• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

WOOHOO!!! Got my 2810HD!!

OUCH!!! THAT hurt!

OUCH!!! THAT hurt!

Well, it looks like I broke it...
I believe I took out a switching transistor by 'accidentally' shorting 2 pins on an IC... this particular xistr got REAL hot... and now the power button doesnt have its 5v to toggle things on/off with.

I can still force it up by the previous method of grounding the pin on the DC-DC convertor... but yesterday I found another 'lead' on the system issue and placed another piece of the puzzle...

I am NOT gonna steal the Q22 (suspected part) from the CF-270... I may need it to follow the 'main' power-up issue further if this Q22 is not the failed part...

Oh well.... need to clean out the pool filter today anyway. :mrgreen:

A little silver lining..

A little silver lining..

The 2nd 1800hd arrived yesterday and required only the requisite HD 'adjustment' to get it up and running! :D So the 1st will now become a 'parts car'... :shock: of sorts.
(Of course, the battery is trash. Im gonna end up doing a BUNCH of ni-cad recycling soon!!!)

For example, I know it has the Q22 I believe is necessary to fix the 5v issue on the 2810.

It also had an interesting selection of software on it... including 123r24 and stacker 1.x... and laplink3. Which only works with an actual laplink cable... as I eventually remembered. :wow: Gotta LUV interlink/intersvr!! The drive is now 'in storage' and someday I will bother to make a CD of these HDs for 'future use'...

Unfortunately today is POOL DAY... :cool:

'In absentia'...

'In absentia'...

Have been MIA a bit recently... too many irons in the fire as it were...

Recently acquired a 3800hd which came with a Tandy JP-250 (a.k.a Canon BJ-5)...
The 3800 had its own 'extra memory' (the 30-pin kind) so both it and the 1800hd (#2) have a full complement of RAM, plus I have 'spares'.
It also had a 60Mb drive (CP2064) which needed the usual 'prodding' IOT work again, but came up purring contentedly... well, evenually anyway.

The Everex I got from kishy will soon be the proud user of another display I fought to get yesterday (from UPS, natch)... Dont know if the backlight will operate yet, but at least the display SEEMS to be in one piece... AND it had a MEMORY UPGRADE card in it!!! Only one, but that is enuf to find out how to build more! :D :D Otherwise it is mostly a parts machine.. the display hinge mounts were damaged somehow and it kinda 'flopped around'. Of course, it came 'as is'... but I mainly wanted it for the display...

I have made ZERO progress on the 2810, CF270 OR the memory card(s) for them...
I have been trying to redo the board in a PCB design program supplied by a specific manufacturer and the learning curve is beginning to 'upset' me... alot! Patience is in short supply at my house right now! :shocked:
... And now I have another board to build
... a NiCd battery to finish 'rebuilding' (plus 3 that still need 'gutting')
... 2 machines to resurrect from the dead-and-deader
... one that needs its 'sight' back... (EDIT: mostly done-- it still has occasional backlight issues but the display itself is 100% !!!)

I need a vacation from my 'hobby'. :mrgreen:

Last edited:
An interesting observation

An interesting observation

I decided to put the Panasonic CF-270 back together yesterday... mostly to keep the parts together...

When I put power to it, and powered it up...

IT took nearly 3 FULL seconds for it to fail.

I need to look at the schematics again... but I may not be able to figure this out without some help. I may not be as talented as I once believed... alzheimers, maybe.
:wink:

EDIT:

I believe Ive been over-thinking this (these) problem(s).
The failure ALWAYS seems to happen upon enabling the backlight. Even during the long-delayed powerup, it did NOT fail UNTIL the backlight was enabled. (Ive seen this delay on the 3800 when the battery and PS had been disconnected... it needs a CMOS battery right now and goes thru a longer powerup when it has to 'start over'..)

I am CERTAIN that it is not due to unusual drain from the backlight assembly/CCFT as it does so even when the entire display panel is disconnected.
So?
The new focus is on the subcircuit that powers up the CCFT. Wish me luck! :shock:

Last edited:
Believe I have (FINALLY!!) a handle on the 'oops'. Looks like the chip I shorted is dead.

