• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Sean's bitching about another suspected Microsoft plot to rule the universe

Umm. Go back and ask your friend with the degree in computer science about virtual memory. It's true that spyware can cause the disk to thrash, but another, very likely explanation is that your XP machine doesn't have enough RAM in it, and is using the hard drive as a cheap substitute.

I'm typing this right now on an XP machine. My disk light is off.

And while it's not as common as Windows spyware, Macintosh spyware does exist. I read about some just this past week. And have you heard of pwn2own? It's a contest where they set up a Windows box, a Mac, and a Linux box. First guy to hack into it gets to keep it. Not only does the Mac get hacked every year, frequently the Mac is the first one to go. For what it's worth, someone manages to hack into all three systems every year. The only secure machine is the one that's not plugged into the network.

That's what encryption is for. Encrypted links can be made extremely secure, when necessary. I've been e-filing for years.

It's not that hard. Functional drivers often are included with the OS. If you don't have one, look on the card. Most network cards use one of a handful of chipsets, for example. It's a good skill to develop. It helped me pay my way through college.

To avoid viruses, download digitally signed drivers from the manufacturer. If the driver has been altered, the digital signature will be invalid, and Windows will lay an egg when you try to install it. And futhermore, you DO have antivirus software installed, don't you? Microsoft Security Essentials is a good, effective antivirus program, and it's free. Don't trust Microsoft? Then I recommend NOD32, published by ESET. It's effective and slows your system down less than any other antivirus program I've seen, because it's written in assembly language.

Speaking as a computer security professional (I'm Security+ certified and currently studying for my CISSP), please, since you've expressed concern about computer security, learn something about it. Spreading assumptions and misinformation about computer security doesn't do anybody any favors. Please, by all means, read up on encryption and digital signatures at the very least (the Wikipedia articles on them are a reasonable place to start).

Actually, after I noticed the computers at the library doing the hard disk reading thing, I looked at all fifteen of them. Only a few were being used at the time, but every single one of them had a flashing hard drive led. When I am using the computer myself, to surf the internet, what happens is that I will go to a new sight and the computer will start accessing the hard drive. Why would a website cause the computer to start swapping?

I'm pretty sure that you still don't have to go through the hoops of searching for drivers with a Mac. They should come on a CD with the new hardware. Oh, and how do you go about downloading drivers when it's your first computer that can access the internet?

I'll thank you not to tell me what to post to the VCFs.

Sean

Actually the G3 came out in 1997 or 98. I had one on my desk--back in the G3's heyday, I worked on both Macs and PCs. By about 2000 or 2001, it was no longer a machine you would want to use every day, unless you don't mind waiting a long time for applications to run. You can install some versions of OS X on them, but OS X was never fast on an original beige G3. Trying to do modern computing on a G3 is very much like trying to run Windows XP or Vista on a 400 MHz Pentium II. Nothing stops you from doing it, as long as you have the amount of memory stated on the box. But that doesn't mean you would want to do it. I've seen Windows XP on a 133 MHz Pentium from 1994. It works. It wasn't fast, and I didn't like using it, but it worked

Well the original beige g3 had a horrible bus, it was designed before job's came back ;)

the G3 that still gets used on a regular basis is my blue and white, it works just fine and even does iTunes, so im not sure what you're talking about OS X not working properly on a g3. The Old world macs did not run OS X well, but the New World ones (the ones in colors) ran it just fine, and continue to do so.

Actually, after I noticed the computers at the library doing the hard disk reading thing, I looked at all fifteen of them. Only a few were being used at the time, but every single one of them had a flashing hard drive led. When I am using the computer myself, to surf the internet, what happens is that I will go to a new sight and the computer will start accessing the hard drive. Why would a website cause the computer to start swapping?

Could be a number of things. Low memory causing paging. Virus scan. Virus definition update. Downloading and applying group policy. Syncing profiles up between the local machine and a file server. Especially in the case of a library PC, which is most likely operating in kiosk mode (I hope it is!), there are lots of things going on in the background that you won't find in a typical home environment.

Why does the drive flash when you go to a new site? Because it's writing the files it downloads to the browser cache, for one. And rendering the page takes more memory than sitting idle, so if the system is low on memory, it could be paging out.

