• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

atari 400/800xl.....problems

I know very little about the Atari 8-bit series, but does the Atari DOS version in use depend on what is installed in the computer or the drive? My thinking is that if the floppy disks were formatted with a newer DOS version than what the 1050 drives recognize, could it result in BOOT ERROR despite the Rana drive works? If so, the Rana drive supposedly would have a newer, compatible DOS version).

Alex,

I may be mistaken but your posts give the impression that you are going far too fast on this. If 8-bit systems like the Atari are new to you, there is a steep learning curve ahead. Most are not intuitive unlike today's systems. It requires quite a bit of background reading and understanding. You won't get tutorials on the basics from this forum, as these are out there on the web for all to study. People might point you in the right direction but that's about all they can do.

My approach would be to forget about SIO2PC at the moment. The SIO2PC system assumes you know the Atari disk system inside-out. Concentrate of learning all you can about the disk operating system of Atari 8-bits and how they work from the users perspective. That stuff can be quite complex. There are different disk densities to consider and whole lot of other stuff besides. Without understanding that you won't know what might be broken and what might not.

Tez

As others have suggested, you're trying to go too fast when you don't understand the basics. Understandably you have all these goodies but you won't be able to really use them until you climb the ladder of learning about the alternate platform which 8-bit Atari's or any other non-MS computers are. It's like giving a kid a mainframe when he has only used toy computers. You can always get help here when you recognise specific problems, but first you have to learn the basics of a non-MSDos platform. All platforms have a D(isk) O(perating) S(ystem). A DOS of some sort. Not MSDOS. Tho some are compatible with the Microsoft DOS version, which is the basis of most newer common Operating Systems, most are not. Linux, Apple or Sun systems are all different platforms and you wouldn't expect their disks to be able to run on a MSDOS system. The 8-bit Ataris sometimes only used single-sided floppies, and even the Atari DOS versions you use can have much different capabilities. Hardware also has different capabilities and while the Rana drives are the cadillacs of 8-bit Atari floppy disk drives, you still have to learn the differences with the 1050s. And of course there is the earlier 810 which many Atari 8-bit users attest will work better with the non XL Ataris.

Start simple with a basic setup, and work up the learning ladder from there. Beside the extensive Atari 8bit FAQ, you might check out the old usenet group comp.sys.Atari.8bit which has an immense wealth of info for new Atari 8-bit users.

Lawrence

Last edited:
No luck... I'm going to try buying diffrent drives off eBay or something... I looked inside of the drives and there was no belt and some of the boards were broken on both of the 1050s.... Well that might be a problem.... Don't ya think??? oh well.... You win some, you lose some.... It kinda sucks though..... So do you guys think that eBay would be the way to go or is there some where else I can get them with a warinty type thing? Or am I just better off with just sticking to commodore stuff???? Really thanks for all the help you guys have been giving me!!!!!

-Alex

In your original post here you said you 'bought' these items, but you didn't state where.
Now you are wondering if eBay might be a good source of gear to get your Atari 'system' going.
Keep in mind that if you aren't experienced at eBay vintage gear buying that it IS an art form. You can get just as badly burned off eBay as you did with your current Atari 1050's (ref. no belt on one and some broken boards! - ouch!) You got stung! Happens to the best of us sometimes, though.

If you are new to eBay you should only venture bids on systems that are stated as 'good working condition'. Don't settle for the 'powers on' vagueness that most sellers use. In your specific case, I suggest only going with known working drives. 1050's are for sale all the time on eBay, be patient and cull out a good auction, and you may yet profit from your loss :)

In my opinion, the best way to get started with an 8-bit Atari computer is with cartridges. They are very reliable and extremely simple to use, and you can collect a wide variety of games and other software. Many of the disk-based games were later re-released on cartridge for the Atari XE series, and these will all work fine on the 800XL. A disk drive is nice to have, but not really necessary to enjoy an Atari computer.

Most of the individual cartridges on eBay are expensive, but if you're a little patient you can get a good deal on a "lot" of cartridges for the 8-bit Ataris. Just make sure you're getting cartridges for the 400/800/XL/XE computer series; the much more common Atari 2600 cartridges will not work!

8bitcart.jpg

Note: The cartridge pictured on the lower right is an Atari 5200 cartridge, which won't work, either. All the others shown are for the 8-bit computer series.

Yes, cartridges are a good way to go, and there are some good deals still to be made. I picked up 5 of these 8 Atari carts off eBay just this past week for less than two dollars.

attachment.php

Can't beat that. Another half dozen went for a little over 3 bucks, but I didn't catch those. The standard Atari joysticks can be had cheaply too.
Perhaps a good sidetrack while you work on getting a 1050 drive for your system there, marioplayr.

hey guys.... i don't really know how but i fixed the cassette drive!!! i had to replace the belts on the inside and i just kinda messed with it and now it works!!!! i know for the commodore 64 you can hook up a cassette recorder up to your PC and record the game from the internet onto the cassette and play it in the commodore 64..... can you do that with atari computers and if so..... where do you find the games???? thanks a bunch for all of your help!!!!!

-Alex

Back