Will have to confirm by checking voltages on the Panasonic, but inputs show 9v +/- , and another tell-tale area is being powered. (the resume battery charge circuit...)

I THINK that this area had been dead before... which may have been fixed by replacing the xistr that got hot... but either way, there is a good chance that (presuming I dont trash the replacement chip getting it of the other board) the status-quo may return soon!

Once this 'defect' has been corrected I can return to the original problem at hand...
:D

EDIT: I am pleased to report that the 'oops' is now corrected... the 8850 regulator has been replaced with a 'donor' and we are now 'back in business'.... of being broken. :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Time to get serious about this...

Time to get serious about this...

The repair of the 'persistent power' issue has forced me to realize that I am not going to be able to fix this thing by scouring the schematics alone.

I must be willing to risk sacrificing the machine to the computer god (presuming there is one...) and start testing my theories through dismemberment(s)/part swapping(s)...

Therefore:

I intend to begin at the two transistors (Q2 and Q3) that enable the -22v power to the LCD panel. I believe they are configured such that if the Q2 were to fail/short, it could allow the -22v to back-feed into VCC with the likely result of 'killing everything'.

I also need to find someone with the ability to read the 80C51 (power mgmt control) in hopes of learning exactly what is happening, and when. I can test the individual circuits one-at-a-time but knowing what it is doing would be a major asset to this endeavor.

This is presuming that the chip can even be read. I know that these devices can be set to 'read protect' or somesuch... I can only hope that Panasonic/Tandy didnt bother with that.

I had planned to start tonite here at work (as I do alot of sitting around...) but as I managed to forget my el-cheapo logic probe and desoldering braid, I will instead put it off again... at least one more night...

On the GRID...

On the GRID...

As of yesterday I now also have a GRID 1755. After some 'playing around' with it, the only issue it now has is a DALLAS clock with a bad battery. (Which I SHOULD have here and available.)
It also now has a 1gb HD and a 387 MPU.

I am pleased to learn that it also has a modem... which appears to be a 14.4...
Slug for 'us', but the fastest the TANDYs had was 2400/9600fax...

Quite happy !

EDIT:
I now have the clock out... but I think I'll wait until I can put in a low-prof socket first... then I can change it again if this one goes down.
:mrgreen:

Last edited:
Test 1: Q2 and Q3

Test 1: Q2 and Q3

Today I removed, in order, Q2 and Q3.
Q2 and Q3 are responsible for supplying -22v to the LCD panel, and Q2 was suspected of shorting which would allow -22v to be impressed onto the 5v VCC line.

Removal of both in sequential order did not affect the powerup (in)ability.

Test 2:
It is possible to get the system to come up to 'some sort of' power-on state by grounding a specific line that feeds to multiple ICs. This line will be completely researched to determine what all it affects and how.

The upside?
At least Im getting better at removing/installing spider-a$$ tiny parts! :mrgreen:

Test 2: A bit of Deja Vu and The P2.5 line

Test 2: A bit of Deja Vu and The P2.5 line

The data line from the 80c51 (power mgmt control) labelled P2.5(pin 29), if pulled low (bwo the el-cheapo logic probe I built) while executing power-up (pressing the button!;)) seems to enable a mostly complete power-up sequence:

** Button is pressed,
** P2.5 goes high (logic probe glows weakly),

1) Keyboard lights come on and clear (numlk,scroll, 'special' lights),
2) System accesses the floppy drive,
3) System accesses the hard drive,
4) System beeps twice.

** P2.5 goes low (logic probe goes out).

At this point the probe can be removed and the system will remain active (by indication of the power/speed light). The system will drop/shut off if the probe is removed BEFORE this point.

It will sit there spinning the hard drive and remaining quiet UNLESS a key (or reset button, obviously) is pressed, presumably causing an interrupt (tbd). I presume this interrupt causes the PMC to reassess its inputs and recheck things...

