• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandon TM-100-1 TM-100-2 Service manuals and tech info

k2x4b524[

Veteran Member
Recently i came across a thread started by Tezza from his adventures in Reparing his Kaypro Tandons

However i'm unable to FIND the info he speaks of, the in depth tech info, the stuff that says the loacations of the nitty gritty.

I was able to find Sams computer facts on the TM 100/200 set, also the users manual for the 100/200, but none of them go into detail about what screw does what and all.

I found Tezza's thread VERY informative and would like to apply the information myself if i can, but require the more extensive information that he and others on here possess as after reading his adventure, i would like to undertake maintenence on ALL my full height drives, not just the tandons.

Also, am looking to acquire a copy of Drive Probe if i can find one...

Bitsavers is actually where i acquired the users guide

and this
http://www.ibm5150.net/repair_center.html
is where i got the Sams computer facts

And yes, the 4869 came along wonderfully, once i did it, the worst part was actually getting to the back of the connector off without breaking the tabs, i've spliced cables before *Make my own rounded cables*, so that was easy to manage, plus, i know where i can get another 4869 shell so i can have BOTH an external 5.25 and 3.5 drives that work with the controllers. :)

Mike, that copy of O&S doesn't seem to be complete. It won't be any more illuminating than the Sam's manual.

However, do get the copy of the TM100 User's manual there (3.7M). It's a bit better than the bitsavers copy because it includes schematics, including a couple of revisions. Jugi was never one to let consistency get in the way of profit. :)

(I've got the one for the TM100-4M and it's considerably thicker--and there are at least 3 versions of the PCB for that model).

I found Tezza's thread VERY informative and would like to apply the information myself if i can, but require the more extensive information that he and others on here possess as after reading his adventure, i would like to undertake maintenence on ALL my full height drives, not just the tandons.

It was an adventure indeed! I learnt a lot.

Things haven't been as active on the vintage computer as usual with me...quite a few other things going on in my life at the moment. However, I have another Tandon full height on my 5150 which also seems to have developed an alignment issue. At some stage this month I'll take it over to Philip Avery, plug it into his Model III and scope and we'll see if we can apply the same kind of alignment job he did with the Kaypro one.

Tez

Last edited:
My belief is that if there's a floppy drive failure, it most often involves a a Tandon TM-100 model. You never hear much about problems with Teac drives, it seems to me.

Mike, that copy of O&S doesn't seem to be complete. It won't be any more illuminating than the Sam's manual.
<snip>
Hmm, I'll have to let Marcus know in case it's actually one of his scans; I've got an original hard copy technical manual so I've never looked at those, but I'd have thought that the Sam's would be all you'd need.

FWIW, Marcus also has a Cromemco version here:

http://maben.homeip.net/static/S100/cromemco/camera disks terminal printer/index.html

Mabens site comes up, but i can't get the files to load, the site always locks up. :(

*Edit* They load, but at *Literally* 110bps.. On cable internet..,
Pshaw; bitch, bitch, bitch, everyone's in a hurry... ;-)
I just downloaded 40MB on my dial-up connection; took 2 hours while I watched the Canadian F1 GP, what's the rush...

Last edited:
Thank you chuck :)

While this thread is open. Does anyone know about the Magnetic Peripherals DSDD Full height 360kb drive?
You might look at the CDC floppy info on bitsavers in case it's relevant; I believe some of theirs were in fact MPI drives. What do you want to know about it?

That's the O&S manual that's missing 4 pages; the one on the Cromemco page that I posted is the same manual, but complete.

Actually, I thought that was the same Technical Manual that I have here, which is a pretty informative 120+ pages, but it's not; this one (c) 1981 P/N 023-6011 doesn't seem to be on the 'web, alas.

That's the O&S manual that's missing 4 pages; the one on the Cromemco page that I posted is the same manual, but complete.

Actually, I thought that was the same Technical Manual that I have here, which is a pretty informative 120+ pages, but it's not; this one (c) 1981 P/N 023-6011 doesn't seem to be on the 'web, alas.

Okay, I've replaced the one on my web site with the Cromemco copy, so it can be downloaded using the same link.

That longer manual is what I have for the -4M, but I don't know how applicable it would be for the -1 and -2.

Mike, i'm wishing to adjust the speed on the MPI drives.
Well, in those "good old days" before crystal-controlled direct drives most floppy drives did indeed have a speed adjustment; if there is one it'll probably be the only trimpot on the board and it'll probably be close to the motor driver(s). If you find one, put a strobe disk on the flywheel and adjust back and forth slightly to see if the speed changes.

What's the model number? Maybe I've got some useful info somewhere. Chuck?

Ok
Got 2 FH-Drives in front of me right now

The MPI drive DOES indeed say MPI is a CDC company

Part # 77711800 Lot # 8328
Equip ID NO. # BR8B1A Serial # 242078

The logic board has 3 Pots actually

2 of them are white in color near the center of the board just behind the latch
There is also a Blue one, that looks kinda like the Tandon's larger one, it is sitting on it's side, with the screw facing forward, i think that may be the speed adjust, but want to know for sure

Now, while i've got the attention of the forum again *I once again thank everyone*

I also have a World Storage Technology 360kb Full Height
Model # 211-5 01
Serial 33350
It dates from 1983 by the codes on the chips, it's also got 2 top-facing pots on the logic board, and none like the tandons.

I also found out what my unknown floppy drive is too, it's an
IBM 0384-002 360 KB 5.25 FH FDD

Maybe, if it's a full-height drive, it probably is a model 51 or 52 (or something very similar). Last year, Tezza posted a link to the drive manual here.

If it's the MPI/CDC FH drive that IBM used in the PC XT (type 2) the motor speed control is the 5K trimpot R61.

Last edited:
Tezza is out of bandwidth for the month, i can't download it :( R61 u say? *Note* i looked for the 5k trimmer and that did it. I know i could have figured all this out sooner, but i would rather get a second opinion by one with more experience than i, than brick a 25+ yr old part

Back