I'm pretty sure that you still don't have to go through the hoops of searching for drivers with a Mac. They should come on a CD with the new hardware. Oh, and how do you go about downloading drivers when it's your first computer that can access the internet?

Every new piece of hardware I've bought in since 1994 came with drivers either on a CD or a floppy. And every PC I've ever set up installed the drivers for its factory-installed hardware during its initial setup. But if that doesn't, for some reason, slam the CD in the drive and install the driver off the CD. It's not a big deal.

But if you lose the CD, or need to update to the latest drivers for whatever reason, they're readily available online from the manufacturer. If you have a name-brand PC, usually you can even go to the manufacturer's site, punch in your serial number or model number, and they'll give you a link to every driver for all of the hardware that came with the system. If you bought aftermarket hardware after the fact, go to that maker's web site. For a Diamond video card with an Nvidia chip on it, you can get a driver from Diamond. Or if Diamond goes out of business, you can still get a driver from Nvidia. If you don't know what you have, there are even free utilities out there that can help you work out what you have and help you find drivers.

I'll thank you not to tell me what to post to the VCFs.

And I'll thank you to know what you're talking about, rather than spreading misinformation or making assumptions that just reinforce your prejudices. Several people here are trying to address your concerns/questions, but you seem to be more interested in arguing than in learning.

And while it's not as common as Windows spyware, Macintosh spyware does exist. I read about some just this past week. And have you heard of pwn2own? It's a contest where they set up a Windows box, a Mac, and a Linux box. First guy to hack into it gets to keep it. Not only does the Mac get hacked every year, frequently the Mac is the first one to go. For what it's worth, someone manages to hack into all three systems every year. The only secure machine is the one that's not plugged into the network.

On the way home I figured somebody might take this as a challenge so that they could tell everybody that they'd hacked into my Macintosh (after I get one). Just for the record, I know about internet security the only thing I need to know: there isn't any.

Of course I plan to use a firewall and anti-virus software, and the latest version of the Mac OS can encrypt your files, and you can restore the hard disk partition with your programs on it back to the original configuration every day, but there's still no guarantee.

I used to access the internet at home, but I stopped because I couldn't keep the spyware out of the system I was using.

Sean

Well the original beige g3 had a horrible bus, it was designed before job's came back ;)

the G3 that still gets used on a regular basis is my blue and white, it works just fine and even does iTunes, so im not sure what you're talking about OS X not working properly on a g3. The Old world macs did not run OS X well, but the New World ones (the ones in colors) ran it just fine, and continue to do so.

I don't think that the Biege G3 can run OSX, but you can use that program at lowendmac to access the internet using OS 9 on one. I bought a couple because they were the last Mac that used the ADB bus - I like the teardrop mouse and a certain aftermarket keyboard who's name I won't mention :)

Sean

When I tried to run OS X on that beige G3, it was too slow to be usable. So I wouldn't know if it worked properly or not. It was just unbearable to use. I wasn't even all that happy with how OS 9 ran on it. As I recall, there was a class-action suit against Apple regarding the beige G3s and how poorly OS X ran on them.

OS X was kind of like Vista, in that regard. Not so great on the older hardware, and got better with time, especially when the hardware caught up.

Sean wasn't talking about OS X on Jobs-era hardware though. He was asserting that a G3 Mac from 1995 was still usable for modern computing 15 years later. Since the G3 hadn't come out yet in 1995, I jumped to the conclusion that he was talking about the original, old-world G3s, which came out a couple of years later than that. And my firsthand experience with those machines doesn't match what he was describing. Of the users I supported, those who stayed with 8.5 and mid-1990s software on them stayed fairly happy with them, but I didn't know anyone who ran OS X on them for anything other than just messing around.

I've seen people put OS X on G3 iMacs and towers. Putting iTunes on them and using them as jukeboxes seems pretty common. But I don't know anyone who's running current or near-current versions of the landmark Mac apps on anything that old. The OS will install and there are some specialized apps that will still run on them, but the same thing is true of PCs.

So why don't you see people running Windows XP on old 400 MHz Pentium IIs? Because there's usually no reason to bother. Twice in the last month, I've been offered P4 machines for $20 or $25. And they were good, business-class machines at that. They would run XP just fine. You probably could even run Windows 7 on them. There's no reason to shoehorn contemporary versions of Windows onto 1998-era hardware when something with 6x the clock rate (which may or may not translate into 6x the CPU power) costs so little.