There are only 4 ICs (as discovered so far) that are DIRECTLY affected by this line:
1) the 80c51 PMC (originator),
2) an HC273 (pin 14, INPUT from 80c51-29) which is where the probe is usually placed. HIGH on this line is ORed into a NMI,
3) an HC174 (pin 13, INPUT from 80c51-29), whose HIGH output (pin 15) is responsible for enabling the -22v to the LCD panel (LCDSW).
4) the 727459 Battery mgmt control (pin 15) INPUT FROM 80c51-29. The 459 feedbacks various info regarding charging status and as-yet-unknown 'stuff'... :cool:

While on the subject of the BMC...

I have done some more poking around and found out that there MAY be a charging problem with the 2810... which may be related to the power-up issue... and maybe not.
Specifically, It shows NO attempt to produce voltage (of any significance) at the battery-charge terminals when 'tricked' into believing a battery is there. Or so I think... the behavior of 2810 SEEMS similar to the 1800 in design.

MORE interestingly, when there is NO battery at all, the LOWBAT light (red) BLINKS... and that is the 1st time (I know of) that Ive seen that.
EDIT: was caused by a 'short' rather than a 'resistance' like the probe
Now that the 'weekend' is showing up I may learn more!

A previous entry... very early on.
I did some more checking of the power/charging circuits due to the feedback mentioned above, and found:

The 2810 (& CF270) show 0.19v on the battery pins [BATv] in a quiescent state, while showing 2.53v on the 'overheat sense[tsens]' line at the same time. If tsens is brought down above 0 (the probe drops it by about 1/2 to 1.77v) the charge sequence is begun and BATv goes to 17.6v (approx). Once tsens is released BATv returns to 0.19v.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I changed out the J220 transistor that switches the voltage to the charge.
The BATv now rests at .25v instead of .19v...

Edit2: The BATv has settled back down to 0.19v. This MAY be normal after all... :(

However, the 1800 and 3800 show different values, specifically a tsens of 5.12v and BATv of 3.65v. I believe (edit: hope) the powerup issue may be caused by the discrepancy between the values shown by the 2810 and the 3800.

(IF tsens is pulled to 0 ALL units' charge lights blink RED. I believe this is normal.)

I am well aware that:
1) These are mechanically different systems, and
2) I do not have schematics available for the 3800 to do any verifiable comparisons.
3) I do not have a WORKING 2810 system to check values.

At the same time, I have little reason to believe that charging circuits for the SAME MAKE/MODEL of battery would have such disparate operating values. I only hope I am correct in this assumption.

IF ANYBODY has a Tandy 2810hd or Panasonic CF270 who would be willing to check these voltages I would be ETERNALLY GRATEFUL!!!

Last edited:
Test 2: RESULTS (complete)

Test 2: RESULTS (complete)

(Edited to reflect termination of Test 2)

Some results for this test:

The charging circuit CAN BE ASSUMED to be working correctly..
1) The GRID 1755 uses the same family BMC and shows the same overall values.
2) Exception 1: the BATv for the 1755 is 0 as opposed to 0.19v... minor difference.

According to the schematics, BMC pin 29 is supposed to be LOW when AC is supplied. Both the 2810 and 270 show +9v at all times. However, the working 1755 also shows +9v at pin 29. This issue must be considered invalid.

At this time, the 2810 AND 270 are in 'operating' state per the method described previously. Testing will continue.

UPDATE:
Confirmed BMC pin 29 at 0.02v under the following conditions: (at CF270)
1) BATTERY CONNECTED
2) PWR SUPLY CONNECTED
I have no reason to doubt the same condition on the 2810,
however it will be tested 'eventually'. Edit: confirmed

Last edited:
Test 3: Diode D26 and NMI/general interrupt structure

Test 3: Diode D26 and NMI/general interrupt structure

As stated in Test 2, the P2.5 (pin 29) line, when held low (bwo cheap logic probe) will allow the system to come up to a stable (tho incomplete) state.

Among other things, this line also feeds a dual-input OR gate that
1) generates a Non-Maskable Interrupt, and
2) causes the PMC to scan/clear incoming related interrupts.

I have confirmed that the system remains stable UNTIL some interrupt (such as keyboard input, reset button) occurs.
A transition has been observed on P2.5 from the logic probe during keyboard input which would have translated into the NMI mentioned. (It appears to be masked by the presence of the probe.)

