• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hooking up this motherboard...

antiquekid3

Veteran Member
Hey guys,

Someone gave me an 8088 motherboard. I recently hooked up a new motherboard for my dad's computer, but I have no clue where to begin on this board. I also have found little to no information on it. But here are some pictures:

IMG_0749.jpg

IMG_0775.jpg

IMG_0768.jpg

IMG_0772.jpg

IMG_0747.jpg

If I want to get this working, what will I need and how do I do it? By the way, this board is not very vintage, but it is an old architecture since it uses the 8088.

Also, why are there two pins lifted on one of the 8088s? Thanks!

Kyle

Looks like a Juko Baby XT to me. Only one 8088 per board, please. The other socket's for an 8087 NDP.

You'll need a display adapter card and matching display (CGA, MDA, MGA,EGA,VGA).
You'll also need a floppy controller and a floppy drive.
--and an XT keyboard--or a XT-AT converter and a PS/2 keyboard.
You can use a variety of power supplies, but an AT or XT one is obviously best.

If you like beeps, a speaker would be nice.

Last edited:
I don't have any kind of video card, nor any kind of card that will fit this bus.

The 8088 is removed from the NPU. I was wondering what it was doing there!

Where can I find a floppy controller? (I think I have a drive that might work...can it be 3.5"? I think I also have a 5.25" too.) How about a VGA card? And maybe an XT keyboard? Oh, and a power supply for starters too! :)

Also, what's that BIOS in there? FLYTEK ST-12? It's from 1989.

Although it looks very similar, it's not exactly a Juko Baby XT. Check out the RAM. Mine has 8 RAM chips all right next to each other. Also, the hookup pins are different too. Mine has three 4-pin headers all in a row, where as the Juko has them spread out a bit more. I'm also missing the jumper right beneath the card slot closest to the CPU.

This one looks REALLY close. Only problem is, the jumpers down at the bottom don't match. I only have one that can be changed, and it's entitled J6, whereas they point to it as J7. And, for what it's worth, they call it the "Super Turbo" and the sticker on here starts with "ST."
http://artofhacking.com/th99/m/U-Z/32241.htm

Kyle

I don't have any kind of video card, nor any kind of card that will fit this bus.

Well you'll need one, unfortunately. You've got nothing onboard!

Where can I find a floppy controller? ... And maybe an XT keyboard? Oh, and a power supply for starters too! :)

eBay's a great place for that... can also pick up a CGA card which will go well with this system. But then you'll need the monitor too... so you may consider one of the 16-bit VGAs that also work in the 8-bit bus, which are plentiful and relatively cheap on eBay as well. You won't get a lot of performance out of it though.

(I think I have a drive that might work...can it be 3.5"? I think I also have a 5.25" too.)

That depends on the BIOS... probably will support at least a 720KB 3.5" floppy (you can use a 1.44MB drive, it will just operate as a 720KB) Also depends on your floppy controller (though most made after IBM's original will support 1.44MB)

Taiwan had a thriving state-sponsored clone business, so designs were often slightly modified, but you can generally figure out what's what. Almost all came with some version of the ERSO (DTK) BIOS--a state-funded clone of the 5160 BIOS.

Hey guys,

Someone gave me an 8088 motherboard. I recently hooked up a new motherboard for my dad's computer, but I have no clue where to begin on this board. I also have found little to no information on it. But here are some pictures:

View attachment 3699

View attachment 3700

View attachment 3701

View attachment 3702

View attachment 3703

If I want to get this working, what will I need and how do I do it? By the way, this board is not very vintage, but it is an old architecture since it uses the 8088.

Also, why are there two pins lifted on one of the 8088s? Thanks!

Kyle

hello
I did buy one of those recently . Try search on german bay "v20 8088 8086", it came with driver and manual :eek:).
Give you more info when I have assembled the pc .
/cimonvg

This one looks REALLY close. Only problem is, the jumpers down at the bottom don't match. I only have one that can be changed, and it's entitled J6, whereas they point to it as J7. And, for what it's worth, they call it the "Super Turbo" and the sticker on here starts with "ST."
http://artofhacking.com/th99/m/U-Z/32241.htm

According to the pictures, CN3 to CN8 in the link matches up with the speaker/turbo/reset/led headers on your board.

It seems like the names of J5 to J8 has been swapped around in the link. I guess this is not uncommon for TH99, as they problably didn't spent too much time control-checking every single entry. As long as the position matches; it should be all rigth.

Looked like all the parity chips have been removed as well, although those should be a lot easier to come by (41256s) than the main memory banks (44256s)
It doesn't really matter since pairity checking can be disabled by Sw1/1. However, if pairity checking is prefered, 41256s has to be applied to the empty sockets and Sw1/1 has to be ajusted correctly.

Another thing, the explanation of Sw1/1 on TH99 is another proof that they didn't control-check the entry for this board. This means that the correct meaning for this switch can only be found by the trial-and-error method.

Last edited:
hello
in manual for my Flytek st-12 it says:
J6 open = 0 wait state (close=1 wait state)
SW1 : on= disable parity check (off=enable...)
SW2 : on reserved (must be on)
SW3 on,SW4 on = ø Kb memeory
SW3 off,SW4 on = 512k
SW3 on,SW4 off = 640k
SW3 off,SW4 off = 1 Mb RAM
SW5 on,SW6on = no display adapter
SW5 off,SW6 on= color (40x25)
SW5 on,SW6 off = color (80x25)
SW5 off,SW6off = mono adapter
SW7 on,SW8on = 1 floppy drive
SW7 off,SW8on = 2
SW7 on,SW8off = 3
SW7 off,SW8 off = 4
/cimonvg
/cimonvg

It's quite likely that, except for display type, all jumpers and switches are in their proper configuration for this board. This was the way they were commonly shipped---drop in, hook up, add cards and go.

And, other than power supply, you don't need any additional motherboard connections to get the thing to work. Just the right adapter cards/peripherals should be sufficient.

Thanks for the tips guys! Once I get my needed peripherals, I know the switching info will come in handy!

Kyle

If "bank 1" is filled with 44256 (x8 ) you should have 1 Mbyte RAM :O) , sw3 and sw4 the placed "off".
..according the manual for my st-12....
/cimonvg

Back