Not to mention that since so many PCs can be upgraded inexpensively by swapping a motherboard out, some number of PCs don't get the chance to become obsolete. When my wife and I were dating, I took her 350 MHz PC (a Compaq!), swapped the motherboard out, and turned it into a 1.5 GHz PC one Christmas.

Could be a number of things.

I forgot to mention that when I go to a new website and the hard drive starts "thrashing" it keeps doing it for the rest of my session. I'm sure the computers could be doing any of the things you mention, but the fact that they do it while sitting idle and/or do it for so long causes me to think it's possible that the entire drive is being scanned.

I guess this will drive you crazy, but another thing I've heard about modern Windows is that it never deletes anything. If it's true the hackers should have plenty of cache to download. I'm assuming that more than just one is attacking the machines.

Every new piece of hardware I've bought in since 1994 came with drivers either on a CD or a floppy.

Good to know. (See, I'm learning.)

And I'll thank you to know what you're talking about, rather than spreading misinformation or making assumptions that just reinforce your prejudices. Several people here are trying to address your concerns/questions, but you seem to be more interested in arguing than in learning.

Oh no, you misunderstand me. What I am doing is stated right in the subject header. I'm not arguing, I'm complaining. It's a habit that I enjoy and occasionally indulge myself in. You might not have read, or forgotten that I wrote early in this thread that I'd been foiled [again] in my attempt to bash Microsoft. People put words into my mouth, too, certain that my only reason for doing so was because they were a big corporation.

In reality, I don't like Microsoft because they stifle competition. They buy their competitors to do it. I read that they bought the company that used to make Grammatik and incorporated it's features into Word for Windows. The same source said that grammar checking hasn't improved since (1992). I find that easy to believe because whenever I use the feature on the new version of Word (hate the look and feel, btw), it points out all kinds of things that seem perfectly alright to me. My grammar is pretty good, so I think the computer is incorrect instead of me, except in cases where I typed a homonym.

You're incorrect to assert that I haven't been learning from this thread. I hadn't expected to when I started it, but there have been interesting things throughout. I'm glad I posted.

Hmmm, I've been making observations and repeating things I've heard. I'm a disabled vet with a lot of issues (you're welcome for the less expensive gasoline, btw - it sure cost me a bundle), and I need twelve hours of sleep a day or I just lay around and never get out of the house because I feel so tired. If I had the four extra waking hours that the average person had I would study computers more than I do. I do enjoy it when it's not too complicated, like the "For Dummies" books. I read the one on Linux and the parts of the one on Macs that were new to me. I don't think I'll be reading the small print stuff that network engineers enjoy anytime soon.

But telling people what you understand gives them a chance to tell what they know and demonstrate mastery - making themselves look good in the process.

I think you're imagining any hostility on my part. Aside from the statement that I'm not changing my posting style, there isn't any.

Sean

Sean wasn't talking about OS X on Jobs-era hardware though. He was asserting that a G3 Mac from 1995 was still usable for modern computing 15 years later. Since the G3 hadn't come out yet in 1995, I jumped to the conclusion that he was talking about the original, old-world G3s, which came out a couple of years later than that.

Actually what I wrote was that a G3 could run a web browser found on lowendmac that could view modern webpages (or modern webpage content - something like that), but that I thought it wouldn't be able to play video.

To be honest, it was awhile back that I found that program and it might not still be available. I can't even remember what it was called.

I wish you wouldn't tell people that I said things that I didn't, especially since you keep complaining that I am spreading misinformation.

Sean

On the way home I figured somebody might take this as a challenge so that they could tell everybody that they'd hacked into my Macintosh (after I get one). Just for the record, I know about internet security the only thing I need to know: there isn't any.