As this situation has been observed, there are 2 stages to this phase:

1) Check of diode D26 CLEARED - OK
.... D26 is connected between the ACIN* (active LOW) signal and the LCD backlight control circuit. A short of this diode COULD possibly force ACIN* high when it should not be and cause the power-up issue seen.
.... Seems a likely suspect given the observed failure of system power which coincides with the activition of the backlight assembly. (D26 is located on the backside of the system board. Testing will be delayed until complete disassembly is possible.)
This diode is a 3-leg surface mount. There seems to be adequate fwd/rev current difference but this is true for only one 'side'. Finding a datasheet for this device will be required before final determination.
EDIT: Confirmed design of D26 and '3rd leg' is not connected. Operability of diode OK.

*** I may have spoken too soon... D15 and D26 are supposed to be the same type but show radically different values (15 showing approx 280/0 and 26 showing approx 280/1900. D26 is also located on the backside of the system board UNDER THE HEAT GENERATING DC/DC converter. I believe REMOVAL of D26 for testing is warranted.
(Finding a suitable replacement will be the challenge. :shock: )
EDIT: With diode D26 removed good/duplicate values seen. Diode D26 GOOD. (Final answer! :D)

2) Signal trace of interrupt structure (COMPLETE)
.... Barring pass/fail of #1, determination of exact sources of interrupt(s) must be made to help determine the point where power is removed from the DC/DC converter (the source of MAIN 5v power as well as -22v to LCD).

Nearly all the interrupts are handled thru an 'I/O controller', but there are a few that are passed to the PMC. Specifically, the LACK of 'persistent power' (PPv) (a HIGH input) OR the BATTCHG2 signal from the BMC causes BATTCHG1(high). BATTCHG1(high) generates an interrupt to the PMC (BATTCHG1 is an ACTIVE LOW signal bwo 2-input NOR).
The 5274 previously mentioned (RE the ACIN* line) appears responsible for taking over the PPv output bwo diode D15. This diode may have failed which would drop PPv and crash the power system. The 5274 itself will be tested as possible for proper values...

Test 3 is considered complete pending datasheet for D26.
Post-EDIT:
I had recently stated (and deleted) that testing D15 was illogical. That MAY be in error... the MAINv (bwo the DC/DC converter) would hold the system up while failure of D15 SHOULD cause an unwanted interrupt bwo BATTCHG1(high). :roll:

Last edited:
Time for a break...

Time for a break...

Upon return.... more in-depth checking of the PMC-related interrupts.

I admit... Im STUMPED!

I admit... Im STUMPED!

This problem has gone beyond infuriating.

I have not been able to find ANYTHING that directly affects this issue.
The P2.5 line that will keep it running when LOW is a 'power-control-local-bus'... it is limited to the 4 ICs Ive mentioned before.

I have SEEN the INTR line toggling during 'stable-state' operation. There seems to be NO interrupt present on IC12 that feeds PMC-related NMIs to the PMC. Using the probe on the 2-input NOR to mask the output to the interrupt does not work.

The dual-darlington (Q24) that enables the MAIN5v (and -22v) from the DC/DC converter has been swapped but did not affect the control.

I do not know if doing comparisons with the GRID 1755 would yield anything useful even tho it does use the same family BMC. However, this seems to be the only current option available.

That must wait until the parts (CMOS batteries, etc) arrive from Digikey. UPS. GROUND.
A FULL FRICKIN WEEK cause USPS wont allow lithium batteries anymore. :curse:

Time to hit the showers.... literally! :shock:

A FULL FRICKIN WEEK cause USPS wont allow lithium batteries anymore. :curse:
Who is telling you that? The regulations state that small lithium batteries are still mailable. We do monthly courses on regulations about Shipping Lithium batteries.

See 622.52 on http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c6_003.htm

Digikey probably just doesn't want to deal with the requirements of the post office. UPS has the same requirements by the way, they just don't ask as many questions.

Who is telling you that? The regulations state that small lithium batteries are still mailable. We do monthly courses on regulations about Shipping Lithium batteries.

See 622.52 on http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c6_003.htm

Digikey probably just doesn't want to deal with the requirements of the post office. UPS has the same requirements by the way, they just don't ask as many questions.

