speaker on an XT will be a single stream. I've heard it before so I know it's possible.

A premixed single stream from disk... You're right, that would be much more plausible. But still impressive, considering it's an XT, and the audio had to be synchronous with the vector graphics in the intro (and VGA performance on XT machines wasn't very spectacular to begin with).

I have some favorites, on different platforms:

Accolade Grand Prix Circuit, in DOS!
Sounds a lot more awesome from the speaker in a IBM PS/2. And I remember playing this on a PS/2 my father bought some years ago, awesome!

And D/Generation by Mindscape, a really creepy and challenging game.
I've only played it on Amiga 500 and 600, I wonder if it's any good in DOS. I used to play this all the time when I thought Amiga was awesome.

Third but not least, Delta.
I've probably spent more time listening to the intro song than playing the actual game. It's something that's true for Arkanoid, I was so disappointed when I realized the game wasn't just the loader to an awesome space game...

Not from my time, but I like the theme from Arkanoid for C64 a lot.

The music that I like the most coming from a pc speaker is the theme from Neuromancer (not an original, but from all the stuff I've heard it's the best).

Probably there is better stuff, but I started playing these games at the same time as I was starting to collect computers.

From my time the only thing that comes to mind is the ambient music from Nightlong: Union City Conspiracy, because it is the first serious game I played.

Anybody else knows this game?

Back