Hehe. Nothing in life is 100%. :) Internet security isn't all that bad. I've never run any antivirus/spyware software and have been using the net continually since it started. In fact, several of my machines have been on the net 24/7 for a few years now. I honestly don't think that I am lucky, and I'm certainly not a security expert either. I do run *nix and DOS both of which have a decided advantage here. However, from talking to people, and reading on the net, it is clear that there are people who run XP and even the much maligned Vista, without any security problems whatsoever! I'm with you in not trusting Microsoft, and it is probably a safe bet to say that MS is generally "less" secure than some other OSs, but that does not mean that if you do it right it is not going to be as secure as it needs to be. In other words, completely functional.

Of course I plan to use a firewall and anti-virus software, and the latest version of the Mac OS can encrypt your files, and you can restore the hard disk partition with your programs on it back to the original configuration every day, but there's still no guarantee.

If you're really paranoid, why not just switch to some open source system? Just get a run of the mill router for a firewall and forget about the anti-virus etc, etc. It's actually quite relaxing. :)

I used to access the internet at home, but I stopped because I couldn't keep the spyware out of the system I was using.

You're definitely doing something wrong. Like I said earlier, there are people out there who run Vista without incident. For banking purposes, even if you run Windows or Mac stuff, you can still be certain of not getting any virus or spyware simply by using a live CD from any OS. That takes any guesswork out of the equation.

Actually what I wrote was that a G3 could run a web browser found on lowendmac that could view modern webpages (or modern webpage content - something like that), but that I thought it wouldn't be able to play video.

To be honest, it was awhile back that I found that program and it might not still be available. I can't even remember what it was called.

I wish you wouldn't tell people that I said things that I didn't, especially since you keep complaining that I am spreading misinformation.

Sean

You're prob talking about Camino G3, it's modern mozilla optimized for a g3 processor, i use to use it and i do believe it still gets updated as well, they also have a g4 version of the software as well

In fact, several of my machines have been on the net 24/7 for a few years now. I honestly don't think that I am lucky, and I'm certainly not a security expert either. I do run *nix and DOS both of which have a decided advantage here. However, from talking to people, and reading on the net, it is clear that there are people who run XP and even the much maligned Vista, without any security problems whatsoever!

I went 13 years online without so much as getting a "virus found!" notification from my antivirus software. I run XP. My streak ended earlier this year, but the file was quarantined, so it didn't affect me.

I'm with you in not trusting Microsoft, and it is probably a safe bet to say that MS is generally "less" secure than some other OSs, but that does not mean that if you do it right it is not going to be as secure as it needs to be. In other words, completely functional.

Microsoft got religion about security in the mid 2000s. I want to say 2004 or so. If security is paramount, would you be better off running, say, Sun Solaris? Absolutely. But I administered several Windows systems for a few years where a single security violation would have gotten me fired. Along with my coworkers. I never got fired, and my old coworkers are still working there. So it's certainly possible to get acceptable security out of Windows, and there are people who have bet their careers on that, and won. At least so far.

Once Adobe gets religion about security, then we'll all be a lot better off. Apple is much more cavalier than they need to be, but ask 10 security professionals which software company causes them the most grief, and most of them will say Adobe. Maybe all 10.

If you're really paranoid, why not just switch to some open source system? Just get a run of the mill router for a firewall and forget about the anti-virus etc, etc. It's actually quite relaxing. :)

A router isn't a good substitute for antivirus software, but having one rather than relying solely on a firewall on the computer itself is a very good idea. It eliminates a number of possible problems. An Intel buffer overflow isn't going to accomplish anything on the ARM CPU in most routers, for example.

I guess this will drive you crazy, but another thing I've heard about modern Windows is that it never deletes anything. If it's true the hackers should have plenty of cache to download. I'm assuming that more than just one is attacking the machines.

By default, that's true of every operating system I can think of. Rather than deleting a file, they just mark the sectors as unread. That's a much simpler, faster process, and it's also what makes undelete programs possible. Even if you go and zero out the file yourself, it's possible to recover that data, but to do that reliably really requires physical access to the machine.

It seems like we're at a stalemate here. You want to believe the machines are being hacked. I've listed a handful of other possibilities that, in my experience administering Windows machines, are more likely. Especially considering that the library most likely is protected by at least one firewall.

The stakes for a library getting hacked are fairly high, since most of them possess at least a handful of books that would be very difficult and/or expensive to replace. So you want to keep hackers out of the card catalog. Otherwise a hacker will go check out a rare book, hack into the catalog, mark the book as returned, and next thing you know, that book's on eBay. And a library also doesn't want to risk liability for someone using their computers or network to download illegal material. So I'm willing to work under the assumption that a library has good computer help.

