• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

how to access roms?

harry

Experienced Member
I have recently managed to get my commodore 8296 working, and as there are two additional roms , ue9 has wordpro 5+ and ue10 has visicalc, it would be good to access the roms and see if they still have the programs working.
I have searched my books, and web sites, but no where is a simple explanation of the required code, or command to enable these roms? I assume I am needing to use a sys. call, but at what memory locations are ue9, and ue10? any help or links to relative info much needed.............. thanks......Harry

Last edited:
I have recently managed to get my commodore 8296 working, and as there are two additional roms , ue9 has wordpro 5+ and ue10 has visicalc, it would be good to access the roms and see if they still have the programs working.
I have searched my books, and web sites, but no where is a simple explanation of the required code, or command to enable these roms? I assume I am needing to use a sys. call, but at what memory locations are ue9, and ue10? any help or links to relative info much needed.............. thanks......Harry
Afraid it's not quite that simple, Harry:

UE9 is @ $A000 and UE10 @ $9000, but those ROMs are not complete programs, only add-ons to the main programs mainly as 'keys' for the purpose of copy-protection and to reduce the main program's memory usage a little; you will also need the main Wordpro and Visicalc programs.

Rom locations:
http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/schematics/computers/pet/8296/324644-1of9.gif

Binaries of WP & VC ROMs:
http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/firmware/computers/pet/other/index.html
http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/pet/roms/index.html

mike

It's not quite that simple.

UE9 is @ $A000 and UE10 @ $9000, but those ROMs are not complete programs, only add-ons to the main programs mainly as 'keys' for the purpose of copy-protection; you will also need the main Wordpro and Visicalc programs, I'm afraid.

Hi Mike, thanks for info, thats put the brakes on my ideas! were the main programs available only on disk? reading about the 8296, It seems there was much other buisiness software available as roms, some preinstalled when the machines were sold. would be good to use some other software on the machine.....Harry

Hi Mike, thanks for info, thats put the brakes on my ideas! were the main programs available only on disk? reading about the 8296, It seems there was much other buisiness software available as roms, some preinstalled when the machines were sold. would be good to use some other software on the machine.....Harry
Yes, they would be on a disk. I might have both VC and WP somewhere, complete with manuals and ROMs, but I'd be surprised if they're not already out there somewhere.

mike

Yes, they would be on a disk. I might have both VC and WP somewhere, complete with manuals and ROMs, but I'd be surprised if they're not already out there somewhere.

mike

Mike, thanks for replies, at least you have sent me on another trail, I can do some more searching,and see what turns up ...great stuff ....Harry

Both VisiCalc and Wordpro are found at Zimmers FTP. Look in the pet/utilities directory.
But are the manuals on line anywhere? And I think that's a pretty old version of WP; don't know if it'd work with Harry's 5+ ROM but worth a try I suppose.

Back