(Im growing tired of this HP's keyboard... If I dont disable the touchpad, I almost ALWAYS have to type a message twice.)

Well, that's what Digikey said... 'they were UNABLE to send them by mail'... give-or-take....

A timely improvement

A timely improvement

I am pleased to say that the GRID 1755 now has a new socketed clock chip/battery and is happy to be operating again... without the configuration error message. :cool:

I think I will let it 'stretch its legs' a bit before I attempt to use it for diagnostic testing of the BMC/PMC connection.
... and, attempt (again) to install windows 95 on it. :eek:

To that end, the Panasonic is going back together... again. I think it takes me less than 5 minutes to disassemble these things now! :shock:

Hey. Why not? Dont have to leave it there... but certainly have enuf room for it! :mrgreen:

EDIT: It looks like I may need to get an original 1287... instead of the 12887 (newer, more RAM) than I have...
My LPT1 has 'gone missing' and is not being shown by the BIOS... I THINK it is because of the additional RAM in the clock chip... but I will have to BUY an original now IOT find out for sure.
... and of course, I cant copy the 95 install without it... :mad:
Other than that, the 1755 is 'clam-happy'...
Now, to put the batteries in the 1800 and 3800...
:shock:

Last edited:
Is everybody HAPPY!!!

Is everybody HAPPY!!!

With the exception of the GRID's LPT issue, everybody (but the Panasonic) has a good CMOS battery and is chugging along!
(Yes, even the 2810 which had a good battery from the start!) :shock:

I realized in the battery change, that the 3800 is sporting a Cyrix 486sx along with the add-in 387 math chip...
SO Im attempting to get 95 on it while I wait for the GRID to come back.....

I only wish the 3800 had more ram... only 3mb... may not be enough but it is unlikely that it would accept the 4mb 30-pin simms even if they were 'low profile'...

But we'll see what happens tonite! :D

Long Hiatus is over...

Long Hiatus is over...

Finally did some more snooping around the 2810, and comparing that to the GRID... specifically the BMC.
Found that a pin that SHOULD be 0-5v was showing 'Resume battery charge voltage'...

I HAD intended to pull a transistor from the circuit to see if it was responsible for causing the 'mostly 9v' level on this pin... but, as usual, I forgot to bring everything to work... so it will have to wait until I get home.

I seem to remember getting the same values from the panasonic, which is why I ignored it... there IS a pin that SHOULD show that voltage... and does. It wasnt until I pulled the GRID apart again that I found the discrepancy. (The GRID and the 2810/panasonic share a common Battery Management Controller type...)

Other than this, I have not been able to discern the problem... and am close to using BOTH of them as doorstops. (I have alot of doors... ;) )
EDIT:
(... and a replacement 1287 has arrived for the GRID but the LPT is still AWOL... MUST have shorted something when I soldered the socket in... will check!)

But... I havent given up... YET !

Edit 2:
Well, No transistor in that circuit, NOR the diode, are responsible for any 'obvious error'.... tho the missing diode WILL cause the charge light to go RED suggesting an error/problem. So much for that! :(

Last edited:
If all else fails...

If all else fails...

.... buy another one that apparently doesnt work! :shock:

Found another one on Ebay that is apparently completely DOA... hoping that I am correct in my belief that 1) it has the modem in it, and 2) MIGHT therefore have some extra RAM hiding underneath...

Who knows... it might even boot up for me...

Riiiiiiight....:cool:

If nothing else, it can/will be another example of what seems to be a recurring problem with these units.

Some new life...

Some new life...

Well, the LAST one I bought was almost COMPLETE JUNK!
about the only thing I could salvage was the head assy from the floppy drive! :shock:

However, I got YET ANOTHER one that arrived today...

Although it wont boot with the LCD CONNECTED it WILL BOOT withOUT it.
which means I was able to run the setup program and DEFAULT to the external CRT...

Once the LCD is disabled the panel can be connected again and it will boot that way.

So?

Its looking MORE and MORE like the LCD control section... either the backlight area AND/OR the -22v supply...

More testing to come... :D

Back