In reality, I don't like Microsoft because they stifle competition. They buy their competitors to do it. I read that they bought the company that used to make Grammatik and incorporated it's features into Word for Windows. The same source said that grammar checking hasn't improved since (1992). I find that easy to believe because whenever I use the feature on the new version of Word (hate the look and feel, btw), it points out all kinds of things that seem perfectly alright to me. My grammar is pretty good, so I think the computer is incorrect instead of me, except in cases where I typed a homonym.

I agree that they stifle competition. I'm not sure about Grammatik, but agree that MS Word's grammar checking abilities haven't really improved since 1992. That sounds about right. It's generally accepted that WordPerfect has better grammar checking, and always has. But even when you take works by professional writers and run them through a grammar checker, they'll flag things. The rules of language are a lot more subtle than the rules of math, which is why computers are much, much better at math than they are at grammar checking. Or anything else involving language.

I think it was Jerry Pournelle who once said something like once you write a million words and follow the advice of WordPerfect's grammar checker, then you've earned the right to ignore grammar checkers. I'm paraphrasing big-time. But there's your endorsement of WordPerfect's grammar checking, from someone who's published an awful lot of books.

WordPerfect lost the market share battle to Word a long, long time ago, for various reasons. Bundling Word into MS Office certainly contributed to it. But WordPerfect as an independent company was very slow getting a version for Windows out, and once they did, the early versions were slow and buggy. Then Novell bought them, and was very slow at fixing the problems, and then was late to market with a fully 32-bit version after Windows 95 came out. Lotus had exactly the same problems with 1-2-3, which contributed to Lotus 1-2-3 losing the spreadsheet war to Excel. So I'm less bitter about WordPerfect and Lotus 1-2-3 than I am about, say, DR-DOS and Netscape, where Microsoft spared nothing when it came to dirty tricks.

But those who prefer WordPerfect are rabid about it, and it retains a cult following today.

I'm a disabled vet with a lot of issues (you're welcome for the less expensive gasoline, btw - it sure cost me a bundle), and I need twelve hours of sleep a day or I just lay around and never get out of the house because I feel so tired.

Thank you for your service.

I think you're imagining any hostility on my part. Aside from the statement that I'm not changing my posting style, there isn't any.

I misunderstood you and I apologize.

Sounds like I misinterpreted you. You seemed to be arguing that a 15-year-old old Mac is better and more useful than a slightly dated PC, and this was the crux of your agument. If that wasn't what you intended to convey, then I apologize.

I remember several modern-ish browsers for the old ("Classic?") Mac OS. I think iCab may have been the name of one of them. And there may be someone doing a Firefox port. It's been 8 years since it was my job to keep up on things like that, so I haven't paid a lot of attention.

I said: If you're really paranoid, why not just switch to some open source system? Just get a run of the mill router for a firewall and forget about the anti-virus etc, etc. It's actually quite relaxing.

Dave Farquhar said: A router isn't a good substitute for antivirus software, but having one rather than relying solely on a firewall on the computer itself is a very good idea. It eliminates a number of possible problems. An Intel buffer overflow isn't going to accomplish anything on the ARM CPU in most routers, for example.

Just to clarify. I was thinking that if one was to use something like Linux, then one wouldn't have such a thing as antivirus software. All you need then is a firewall, which is easiest, and in some ways, best accomplished with a router.

@Floppies_only: In case you were not aware, installing Linux nowadays (last 3-4 years) is trivial, and most things for most people work very well right out of the box. If it doesn't, just install a different flavour. :) From a desktop users point of view there is not a lot of difference from Windows. The biggest is that you don't need to install drivers, and you just click on a choice of tens of thousands of software packages to install or uninstall any of them. In the context of the above talk of virus scanners etc, the important thing to note here is that there is no such thing for Linux. Security is accomplished in a different way. I am not complacent about security, but at this point in time there is no easy way for someone outside the house to write anything to my drive and install anything. Other than keep an eye on things, I do nothing.

I would like to say one more thing about installing Linux before someone starts to say that they have had problems installing it. That is that when you buy a Windows machine, it has the OS pre-installed by professionals and you don't have to do anything to consider the hardware. When you install Linux you are on your own. Most of the time it works perfectly (which is amazing), but when it doesn't, please keep in mind that it was not already done for you.

You're prob talking about Camino G3, it's modern mozilla optimized for a g3 processor, i use to use it and i do believe it still gets updated as well, they also have a g4 version of the software as well

I went to a page on Camino G3 on lowendmac and saw iCab, like Dave pointed out. That's the one I saw before. They have several versions:

http://icab.de/dl.php

Even a version for 68000 macs. I imagine that's only good for email, nowadays. I used to read email with Eudora 1.3. It ran off of floppies. But it was slow.

Sean

Sean

I went to a page on Camino G3 on lowendmac and saw iCab, like Dave pointed out. That's the one I saw before. They have several versions:

http://icab.de/dl.php

Even a version for 68000 macs. I imagine that's only good for email, nowadays. I used to read email with Eudora 1.3. It ran off of floppies. But it was slow.

Sean

Sean

I've used 68K iCab semi-recently. Not the worst thing...but pretty bad. Wouldn't wanna do ANYTHING with it.

iCab was awful and slow, I used to have that on my Power Mac 6400/180 that I picked up at Value Village and put OS 8.6 on (so I could run USB). Now it runs IE 5.1....as that's the newest browser I could find.

I'm no big fan of Microsoft, but like another poster said, it pays my bills with all it's problems so it's a love-hate relationship, the kind you can write kooky Tim Wilson-esque songs about. That's not to say I don't have some of their versions that I do actually like (Windows 3.1x, 98SE, and 2000 Pro in particular, I ALWAYS make it a point to have those installed on something). XP has not been the worst esperience ever, but there have been some things I've had to come to terms with, and I don't like how they changed the 7 interface and have to buy/download some non-microsoft piece of software to eat up more system resources to get the old start menu back. I already spent a year and a half getting used to not having Progman.exe, now they want me to TYPE things into the start bar.....I'd rather just go back to DOS by any company. At least then I don't have to click a BUTTON on screen to start typing. I can haul serious arse in DOS weather it be my XT, my Tandy, or my 286, or my 486.

The only reason I ever went with Microsoft at first was because I was VERY late into the computer game, and that's all I knew at the time besides the highly expensive Apple (which still outshined any Wintel box by virtue that it seemed people could still use their Mac SE for all the things people were throwing out their old Wintel boxes to do). So a second or third hand 486 I could put Windows 3.1 or 95 on (albeit very slowly) was the best I could hope for as a teen with practically no budget in 2001. My first machine was a Tandy 1000 SX running DOS......in 1997. Even then, they never got my money until I got my hands on a speedy little IBM PC-330 100DX4 and put Win 98 SE on it after I gave it 4X the memory it originally had, as I was running on second hand copies and anything I could scrape up at the local thrifts and coughinternetcough. I've used just about every major Windows version and found my 3 favs and stuck with em', XP does have a redeeming quality of being able to make youtube videos easily using Windows Movie Maker, which to me is all about the interface, that's the one thing Microsoft has NOT failed at, making good interfaces, and that's how they became so successful. Most people don't want to spend 50 hours learning a new piece of software, they just want to dive in and get it done, and I'm not full of time like when I was 16 and the closest thing to a job I had was making peanuts playing in a local Heavy Metal band. Back then I could spend even stretches of days messing with a new piece of software till my hair went greasy and my eyes looked like they were about to take a long distance trip to Hawaii.

As of late I've been getting back into DOS more, and have had the serious hankering to learn programming myself, just because I think it would be cool to start making my own software, which is the computer equivalent of being able to play god almost. I like the idea that I could maybe learn how to make my own software with great interfaces and running on minimal resources if I worked hard enough at it. I'm just not sure I have the dedication though, it'll mean many hours reading my books and playing with ASM and C++ at the 286 and 486 to get the results I want.

... I already spent a year and a half getting used to not having Progman.exe, now they want me to TYPE things into the start bar...
Why? It's pretty easy to make 9x/XP folders like Progman.exe, no? I almost never use the start menu myself; as you say, then I might as well go back to a DOS text interface ;-)

Back